Forum

Interesting read . . . .

5 years 8 months ago #78738 by Buc
Interesting read . . . . was created by Buc
One of the best pro/con discussions that I have read in a very long time.

blutarsky.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/the-l...t-uga-if-were-lucky/
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 8 months ago #78740 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Interesting read . . . .
I've been away for a long time! (Work for me is outrageous right now. My territory goes from Hilton Head/Savannah to Las Vegas . . . a little large.)

Enough for excuses!

I think what has been said this week really fits in with what we all knew a long time ago, and even CMR directly stated while he was still here: CMR believed that winning wasn't the only important thing. He had access to some of the greatest athletes available but didn't want to put pressure on anyone to extract all of their potential and WIN. It was more important to him that everyone just try hard and enjoy themselves. Pruitt wasn't accustomed to that. He was accustomed to the idea that you can be as nice as you want and try as hard as you want, but if you don't win, then you are a FAILURE.

Miami has already started "Richting". He grew out a goatee in the hopes of giving the impression of being "edgier" and more "hip". In the end, it was a gimmick. He's a great person. He's a good head coach. But "winning isn't everything" is (literally) his mantra.

Pruitt, on the other hand, wants CHAMPIONSHIPS. It's what he's accustomed to. It's how he operates. I don't have any doubt whatsoever that he is a JERK and that he doesn't care what anyone thinks. His job - no - his LIFE - is to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!! Anything less is FAILURE, and anything less is UNACCEPTABLE. Now he's a VOL and I hate him. But he is what he is, and nobody is going to hurt his feelings, because he doesn't have any.

BTW - thank you, Pruitt, for the indoor practice facility.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #78743 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Interesting read . . . .

You’ve got Mark Richt, who is a very non-confrontational-type guy, and then you’ve got Pruitt, who is very my-way-or-the-highway. So part of it was Mark Richt not keeping him in his place. Because, you know what, (Pruitt) ain’t going to Alabama and doing that. He ain’t talking to Nick Saban like that. So I think part of it is at Alabama he knew where he stood; at Georgia, I don’t think so

The reason he wouldn't talk to Saban that way is because he didn't need to do so.

I was traveling back home to the Sunshine State recently and stopped off at Fox Bros BBQ in Atlanta to have some supper. Was talking with another Dawg fan there about the sea change that has happened in Athens. He made the comment this comment to me, and it sums up exactly where we were: "I think that there was just an ingrained and accepted institutional dysfunction at Georgia. I cringe when I hear the term "players coach" tossed around because it's a lot like a parent being a "friend" to their child instead of a parent. But that's what we had, and when people like Todd Grantham or Jeremy Pruitt came along that were intense, driven, and demanded the respect and adherence to their program rather than hugs and love, it was going to fly in the face of the institutional standard set in Athens from 2001 to 2015."

I smiled as I continued to munch my french fries.

What I find fascinating is that because Pruitt is a hard ass, now his pedigree and candidacy as a head coach is being called into question. I just saw an SI headline the other day asking if Pruitt's rocky tenure really merits his head coaching position. This snowflake culture being pushed today is enough to make me vomit. Somehow because Pruitt has a hard hitter, no BS, no excuses, gritty coach that might get intense, vulgar, and overbearing disqualifies him from a HC job? SMH. Erk Russell wouldn't fit in to today's culture at all. May he rest in peace. They're going to find out just how qualified Pruitt is for a job at the helm. Give him 2 seasons and Tennessee will be a behemoth. If I'm proven wrong it'll be the biggest shock in my predictions in ages.

Good to see you Thriller, and you too Buc. It's been a whirlwind summer for me of family health problems, ridiculous amounts of overtime, short nights, long days, and stress.

I'm looking forward to sharing the season with you guys again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
5 years 8 months ago #78744 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Interesting read . . . .
Your BBQ buddy said it. True. Culture problem.

IMO... All leadership originates at the top. And is usually disseminated by example.

CKS is getting the job done.

(Countdown clock is running on Front Page of Dawgs.com)

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds