Forum

From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 20-12-19

4 years 4 months ago #80689 by yankeedawg1
From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 20-12-19 was created by yankeedawg1
Good Day All,

Some miscellaneous ramblings….. Early NSD brought us another group of very talented recruits… and yes they like all recruits have to be coached up..

And like many including NcDawg have stated…. No need to get excited until they are on campus and in class…. We will have several taking part in. Bowl practice and starting classes in January ….. again HC and staff did another great job of putting together a class that addresses our needs and continues to build quality position depth…. A very good thing…

Among other targeted needs we added speed and talent with several WR recruits…. As Buc noted this group will have the opportunity to see early playing time…..

I am Impressed with the job Matt Luke has done in such a short time… truly sorry to see Coach Sam leave I wish him well and like CJP he has left a very positive mark on Georgia football ….

Not surprised that our two starting tackles are sitting out our bowl game and turning pro….. I am surprised and disappointed that Big Ben has been declared academically ineligible for our bowl game…. I am hoping #74 attacks the books next semester and gets reinstated for spring practice ….

I like our HC’s statement… that we are only going to take players to New Orleans who want to play…. Kirby has learned to leave the distractions in Athens…..

Wishing everyone a “Merry Christmas “……. Remember the reason for the season…..

Pause and give thanks…. Blessed

Have a great weekend and a safe week

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80690 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 20-12-19
Within the last three days, Blaske talked with UGA head coach Kirby Smart and the new offensive line coach Matt Luke.

Blaske said Luke likes smaller, quicker linemen.

Austin Blaske comment above leaves little doubt that "offensive schemes" are being discussed in Athens.

Prior to Smart and Company taking over, previous group of coaches seemed to have the same thoughts about "mobile offensive linemen". Maybe with Coach Luke taking over the offensive line we will see positive changes in 2020 and beyond. Have a feeling that Coach Luke is going to remain in Athens for a long time.

Austin also wrestled in high school, very successful on the mat. Has to understand leverage to become a wrestler and participate in that sport.

www.hudl.com/video/3/6409605/5d9d51dcb53f500ef81bda5e
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
4 years 4 months ago #80691 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 20-12-19
I've always thought there's a happy medium between mammoth OL and quick OL....Size is very important, but quickness is also very important, especially if you want to have flexibility and variation in your blocking schemes. Pulling OL getting beat to the spot don't really have an opportunity to help. DL shooting past reach blocks doesn't help the RB. I've seen several examples of both this past year. That's where proper training, weight management, diet, and conditioning must be specifically designed for each player. It's easier to get tall, lean, quick guys and make them bigger, than it is to try and make a behemoth quicker. Enough of that.

Has anyone else noticed how much space the Dawgs occupy in the heads of the Clemsonites…? It's almost getting to be pitiable..... They're 13-0, about to face the best team they've seen all year, and all they are focused on is why UGA is ranked 5th in the CFBPlayoff rankings. Sheesh, it's been several years since we slapped them around. Oh well, maybe the Buckeyes will give them something else to whine about.

Wasn't expecting a lot from ESD, but now that most of the hay is in the barn, it looks to have been a very successful effort. Of course, we won't know for certain just how successful until these guys actually play games, but the horses look good in the pasture.... I saw a quote from Jimbo about the importance of recruiting: 'I never heard of anyone winning the Kentucky Derby riding a donkey...' I had to paraphrase since Jimbo sometimes has his own language.

I'm excited to watch the Playoffs. There should be plenty of fireworks on offense. The winner will be the team with the best defense.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, and a safe and Happy New Year.

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

More
4 years 4 months ago #80692 by Buc
SimpleDawg, digging in the past sparked a couple of thoughts. Million years ago when I played football, couple of my teammates were recruited by Frank Howard and they chose Clemson to display their talents. Clemson not unlike Auburn depends heavily only recruiting the State of Georgia for talent. Point I am trying to make . . . . football in those two universities has "always" been reliant on Georgia high school players. Was true back in the day, true today, maybe even more so.

Not quite sure what I am seeing now with our recruiting, but I do believe Kirby Smart's "process" is extremely good. To this day I still hate seeing players from Georgia leaving, but I comfort myself knowing that Kirby Smart knows best. Also add this . . . . we have been real successful recruiting talent from Florida, especially South Florida. I hope that continues, numbers of talented players in high school football in South Florida is off the scale. Lots and lots of schools trying hard to get signatures, every year.

Throw this out for what it is worth . . . . Jake Fromm will not improve his NFL recruiting number if he stays another year in Athens. NFL scouts know all they need to know about Jake. If Fromm chooses to play another year, I believe it will be because he "knows" that Georgia will need a very experienced quarterback in 2020. Jake Fromm is that. I see Jake much like I view Drew Brees. If Jake Fromm is in the right system, he can and will be successful. Is Georgia's system right for Jake? Up until 2019 FANS and media alike were talking National Championship, without taking a second breath. I am one that believes Jake was not hurt by the offensive system in Athens. I believe any team that loses the number of pass catching players we did limits itself when it comes to National Championships. My opinion is that Jake had to take a lot more on himself in 2019 and sometimes the load gets "real heavy".

Will there be changes on the offensive side of the ball? Sure thing, that is the way the game is played this day and time. How many of us thought that Jackson would be the absolute "darling" of the NFL in 2019? Players change, coaches change, been that way since Notre Dame passed the damn football "back in the day". In 202 Georgia will change . . . . bet that. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 4 months ago #80693 by Buc
For those that have not heard or read about this yet . . . .

GOOD-BYE GARY DANIELSON . . . .

I like Brad Nessler, has a better delivery and understands the game to a point.

www.si.com/college/2019/12/21/sec-leaving-cbs-after-2023

Downside . . . . Disney gets stronger, my thoughts . . . . not good. Getting a return inch by inch on their SEC Network investment. Only competition at this point with Disney is FOX. I prefer FOX. Living in Florida and having done business with Disney in the past, I have witnessed their absolute need for TOTAL CONTROL. They usually win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 4 months ago #80694 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 20-12-19
I have a fire going in the fireplace....coffee in hand..

First signs of the dreaded college football withdrawals.....

Buc... absolutely believe there will be changes with our

Football team beyond just adding new players....

We all remember the QB folly after AM played his last game as a Dawg..

Hopefully CKS has a better plan than CMR...

Our trip to Tuscaloosa on September 19 will be a good yardstick as
What our season will shape up to..

Yes don’t sleep on Virginia ...week one in the Benz

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds