Forum

seen this?

16 years 9 months ago #4826 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:seen this?
Sanders didn't only have one great season. His sophomore year he led the nation in punt and kick returns, and was fourth in the Big 8 in rushing, even running behind Thomas.

Tim Brown won the Heisman in 1987 as a kick returner and Barry Sanders was better than him in every statistical category. He even had more kick returns for TDs than Brown. All three years Sanders was at Oklahoma State he returned the opening kick-off of the season for a TD, two of the three were for more than 100 yards.

The argument that Walker \"carried the team to a championship\" is a good one. But Sanders had more to carry. They won 10 games in 1988 with a defense that wasn't even in the top 50. With a D that had been in the top 50 they would've won an MNC. But Sanders couldn't play defense, too. Walker was great, awesome. I wish I had been a Georgia fan back in the day so that I would've seen him play. He played for a legendary and still beloved coach. Pat Jones, Sanders' coach, is the all-time losingest coach in OSU history. That was the load on Sanders' shoulders.

GATA! Woof!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #4831 by okstatezebe
Replied by okstatezebe on topic Re:seen this?

And the greatest part about it is at the end when he flipped the ball the ref and just ran back to the bench. Always made Sanders stick out among the showboaters. He always acted like he had been there before. I guess when you score 39 touchdowns in a season it kind of gets boring. :lol:

• okstatezebe
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #4832 by GeorgiaMarine
Replied by GeorgiaMarine on topic Re:seen this?
That was one of the things i admired about Sanders the most. In the days of showboating he always just calmly handed the ball to the refs and trotted back to the huddle or to the sidelines. Barry Sanders is a class act. I beleive he was the greatest running back ever to play the pro game. And in college he was one of the best, but Herschel has to be the greatest College back in history.

• GeorgiaMarine
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #4835 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re:seen this?
GeorgiaMarine wrote:

That was one of the things i admired about Sanders the most. In the days of showboating he always just calmly handed the ball to the refs and trotted back to the huddle or to the sidelines. Barry Sanders is a class act. I beleive he was the greatest running back ever to play the pro game. And in college he was one of the best, but Herschel has to be the greatest College back in history.

Straight forward and uncluttered in your truth..........

I give you an A+ for this prose.

More
16 years 9 months ago #4925 by UGA#5
Replied by UGA#5 on topic Re:seen this?
kentdaddy wrote:

We have discussed this, but since you brought it up.........

Sanders only had the one great year. If he had not been trapped behind that plow horse Thomas he may well have been number 1. No player before Herschel or since has combined the size and speed the way he did. Of course Sanders was like a video game player. He is simply the quickest most elusive player I have ever seen and I believe he is the best ever in the NFL.

I think you have Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders confused.

• UGA#5
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds