Forum

Best Quarterback in Georgia History

7 years 7 months ago #74115 by LimeyDawg
Best Quarterback in Georgia History was created by LimeyDawg
I'm throwing this out there because I truly believe that we are entering a new era in Athens, and the ramifications are huge not only for our future as a relevant program, but also as a contrast to our historical performance.

I don't think, and this is a personal position, that Georgia has had a better quarterback than Aaron Murray. David Greene and Matt Stafford are close, but as a complete quarterback within our system, Aaron Murray wins it for me.

In the modern era, modern being relative, we've gone from D.J. Shockley through Aaron Murray, and we've honestly been blessed with the quarterback talent that has spent time in Athens. Of course, what we've accomplished with that talent is a whole other thread, but let's stay focused.

Arguably, (not even arguably), the most successful quarterback we've had has to be Matt Stafford--if success is measured in dollars and blondes. Matt was a damned good quarterback, but at the college level, I think the edge goes to Aaron Murray. Somebody once posted here, prior to AM ever taking a snap,that AM was a "gamer." At the time, I didn't quite understand what that meant, but in hindsight it was prophetic to the point that I wish the OP had also posted the winning lottery numbers in the same post.

AM had a great arm, although not Stafford-esque in that regard. His accuracy and gamesmanship, however, were on another level. The kid could flat out play. AM would have won that SECC game if coaching hadn't got in the way. My opinion.

I think we're entering the "quarterbacks" era at Georgia, based on the talent in our coaching staff and that of the kids wanting to come play in Athens. JE is the beginning. Fromm is going to be special. Those two, by themselves, are not enough to usher a new beginning in Athens, which is why I mentioned the coaching staff. Back to the beginning of my post and my point about what was done with the prodigious talent in Athens...I believe we have the pieces in place now to be a complete program: Talent by the bushel and coaching to match.I think we're about to transcend that "one-dimensional" greatness that has plagued us for decades. Usually, we've been a great RB school, but the supporting cast has fallen short. CKS seems to understand that we have to be great everywhere. I get the sense that we're about to see a period where people are talking about Georgia's quarterbacks in the same reverence as our RBs, and that can't be a bad thing.If we could get Stafford's arm, Murray's accuracy and gamesmanship, and Greene's heart...

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LimeyDawg
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 7 months ago #74116 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Best Quarterback in Georgia History
My first thought was Fran tarkenton. That guy played a long time in the nfl and held a lot of records when he retired. Made a lot of pro bowls too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 7 months ago #74119 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Best Quarterback in Georgia History
I agree with Scooby that Francis is a good pick, but I honestly have to say that Aaron Murray takes the gold. That guy was the entire package, and much like other QB's of the CMR era, he succeeded in spite of a system that didn't utilize him the way it should have. He broke every SEC record and had he not been held back by ridiculous time clock management by his coaches in the 2012 SEC Championship game, he would have put that ball in the end zone and beaten Alabama to go on to face Notre Dame in Miami. If that had happened, that would have been the fait accompli of his career at UGA that we would have been talking about for generations to come. Regardless of that sad blemish that had nothing to do with Aaron Murray, he was and always will be a DGD in my book. The guy is a class act on and off the field. He was the complete package and therefore gets my #1 vote.

Stafford definitely is a close 2nd. If Stafford had been playing at Alabama or LSU under coaches that knew how to squeeze every ounce of juice out of their talent, Stafford would have been an utterly terrifying QB in college. That kid had everything, but in terms of UGA tenure - the nod goes to Aaron.

Great topic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, LimeyDawg, scooby

More
7 years 7 months ago #74120 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Best Quarterback in Georgia History
AM, MS for sure hands down

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

More
7 years 7 months ago #74156 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Best Quarterback in Georgia History
Having been around for the Tarkenton era he is still my favorite.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

7 years 7 months ago #74157 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Best Quarterback in Georgia History
I remember some really good ones. James Ray. Andy Johnson. Jeff Pyburn. Matt Robinson (yes, I said that), Ray Goff (for what was asked of him), Buck Belue (handed off to Herschel about as well as possible), John Lastinger, Mike Bobo. Hines Ward (most people forget he played QB and came up JUST SHY of 1,000 yards passing in a season - had he, he would have been the only player in NCAA history to pass, run and receive for 1,000 yards!!). And then "recent" history of David Greene, D.J. Shockley, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray.

Honestly, the best were Tarkenton, Stafford and Murray (in no particular order - hard to compare).

But all I know is that Jacob Eason needs to BECOME the best ever!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds