Forum

Welcome Matt Luke to Athens

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80641 by yankeedawg1
Welcome Matt Luke to Athens was created by yankeedawg1
I have a idea that HC knew before it became buzz that Coach Sam was departing....

Sam and Kirby were close friends.... Sam wouldn’t just spring this on Kirby..... not Sam’s style...

The swiftness which Kirby acted leads me to believe that this hire had been in the works longer than the past two days

Matt is out recruiting and visiting our OL 2020 ..... commits.......a very good thing.... several have already acknowledged

that Matt was an excellent coach..... so far ....so good.... Matt will also be Assistant HC...

Maybe Matt and Coach Coley can ....work on how to tweak our offense.....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, growl, SimpleDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 4 months ago #80643 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic Welcome Matt Luke to Athens
Frankly, I think this is a Grand Slam of a hire. Matt Luke has a lot of fans in former players and former employers. He has a lot of the personality traits that made Pittman so popular with his players.

Having another offensive mind, but with an OL perspective, has to be a huge benefit. Meshing line play with style of play for the skill positions is vital. Maybe he can help with some of the administrative load born by the HC which can free up Kirby to recruit players, evaluate talent, and coach the coaches.....

I was surprised when Ole Miss fired Luke, but now I'm happy that it has benefited Georgia. There will be a lot of subtle wavering by recruits, and conversation about wavering, but in the end, you're either signing with A School, or you're infatuated with a voice/personality and weren't that committed in the first place. I hope they all stay. Luke may persuade new talent to consider UGA. There may be some transfers.....who knows.

The bottom line is this: It looks like Kirby recognized, and projected, just how the dominoes would fall. He had to have known in advance that Pittman was possibly/probably leaving, and then when Matt Luke was fired, he acted accordingly. Well Done!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds