Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 3 weeks ago #76364 by yankeedawg1
From Athens - Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All.

Except for the crazy weather it’s been a drama free week in the Classic City…… Spring Arrived this Tuesday….. Pine Pollen covers everything..

Pounty reported that CKS seemed more relaxed in his first presser of spring ball… He even cracked a joke about not having to
ride buses to the practice field….. thank you again CJP…..

Much has been written and spoke about changes in our football program over the past months…..

I will add this from a personal view…year 14 in Athens spring ball has a different feel….

Last season was the giddy high of a new HC and what could we look forward to in the development of JE…..

This April it feels much more business like…. Yes we have positions to fill…many questions to be addressed and answered…..

Players have given our new DLC high marks….. has high energy and very much a hands on guy….. teaching to the level of the students learning ability……

Very happy to hear that Trent Thompson was at practice and doing rehab work on the side…. Favorable reports continue about how he looks and is adding weight…. Happy to be around his teammates….a very good thing for this young man’s future…..

Talking heads working overtime about how good we can be this year..

Depth breath…… step back….. let it play out… love to have us just play

One game at a time…..

Pause and give thanks….

Have a great weekend and a safe week….

As always “Go Dawgs” !!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #76365 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Spent the past four days in South Florida.

Isaiah McKenzie’s sister and my family had a chance to meet. She is a Security Guard at a very nice area. Noticing the UGA tag on the front of our automobile, she asked if we were “really” Georgia Football folks. Long story short, there was some seriously good conversation . . . . what a wonderful person she is, great love for her brother.

Small tidbit to add to South Florida . . . . Coach James Coley is still deeply involved with player recruitment in the South Florida area. Coley has built a base that will only aid UGA Football . . . . as long as he remains. I shudder to think about Coley going elsewhere. Personally believe that he “might” end up as offensive coordinator elsewhere. See where Kirby hired an assistant to “assist” our current offensive coordinator, makes me stop and take a deep breath.

Guess I remain one of those that believes there will be more changes in our coaching staff in the “short term”. Hope that Kirby will be as successful as Nick when it comes to hiring and rehiring. We still have a ways to go to reach “certain levels”. 2017 will be a very interesting year for the Red and Black.

Go Dawgs, Coach’em Up! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #76366 by Buc
Spent a lot of my day looking at the 2017 recruits and the coaches that recruited them.

Kirby has put together a very impressive staff.

Will offer this . . . . Best bring Dell McGee and James Coley's salaries up . . . . "quickly, bigly".

Cannot remember seeing a more impressive group of athletes and a more impressive group of recruiters, getting the job done.

Spent a lot of time on 24/7/hudl/youtube/rivals checking each young man out (film) and who was responsible for these athletes choosing/selecting Georgia.

If 2018 comes close to what 2017 did, not a reason in the world for UGA not being shown "respect" from the media and SEC opponents. Have said often that I have been around Georgia Football for a long time, never have I had more confidence in what I have seen since Smart and Company arrived in Athens. Cannot speak to the "Game Day Coaching", can speak or post to the fact that this group of coaches and staff have zeroed in on keeping these very talented athletes in the Peach State.

One thing that impresses me is the fact that Smart and Company are also reaching out and getting players outside of the Georgia State Line. Not just one or two, check the names on the 2017 Class, impressive as all "heck".

Cannot and will not accept anyone that believes we will forget that "both sides" of the ball have to be recruited and coached on an even keel. That "formula" I thought would reside at the "U" with Richt moving, and now the "U" has done a 180 degree shift . . . . Coach Jeremy Pruitt not only had a "hot hand" in the building of the "INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY", he taught Mark Richt a valuable coaching lesson. FACT. Guess "old dogs/dawgs can learn new tricks.

For those that do not keep up with Richt, believe this . . . . he has totally changed his coaching philosophy since leaving Athens. He is surrounded by an incredible amount of high school talent. Sure glad that Coach James Coley is a "serious" part of Georgia Football. Say again, do not know how long that will last, Coach Coley is already being "whispered" in "serious" college levels. McGarity does not understand the "value" of a coach like James Coley, he has hung his hat on Kirby Smart. McGarity did not know who James Coley was prior to Kirby Smart wanting this very talented coach and recruiter.

Will stop, still having problems with the past x number of years. Never doubt that the "Good Old Boys" are still in charge.

End with this . . . . Mark Richt fired, first comment after leaving was . . . . "I want to coach again". Nick Saban with all of his money never "quit coaching". Think about that, "Bleeding Hearts".

Go Dawgs, coach'em up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #76367 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Good post Buc.

I too am feeling a confidence level I have not experienced in many years. Everything in Kirby Smart's reach seems to be working well.

Go Dawgs! See you on G-Day.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #76368 by Buc
stevedawg, I am listening and watching closely to what is being said by our head coach.

Little doubt that Kirby understands scoring in the red zone. Like hearing the name Charlie Woerner being brought up in the receiver conversatons. 6' 5" with real good hands, carrying about 250 pounds, not like 40 times matter in the red zone and Charlie is not a slug. Hope the young man is healthy, could change the red zone conversation from a year ago being a minus to a solid plus. Charlie in high school played at 200/210/220 pounds, now 250, tough cover in the red zone.

Kirby put it bluntly when he said . . . . Charlie Woerner, look in the mirror.

Offensive line comes together, this group has a solid chance of making some noise.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds