Forum

LSU Changes Their "Process" . . . .

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #80260 by Buc
Agree with Kirby about keeping instate talent in state. Kirby and his assistants have done a very good job on the recruiting front since their arrival.

Arik Gilbert the very talented tightend chose to cast his lot with LSU, seemed to cause some confusion with the media. Think most media sources thought Gilbert would play for Alabama.

More and more I believe we are going to see players such as Gilbert not staying home. Could be several reasons for that . . . . one reason I believe is very important . . . . young men want to touch the ball on Saturdays. One ball, lots of talented players on offense, can make recruiting decisions not fall in line with the media folks predictions that are featured on the $$$ sites. Appears to me that the discussions going on behind closed doors at this time about players receiving payments for different reasons will change recruiting big time.

Young man on offense getting the ball a lot in college not only increases his chances of benefiting from jersey number sales, increases the media attention that adds to that figure.

Going on what “I” have witnessed with our program for some time now is the lack of pass receptions by our tightends. Didn’t start with Kirby and Company, has been that way for a long time. Along comes new coaches at Oklahoma, LSU and others and tightends seem to fit into their offensive pass plays . . . . as receivers, not blocking alone. More and more “I” see the college game moving toward a play for pay system. Once upon a time it was understood that a college education was the reward for playing football on Saturdays.

I believe the next move we will see occur is adding additional playoff spots. Probably move from four to eight.

So . . . . LSU seems to be on the path that Clemson was on for a stretch. Young men wanting to play on Saturday but not necessarily for the “home team”. Sooner or later most things come down to the “Benjamins”, both in the outside world and college football.

There is little doubt in my mind and others that I chat with that Georgia is a strong run first team. Once upon a time, “back in the day” . . . . “three yards and a cloud of dust” was the way the game was played. Not any more.

Over the years I have kept up with many of the posts on Dawgs.com and reviewing them find that getting the ball to the tightends more was a constant post. Most posts saying that we need to throw more to the tightends to move the backers or the 7 or 8 men close to the line of scrimmage back into at least coverage.

So . . . . can’t say that I can disagree with Gilbert’s choice to play for LSU. Also, I love the fact that we (Georgia) run the football. Nothing wrong with changing up a bit, eh? Nick Saban did and facts speak for themselves, not to mention the “hard headed coach at LSU”. Sometimes others can and are willing to improve on a “system”. Could label it as a “PROCESS”.

Go Dawgs, Coach’em Up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 6 months ago #80261 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic LSU Changes Their "Process" . . . .
Excellent read on a very timely subject..

Falls in line with the article covering the subject with HC..

Kirby is laser focused on recruiting.....wants to keep all in state players committing to UGA..

He recognizes he not going to be successful with everyone..

The however, to this statement is...he recruit to fill position needs

with the very best players available..... regardless of their home address...

And yes money talks loudly....where can I showcase my talent

To maximize my value playing on Sunday....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg

More
4 years 6 months ago #80262 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic LSU Changes Their "Process" . . . .
Gilbert's commitment to LSU surprised me. Gilbert's passing on UGA did not.

I honestly don't know why any quality standout 5 star tight end would want to come play for Georgia. Tight ends will perfect their blocking game, but other than that, they'll be yet another in a long string of great tight ends to come through Athens and have their careers pissed away.

I don't blame Gilbert one bit for choosing LSU. Go to a dynamic offense where you'll be utilized to the fullest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 6 months ago #80263 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic LSU Changes Their "Process" . . . .
Agree with the comments about the TE, and it pains my offensive mind as there are so many matchup problems you can create with that position.

It really pains me because we've had some that could really catch the ball and we turned them into tackles-light. We saw a couple of times that we could shred a D when we did feature them... believe that happened against our next opponent one time.... but then we put that weapon back in our pocket and never utilized it again.

Then again though.... I was an I-formation guy who also loved utilizing the fullback, so I'm sure some think my preferences dated.... but I wonder at times what a lead blocker.. a strong TE game, and the occasional hob-nail boot play would do for this offense.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

More
4 years 6 months ago #80266 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic LSU Changes Their "Process" . . . .
WartDawg, found the article below almost amusing. Chris Doering is a good guy in my opinion, however he sometimes speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

Mentions the Coley play calling. New flash Chris . . . . Offensive coordinator is doing just exactly what the head coach sitting at the game planning table is calling for.

Chris mentions the rainy conditions against Kentucky. Not a lot of rain when we met the Gamecocks "between the Hedges". When were the tightends being utilized in the game for anything other than as WartDawg mentions, lining up and playing as "light offensive tackles".

We go to JAX and play the same brand of offensive football that we have so far in 2019, going to be some disappointed folks exiting the JAX game.

Say again, Kirby Smart makes the final decision on game plans. Regardless of who comes up with the plan, whatever plan the staff produces must be approved by Kirby. Fourth year in, game calling decisions keep taking me back to Alabama film in the earlier years, prior to Kirby returning home.

grantham will be more aggressive in the game in JAX than he has been in his entire career in college football coaching. gators have the talent and now the feeling that they are the better team. I live with a lot of gators, that is a totally true statement. gators will play "man" all game. Jake will have only "x" amount of time to find open receivers. gator defensive backfield disguises coverages as good or better than most college teams. This is a game that we do not want to fall behind in. Never want to do that, however this game is critical, don't fall behind.

www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/ge...a-florida-10-24-2019
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg, yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #80267 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic LSU Changes Their "Process" . . . .

SouthernDawg wrote: Gilbert's commitment to LSU surprised me. Gilbert's passing on UGA did not.

I honestly don't know why any quality standout 5 star tight end would want to come play for Georgia. Tight ends will perfect their blocking game, but other than that, they'll be yet another in a long string of great tight ends to come through Athens and have their careers pissed away.

I don't blame Gilbert one bit for choosing LSU. Go to a dynamic offense where you'll be utilized to the fullest.

www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/a...tate-to-play-for-lsu

SouthernDawg, below I copied a paragraph from the article above. Believe it lays out what is and is not going on with "Georgia Tightends".

Consider it a gumbo of feelings: The electricity in the crowd. Listening to what Coach O had to say and the way he said it. Seeing that offense in full. Its ability to get the ball out on the edges in space. Finding the creases in coverage. Creative ways to get tight ends, flex ends and big receivers the ball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds