Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

7 years 8 months ago #73986 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Day All,

The News from the Classic City…. Don’t need a calendar to know that fall camp is coming up very quickly…. I have spoken several times over the past seven months about the local conversation about our football program.

Well it has notched up even more as we get closer to fall camp and our first game…. Love it….

CKS did a great job imho this week when facing the heads at ESPN….
He stayed on message and didn’t get sucked in the baited questions…
CNS on the other hand got a bit feisty….. however he was getting a completely different set of questions than CKS……

I for one appreciate our HC’s truthfulness when answering media question…no coach speak… no dancing… just what he believes the facts to be…. Example…. His concerns about our DL and its depth and size….. I am sure CTR and he have burned some late night oil working on how to make improvements….. we have new talent on campus….

Question is how long will it take for them to grow up and be able to play SEC football…..

You can make the case that how quick our young players grow and gain confidence at several positions will be a key factor for our team’s success…… As Buc and others have correctly pointed out talent has
been in Athens for many prior years.

Not to beat that deceased horse any more…. But history shows we have not only misused that talent but in some cases completely ignored it.

I think that problem has been corrected with the hiring of our new coaches…

Much has been said here and elsewhere by the bleeding hearts…
The one point I can agree with them on….. What we feel toward CKS and his staff must be proven on the playing field…

However CKS and his assistants are well aware that we the fans are looking for…… results and improvement with each game played ….

One other group understands that also….. our players…. From what I have seen and heard…they are all in…

Same can be said for those recruits who have committed to play in Athens…..we need to hold them until NSD……

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “ Go Dawgs”

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #73987 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Having been around Georgia Football for quite some time, after reading the article below, takes me back to earlier years and earlier coaches.

Reading the article, reflected back to the 1960’s reading what Jesse Outlar and Furman Bisher had to say about the “upcoming game” . . . . AJC, Constitution and Journal editions had us looking forward to the “paper delivery”.

VD moaning and groaning about how UGA could possibly get through four quarters against any team.

2016 version of UGA Football . . . . I am buying in. This UGA team is loaded with football talent. For those that want to “always” look at the next recruiting year and hand their hats . . . . might be time to look closely at what has happened in Athens.

Finally we have a coaching staff. We have a head coach that understands how to assemble “winning coaches”. Before Kirby Smart it was always the “winning players” not the “winning coaching staff”. We were always “looking for a replacement”. Often the replacement was judged for the “outcome” of the season. Comes down to this for me . . . . The University of Georgia has a “coaching team”.

Remember this my “Brothers” . . . . even the old farts are “aware” of the “past and present”.

Go Dawgs . . . . For those of you (players) that I “know” read this site, we know, as do you . . . . Looking forward to Tennessee. Talk is damn cheap. Yes, I said that “again”.

www.dawgnation.com/author/asmith
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
7 years 8 months ago #73988 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Excellent read Buc..... Yes we have a coaching team..

But as you know..... They are a group that also understands The meaning of being teachers....

That imho will prove to be the difference....

Go Dawgs !!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #73989 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Day by day we see new and positive changes happening in Athens.

YD1 I agree. It is almost time to play ball. I am feeling a little anxious about it. Not as in the past where we wondered if anything good was gong to come together. I am just anxious about the future and how the CKS era will start off.

The coaching 'team'. Kirby Smart AND Company. Right on Buc. That is the team's brain. It has to hit on all cylinders all the time. Leadership starts at the top and KS has my confidence.

It's a good anxious. Dawgs.com countdown clock coming soon.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

7 years 8 months ago #73990 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Can remember when freshmen were not allowed to play Varsity Football.

Some may disagree, but that was a good thing in player development in my mind.

Example . . . . Incoming players that wanted playing time on Saturdays before the FANS had to prove that they wanted to move up to the Varsity. That of course does not apply today. Reason for that in my opinion . . . . Coaches in high school that are doing what yankeedawg1 has often mentioned and has done so in this thread . . . . TEACH.

Many of us played, but the older group of us did not have the coaching or facilities to start right away. Yes, I know there are exceptions to the rule.

One thought that sticks with me on Smart AND Company . . . . Boss said immediately after his arrival that this is not HIGH SCHOOL and BMOC does not fit into his game plan.

I believe that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 8 months ago #73991 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
We old farts understand the word apprentice....we lived it

And learn by it..... Hey Growl. Apprentice Seaman....

Which means you know which way to pee of the deck..

Without wearing it...... Crank that grill bro. Need you in

Shape to tailgate..... my brothers enjoy this

Weekend.....

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds