Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts 04-01-19

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #79622 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 04-01-19
Guess my major concern at this point is leadership. With Ledbetter moving on, there is a void that really needs to be filled. Not short on talented players, biggest concern of mine on the returning group is the defensive line. That I believe to be obvious to many of us. Still have some concerns with two "offensive coordinators", that however falls into the basket of decisions Kirby Smart will make. My opinion talent has never been our main problem, leadership has been my primary concern. Leadership has been discussed at length on this board dating back several years. Nice to have a fast car, great pit crew, greatness also hinges on the third element . . . . LEADERSHIP. Can name several members on this board that have spoken to leadership often, don't see the need to do so.

Good read yankeedawg1.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #79624 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 04-01-19
I've read and heard a lot of chatter over the past few days, and I have a few random comments. These comments are not directed at anyone here who may have made similar comments, but they are addressed at Bulldawg nation as a whole.

I remember when the idea of a CFB championship first came up, and myself and many others wondered if it would ruin the bowl season. A few of us were against the idea, but we were rebuffed with tales of how it wouldn't have a negative affect...

Well in all actuality... it seems that it has. There is still serious controversy regarding who is in or out, and now we have talk of expanding the field again as a result. So now that we have rendered all other bo games meaningless, how long before the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP means nothing? I mean finishing 2nd in the SEC, and hell... even not making the SEC final is no big deal now.. It's all about the post season tourney.

I've heard mention of how hungry Texas was after losing to OK. Seriously... what about UGA feeling pissed after losing a game they had won for the 2nd year in a row? The fact Texas was pissed doesn't make this game not a surprise. UGA should have been even more pissed. Way more pissed.

I've heard comparisons to what happened to Auburn, but please Bulldawg Nation; don't ever compare UGA to Auburn to make yourselves feel better. We are better than Auburn. We are supposed to play to a higher standard than Auburn. We are better coached than Auburn. I can go on and on.

CKS... let me be honest. I trust you as a better option than what we had before, but your results in your 1st three seasons are very similar to the results of Mark Richt. Look it up. While I still have faith, you have blown 2 of the hugest games in UGA history. One that would have won us a NC, and one that would have put us back in the NCG. You are approaching Atlanta Falcons territory in terms of blowing what you had in your grasp. Sorry to say it, but you also have failed to learn from mistakes. Fake in the LSU game gets trumped by another failed fake in the SEC game. Let me say this as well... we failed in the way we handled Justin Fields. Many of us here said over and over again that Fields should have been used a bit more, and allowed to actually be a QB instead of a running back in the Wild-Dawg. So CKS.. I still have faith, but ypur grace period is completely over. It was pretty much over this past season, but now it really is. You have shown yourself to be a strong willed leader.. almost to the point of cockiness at times. You might want to think about tempering that with a bit of humbleness and self examination. You can't keep blowing big games and making the same mistakes and keep the fanbase.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my assessment, and it is just one man's opinion. If it's not shared by many others then that is fine, but it will be shared by many soon if the same problems keep happening.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

More
5 years 3 months ago #79625 by Buc
Shortly expect to see the B1G Network with its copied version of the SEC Network. Disney knew when the money was offered and taken by the SEC that every college football "interested conference" would follow suit. Went through several discussion(s) on this board that the SEC Network was the "first step" that M&M were taking. Seemed not to create a lot of conversation at the time, bet this . . . . M&M never enters into any type of negotiation(s) that they come out on the short end. M&M runs their operations the same way that successful football coaches run their respective teams . . . to win.

Wartdawg, I felt some time back that those controlling college football through the media would end up as you say dismantling college bowl games. If that is the case, probably see eight(8) slots to fill for playoffs. Marketing folks at M&M knew that once the SEC Network was off and running, rest of the media would "force a change in thinking". From where I sit . . . . mission accomplished. There are a lot of folks like McGarity that do handstands for greenbacks.

I am one that misses the railroad tracks and the folks that once sat there enjoying "football as it was played a long time ago". Getting long in the tooth changes many things. We all get there at some point. yankeedawg1 quoted me correctly . . . . 2019 is a year that repeated mistakes are not looked on favorably, not that a couple of head coaching decisions in 2018 were acceptable. The talent that Smart and Company have gathered in three years leaves no room for glaring coaching miscues. Say this again . . . . still having a problem with two(2) offensive coordinators, also leaves precious little room for coaches like Coach Dell McGee. Just a thought . . . . a scary thought . . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
5 years 3 months ago #79626 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 04-01-19
Totally agree Wart & Buc ....that the money ESPN has pumped

Into college football has changed the marketing landscape...

Buc...increasing the number of playoff teams make for a larger

Number of bowl games having meaning again... and more TV money.... all of which you correctly pointed out..

It will also make more fans and players happy ....we have a shot at

Winning a Natty..... each D5 team drops a non conference game....

In turn has a opportunity for a bigger bowl payday or a Natty

As always....

Follow the money.......sheepeoples..... going for a ride again...

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago #79627 by Buc
Georgia receivers Riley Ridley and Mecole Hardman, tight end Isaac Nauta and tailback Elijah Holyfield are skipping their senior seasons to enter the NFL draft, and tight end Luke Ford announced Friday he is transferring to Illinois.

Good luck to all of the players. 2019 going to be an interesting year of football in the Classic City.

More
5 years 3 months ago #79628 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts 04-01-19
We don't even win our conference and half of our juniors leave for the NFL.

This is becoming as bad as college basketball.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds