Forum

#GATA

6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #77818 by RxCowboy
#GATA was created by RxCowboy
It's been a while since I've been on here, though there may be a few of you who remember me. But for those who don't, I've been a member here since around 2003 or so, and I used to work at UGA College of Pharmacy (am in Ohio now, though I do miss UGA). I am also an Oklahoma State alum. My three favorite teams are:

1. Oklahoma State Cowboys
2. Georgia Bulldogs
3. Whoever is playing the Sooners

In this case #2 and #3 are perfectly aligned. So, I'm going to be pulling hard for the Dawgs in the CFP semi-finals.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Sooners, a little education is in order. The Land Run of 1889 opened Oklahoma Territory, formerly Indian Territory, to white settlers. Boomers were people who made the Land Run. Sooners were people who entered Oklahoma Territory under the cover of darkness and staked out illegal claims. So, when you hear "sooners" think "cheaters" and you have it right. My favorite terms for them are "landthieves" and/or "dirt burglars." We used to call them "mullets" under Gundy grew one.

I need some help from you education-wise. I know that GATA comes from legendary DC and Georgia Southern coach Erk Russell (also familiar with Erk's "Railroad Track Fans" letter, which is one of the most awesome things ever - this is the game plan, we have no alternative plan). I know that GATA means Get After Their Asses, but I'm a little fuzzy on the exact origins of the term. So, help me educate Oklahomans on the origin of the term, because I'm posting #GATA all over the place.

Go Dawgs! Sic em! #GATA

AKA RxDawgboy

GATA! Woof!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RxCowboy
  • RxCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 4 months ago #77820 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic #GATA
Certainly remember you RXCowboy. (RXDawgboy). Goes back many years, glad to hear from you again. Thought the article below might answer your question. Many terms used now originated with Erk. Looking forward to Pasadena, and thanks for the history lesson. :)

www.espn.com/colleges/georgia/football/s...rgia-southern-statue
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, RxCowboy, yankeedawg1

More
6 years 4 months ago #77822 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic #GATA

Buc wrote: Certainly remember you RXCowboy. (RXDawgboy). Goes back many years, glad to hear from you again. Thought the article below might answer your question. Many terms used now originated with Erk. Looking forward to Pasadena, and thanks for the history lesson. :)

www.espn.com/colleges/georgia/football/s...rgia-southern-statue

Great article. Thanks much. GATA

Just one more time.

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 4 months ago #77823 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic #GATA
The standard accepted story is that UGA was losing to Tech and at halftime Erk had seen a sign that said
GTAA (Georgia Tech Athletic Association) and was inspired to come up with GATA to inspire his defense.

It worked

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, RxCowboy, yankeedawg1

More
6 years 4 months ago #77825 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic #GATA

Wartdawg wrote: The standard accepted story is that UGA was losing to Tech and at halftime Erk had seen a sign that said
GTAA (Georgia Tech Athletic Association) and was inspired to come up with GATA to inspire his defense.

It worked

Now that you mention it, I remember that.

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 4 months ago #77833 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic #GATA
RxCowboy, good to hear from you. Keep on posting.

I wonder where these guys are...
firedawg
flyindawg
duck
wlayton
NC_Dawg

Just a quick list. There are more. Anybody got more names?

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RxCowboy

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds