Forum

Hiring Next Defensive Coordinator . . . .

5 years 3 months ago #79758 by Buc
Probably not the only person that thinks along this line, however . . . .

I can visualize Kirby Smart not naming one person as Defensive Coordinator for the 2019 Season. Past 2019 more than likely.

Anyone watching Smart on the sidelines during a game knows just how involved he is in the defensive play. That will never change in my view. Took some time before Nick Saban loosened the reigns on Kirby Smart. As a coach on the defensive side of the ball Smart was with Saban for several years prior to being handed the “title” on his “business card”.

Not really concerned about not hiring a Defensive Coordinator at this point, actually feel good about Smart taking his time to either “hire” or “promote from within” his current staff. In my mind, as long as Kirby Smart is our Head Coach, we will always have a defensive mind on game days. At this point if we have “co-defensive coordinators”, suits me. Looking at film of games that Mel Tucker and Kirby Smart spent together, both Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator “huddled” together often, never far from each other on the sideline, unless . . . . Smart was doing his impression of the 40 yard dash. :)

Believe Georgia Football is in good hands and is positioning itself for the future “smartly”. ;)

Thoughts . . . . ??

Go Dawgs, Coach’em Up!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago #79759 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Hiring Next Defensive Coordinator . . . .
Buc...agree with HC’s resume there is not a panic to hire

A DC.....we will run the same stuff ...only better because we

Have better players on the field... experience and quality depth.

Sense recruits know that whoever is carrying the title will..

Be part of a we effort on defense....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
5 years 3 months ago #79760 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Hiring Next Defensive Coordinator . . . .
I think if Coach Lanning was going to get the nod, it would have happened already. I agree Buc, I think he's the shot caller while giving Lanning another season to improve his pedigree and allows him more latitude this year on defensive scheming. Whoever he names, I want it to be a coach that will put roots in Athens for 3-5 seasons before he gets picked away to go take the reigns elsewhere.

The AJC toilet paper ran a piece the other day saying Kirby's indecision on a DC hire is potentially risking recruits. I don't buy that for a second. If you're a defensive player, you come to play defense for Kirby. Regardless of who is at the DC slot.

Should be interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #79761 by Buc
Good read, believe you are spot on about Coach Lanning or another coach on staff taking over after going through the "process" . . . . :) Believe it to be evident that Kirby Smart will "always" be within earshot of the happenings during a game on defense. Not sure I remember any head coach at Georgia being as involved with defense as Smart is. Erk never received an offer to become head coach, if he had, would have been much like Kirby is and will be for a long time. Have expressed my feelings about that "coaching malpractice" several times, won't go there now.

Weather nasty up your way I presume

Couple of defensive players that I believe are going to change our defensive front "sooner" rather than "later".

www.hudl.com/video/3/6537030/5a12ece0c11b700d5cb6e6bc

www.hudl.com/video/3/6900439/5a01f8beb3c86d1b8c463acb
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 2 months ago #79762 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Hiring Next Defensive Coordinator . . . .
Yeah, weather up here has been character building. Negative temps, two big snows back-to-back, ice ice and more ice. Winter is here. However, nothing that the Weller bourbon I just picked up won't take the edge off of. ;)

Lots of OSU fans I work with are stoked about Fields' arrival in Columbus.

Agreed. Walker is going to be a beast. Lots of hype around that young man and for good reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds