Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts 08-02-19

5 years 2 months ago #79777 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughts 08-02-19 was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

NSD….. February 6, 2019 …. Nothing to see here… we did it all in December early signing period…..

Boom………

All the heads and everyone else missed seeing the last minute flip of 5 Star… George Pickens from Assburn to the Dawgs…. Insane we sign the two best players from Alabama this cycle…… again filling position needs….. speaking of which filled the TE openings very nicely….. experience of Wolf and the raw talent of Brett Seither….. underrated….. only two years of HS football…. Coach Hartley dialed up the TE room…..

Seems just a very short time ago at this time of year we had long faces as we watched recruit after recruit flip away from Athens…..

Yes we did have major flips the cycle …. But imho it was driven more by the talent depth at the position than anything else….

Many new challenges for college football …. Coaches have new dynamics to work with…..

It has almost become like baseball with the winter player trading activity ….. Player Portals for interested player looking at transferring schools…. Relaxed hardship rules about playing immediately without sitting out a year…..

Early signing in December…. While upperclassmen don’t have to declare for the NFL Draft until mid- January…. Added pressure on coaches trying to plan and complete rosters……

I posted earlier that this upcoming season for me …… is one of transition…… as Buc and others have pointed out…… leadership….

Where is it going to come from and from whom ???

Gibbs for Webb…… me thinks HC and CJP didn’t work that deal in advance…. Future of college football…

Growl ….. spring like weather here in the Classic City ….. enjoyed playing on the grill….

Pause and give thanks…..

Stay well….

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs”

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #79778 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 08-02-19
Speaking with confidence from all that I have witnessed since Smart and Company (some changes in Company) arrived, the football program has totally changed direction from what I have seen over many years. Might surprise some but . . . . high fives to Coach Nick Saban for his influence and "process method(s)" that Kirby Smart not only picked up on, Kirby utilizes "much" of the "Saban process" in his day to day efforts to improve football in the Classic City . . . . Athens.

"I" believe that Coach Kirby Smart was more than just another assistant in the development that occurred in Tuscaloosa. Some of Kirby's importance can be seen almost daily from lessons both learned and contributed on the recruiting trail and certainly the past three (3) years have proven that to be true.

yankeedawg1, I along with some have been clear on our views of the 2019 Season. Having read volumes of material since the 2018 Season ended, can find no reason to waver on my thoughts of a very good football team for the 2019 Season. Talent is deep, coaching is in a very good place on both sides of the ball. 2019 has a mixture of both new and experienced players wearing the Red and Black. Say this again . . . . Talent level in Athens takes a back seat to no one in the SEC or elsewhere.

Stop with this . . . . There is a lot of "hoopla" going on in Florida. Once again with a "coaching change" the gators are threatening to return to the "Swamp" and watch football. This is how "they" roll. Kirby Smart's coaching record against Dan Mullen speaks for itself. Georgia will continue the butt whippings in JAX in 2019. Media will play the game up, good for "clicks" but the gators under Dan Mullen do not raise my blood pressure. Having a lot of fun with those that I associate with that claim the gators are back. They have bought what the press is offering, looking forward to JAX.

This young man is high on my list of recruits 2020.

www.hudl.com/video/3/8592233/5a1241aa4dec86053c2186ca

:)
Edit . . . Some of what I see on the video above is already in Athens . . . . Nolan Smith is a "Leader".

#42 is coming . . . . get ready!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
5 years 2 months ago #79779 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 08-02-19
Good read Buc...

Another take away from this years recruiting class...

Dawgs don’t take a back seat to anyone when comes to recruiting...

More importantly we recruit to fill needs...laser focused..

Just not random body snatching as in the recent past....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 2 months ago #79780 by Buc
yankeedawg1, of interest to me . . . . ;)

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #79781 by Buc
Head coaching change in football, results positive. Like Coach Smart's approach.

Head coaching change in basketball, fully expect positive results. Like Coach Crean's approach.

Never hurts to have a "south paw" on the court.

Coach(s) will have this group and others moving their feet for sure . . . . See lots of "fast breaks" on the menu.

More
5 years 2 months ago #79782 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 08-02-19
Buc....has become apparent....Georgia ....no longer just wants to

Show up ...but wants to win...regardless of what the sport is...

Chatter about our baseball team is gaining steam...

Sleepy little Athens....awakens.....love it

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds