Forum

Thoughts About the "Overall" Challenges

7 years 4 months ago #75819 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Thoughts About the "Overall" Challenges
Ole Miss is not really that good. I was at that game and we were just not ready.

Said from before the beginning of the season that the Vols were not that good and were overated.

Smart gets a big F from me because of the way we lost to Tech and we should NEVER lose to Vandy EVER.

Nashville, Memphis, or Birmingham is not a successful season.

He better go the JUCO route and get some offensive linemen because he has very little experience coming back next year with playing time in the SEC. Takes at least 5 games before they will start to gel and then it will be too late once again.

Be prepared for more of the same next year only thing in our favor is a cupcake schedule.

thecountrynation.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #75820 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Thoughts About the "Overall" Challenges
Found the article below interesting.

Comments are worth reading.

www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/201...tt_made_alabama.html

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #75821 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Thoughts About the "Overall" Challenges
I backed off from posting somewhat because I couldn't take the first year red-button pushing going on. Not that I disrespect others opinions, I just didn't feel like arguing because I had already stated my position on this first season. I guess this will be my swan song for the 2016 season, so I might as well let loose a bit and share my thoughts. That being said, I completely respect others opinions on here if they differ from my own.

I am not about excuse making. Georgia had some big ass problems this season, and play calling was right up at the top of the list. I refrained from rendering a blunt opinion on Chaney throughout the season because I wanted to see when/if/how he changed up his schemes. I am not impressed. In fact, I spent more time scratching my head wondering what in the hell he was doing week-after-week. If CKS keeps him around next season, then it's on his head and my patience timeline for this coaching regime just got shortened. I do think Chaney is a good OC, but I don't think he's working well in this system. At all. I think blame also lies with the player effort.

I cannot give this team an F grade, because if I gave them an F it would be this season was an abysmal failure at every level, absolutely no positives whatsoever, and a staff producing an overall losing record with clear and obvious signs that they were running this program into the ground. I don't think that for one minute. I think there were a lot of storm systems that merged to produce this season. Yes, I think Kirby's inexperience showed and I think the adjustment from coordinator to El Jefe was one that was harder on him than maybe others. Yes, I think we ran a program this year with a group of players who were used to many years of an entirely different system with an entirely different expectation. Make no mistake - player effort was a serious part of our problems this year. Coaching adjustments were not made the way they should have been. And yes friends, there was the factor of this being the Richt train finally coming off the rails. Some want to compare what Coach Mac has done at UF vs. what Kirby did in his first year. I think this is a completely unfair comparison, but one that is always sure to come. It's unfair considering what coach Mac inherited at UF. Muschump is an idiot and deserved to be fired at UF, but he damned sure knows how to build and run a defense in the SEC. Getting his players to play for him, managing his anger and his coaching staff were entirely different problems. I'm sure if Kirby inherited his o-line and defense, we'd have seen a much different UGA in 2016. Not excuses - facts.

I found it laughable that I saw folks on comment sections of articles bashing Kirby for saying "the problem starts with me" or "we as coaches didn't..." Yet, if he lists the exact problems (i.e.- "kids" not listening in practice, missing assignments, not giving full effort in practice, not focusing in film reviews), then he gets lambasted for blaming others and being too hard on the "kids." I'll take that level of blunt honesty any day - even if I don't want to hear it - over BS coach speak like "finishing the drill" and "working our tails off" that serves absolutely no purpose other than to pass a press conference by quickly.

There were some very dark spots to this season. Losing to Vandy and GT is unacceptable. Almost losing to Nicholls State is unthinkable.

Even with those moments, honestly, I am not terribly worried at this point. I said at the very beginning that transition years are always tumultuous and can be ugly. I have pointed out that Saban had a YUGE embarrassment in his first season, going 7-6 and losing (at home) to Louisiana-Lafayette. This was never our year in my mind, so I am not hugely disappointed or overly concerned about the future. I do think there are real and necessary changes that need to be made, and I think it's quite obvious the easy one is at OC. I do think recruiting is going to be as big as ever and the class these coaches have assembled looks to be outrageously loaded. I think Kirby needs to make his own adjustments as well. Yeah yeah yeah, there's always next year. But I knew that going into the season.

All in all, a 7-5 record at the end of a coach's first season without "his" players, no offensive line whatsoever, a true freshman QB thrown into the gauntlet and surviving, a bowl appearance, and an imposing crop of incoming players on national signing day are all very promising.

I give this season a C-. My patience does have an expiration date, so don't think I won't be much harsher next season. I will.

Eason -

I'll say this - get Eason a line, an OC that can call the right plays and receivers that can consistently catch the ball and he's going to settle down quickly to become an unbelievably dangerous QB. He did very well this year all things considered for a true freshman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, Buc, growl

More
7 years 4 months ago #75822 by Buc
Season over, I give some thought to a Freshman Quarterback and the players that surrounded him on the snap.

High School Kid. Many folks pushing the “button” to start Eason. Went back through much of what has been posted on Dawgs.com and came away with this . . . .

sflanagan21 said right away that Eason had to grow. A young man with a “golden arm” that had not taken snaps with his hands under the centers butt. Sf21 was right.

Will Jacob Eason be a better quarterback in 2017 . . . . can’t answer that without saying this . . . . Georgia Football is not “all about” Jacob Eason. He is a tough “kid”, but some toughness needs to show its head on those that protect him, those that “catch the ball” and those that coach him.

Jake Fromm is coming, he will not be the quarterback of the Red and Black until Jacob Eason is ready to give the job up . . . . ain’t gonna happen.

Big offensive bodies arriving in Athens, believe that to be a very good thing, also know that the transition from high school to the SEC is a huge move and learning curve, along with some players that are past playing high school football and have “developed”.

Took the time in the past few days to look at head coaches around the College Football World, can read on “most sites” the same things that are being said on Dawgs.com. Lots of folks are more than ready to “dump” every coach, yes . . . . every coach.

Do I think that we will be better in the next two years . . . . better be or there will be another “uprising” in Athens.

Head Coach Kirby Smart will not get the same grace period that Mark Richt did. That is a simple fact.

Go Dawgs
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 4 months ago #75823 by Buc
Was typing when you were posting SouthernDawg. Much to agree on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #75824 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Thoughts About the "Overall" Challenges
When you take a test you can get some right answers and still get an F. That is what Smart did, had about 40% of the test right the rest he failed, miserably IMHO. In way over his head and his learning curve is way too much to over come in 2 or even 3 seasons. Saw this with Goff and he was an offensive coach and failed miserably.

I was one of the hardest on Bobo on this board but came to realize alot of it was Richt, and was way to harsh on Bobo, now in hindsight I kinda wish he was back with his crayons lol.

I have always respected others opinions but no way can Smart get a passing grade.

thecountrynation.com

More
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds