Forum

GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #80124 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS

yankeedawg1 wrote: Not long ago we would have folded like a cheap umbrella

That was almost verbatim the remark I made to a buddy of mine last night (who also happens to be a FL fan) after the game. I told him that these are the games that 5 years ago we simply couldn't have pulled out. And this is what it takes to win championships.

I agree that it was a hard fought game. I didn't see it being that close. ND showed up to play, had a really good game plan, created obviously by studying how we play. No question that other teams paid attention on how to slow us down. Men stepped up - Lawrence Cager being a big one. As I suspected, ND was just exhausted by the mid-3rd. Fortunately, that weakness was capitalized on.

In many ways, I'm glad that we didn't blow them out and I'll tell you why: at some point during the season, we would have been tested in a close game. I'd much rather it have been early in and against a #7 team that had the tools to challenge us than I would against an unranked Missouri team that took us down to the wire leaving us scratching our heads at where we really were in the grand scheme.

We didn't escape without a cost though - lots of injuries in this one. Home field was huge in this game. I can't remember ever seeing so many undisciplined penalties by a team as I did ND last night.

I don't view this as an ugly win either. It was a tough win, and a tough win is still a win. We'll remember this one for a long time.

Kirby Post Game Presser

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #80125 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS
Excellent September college football game.

Notre Dame did a great job for the most part. I was expecting a thumping.

Nice to get the W and ID areas to work on. Secondary looks a little suspect and the punting game was bad. Jake Fromm better not get hurt. Now on to the SEC portion of the schedule!

Go 'dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
4 years 7 months ago #80126 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS
Secondary looked a little thin due to injury. Punting team needs work on both ends...

One thing no one should underestimate was that games effect on recruiting.

That atmosphere... that crowd... that national spotlight... that glowing red stadium... that game.. a bit more enticing than a 12:00 Saturday blowout game against Southern Miss, eh?

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 7 months ago #80127 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Wartdawg wrote: Secondary looked a little thin due to injury. Punting team needs work on both ends...

One thing no one should underestimate was that games effect on recruiting.

That atmosphere... that crowd... that national spotlight... that glowing red stadium... that game.. a bit more enticing than a 12:00 Saturday blowout game against Southern Miss, eh?

My take on the game is that we learned something good about this team. It's been spoken to in this thread already, but it was clear from this game that our Dawgs can deal with getting punched in the mouth. No doubt, ND came to win. If they play the remainder of their games with this intensity, the Irish will have a great year. So what happened is that a prepared team came at us pretty hard, and we weathered the storm. Didn't quit. Didn't fold. Didn't stray from the plan. Honestly, it's been years since that's been true for us.

It's also apparent that Georgia has some dudes. We often relent when certain players get limited reps or dont see the field. But what struck me was that, with the exception of Jake Fromm, it doesnt matter who is lining up. To a man, this team has ridiculous talent. I never once had the impression that there was a dropoff in potential if, say, Cook or Herrien lined up at RB instead of Swift. That is an awesome feeling.

This was a good win, make no mistake. Not perfect, but then again, perfection is a unicorn. What I want is excellence, and I saw a great deal in this game. These matchups are what make college ball the best game in the world. I've got a good feeling about this year.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Wartdawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

More
4 years 7 months ago #80128 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS
Always god to hear your thoughts Limey...

Totally agree... game like This hardens the steel....as you noted we

Played a lot of people.... recruits watching noticed....

Next two weeks... coaches speak about overcoming adversity..

Players much clearer on understanding....what it means..

Go Dawgs...

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, growl

More
4 years 7 months ago #80129 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic GAME DAY: NOTRE DAME IRISH VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS
"Excellent September college football game." Dawgs_fan_dad

The air finally cooled a bit as in fall is coming. Athens was packed. The bell rang.

It don't get much better than this. I love college ball and the Dawgs!

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Time to create page: 0.030 seconds