Forum

KEVIN MCLEE

17 years 2 months ago #4884 by dapolla
KEVIN MCLEE was created by dapolla
With the death of 1976 SEC Champion team leader and one-time UGA rushing champion Kevin McLee (letterman 1975-77), I think it's only fair to let this week's \"Bulldog Memories\" exercise consist of older Dawg fans' memories of this Goff-era Dawg.

So I'm looking at you older Dawgs to provide us with some choice tidbits about Kevin McLee, who led us to the SEC Championship and the Nat'l championship game against Pitt in 1976, and who busted Charlie Trippi's records in 1977.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 2 months ago #4885 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic #39,....
Philly-Red and also known as one-half of the Mac-Attack because Kevin and Willie McClendon anchored a rushing campaign that crushed our rivals and nearly resulted in a 1976 National Championship. Of particular interest was Kevin's near 200 yard performance against UF. This game became legend for UF Coach Dicky's \"4th and Dumb\" call, thus changing momentum for the Dawgs rather lopedsided victory. The following week McLee rushed for over 200 yards against Auburn, in yet another timeless victory. If I'm not mistaken, the above noted performance remained the best recorded back-to-back rushing stats in UGA history until this player by the name of Herschell arrived.

Unfortunately, the 76 SEC Champs faced an equally talented Pitt team in the Sugar Bowl. As I recall, the Pitt defense rose to the occassion and rendered the Mac-Attack ineffective. Likewise, Pitt had some talent in the backfield with a fellow by the name of Tony Dorsett. Dorsett and QB Matt Cavanaugh dominated on offense and did to the dawgs what we'd done all season to our rivals....a good ole fashioned butt whoopin'!!!!

I was a teen pup during this era. I remember the angst of being sooooo close and having to wait four more years before we returned to victories circle!!! Nonetheless, Kevin was a fine man that represented the DawgNation well. He now joins those of the Red and Black that have passed before him...Gods speed Kevin, you will be missed!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
17 years 2 months ago #4904 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:#39,....
4th and dumb? Please explain.

GATA! Woof!

More
17 years 1 month ago #4914 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:#39,....
We were getting our butts kicked at halftime against UF that year. Believe the score at the half was something like 28-13. Then in the 2nd half UF went for a 4th and one inside their 30 (I believe) and we stopped them, the momentum changed and Ray Goff led us to a 42-28 victory. That's a close recall based on my bad memory. I was there watching the great comback and it was fantastic. Goff was great that day running the option.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds