Forum

History of the Georgia G

16 years 10 months ago #4737 by Getdown11
History of the Georgia G was created by Getdown11
Ok so I was on the SI website and they had the Dawgs ranked as the 10th best looking uniforms in the country.

Anyway everyone and their brother chimed in about how awesome their school is and how they should have been on the list. While reading these rants I came across some guy that was basically crapping on us being on the list. His excuse was that we copied the G from the Packers and to top it off we don't even do a good job at it.

My question is does anyone know the history of the G. I had a friend tell me that we licensed the G from the Packers back in the day. I think the only ones that have a license and legal right to use it are us obviously, the Packers, and Grambling. Does anyone know any more about this.

That guys post just kind of got under my skin.:S

Go Dawgs!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Getdown11
  • Getdown11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 10 months ago #4738 by swamphox
Replied by swamphox on topic Re:History of the Georgia G
anyone could make that G from a standard font called \"Avant garde\"

open advent garde, sleect the bold setting, edit the kerning to 150% (this streches it out leghtwise)

Youve got a Georiga G

here's another peice of licensing info that I find funny....its getting harder and harder to find UGA iron patches...this sucks because anyone I know who has a kid gets a red UGa onesy with a patch or two sown onto it

• swamphox
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #4744 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:History of the Georgia G
I personally think the Dawg's helmet is THE best looking helmet in college football. Of course I love that color red, with the white stripe down the middle. I HATED it when Donnan added black stripes on both sides of the TRADITIONAL white stripe. Geez, stay with tradition, of course is what CMR did, he put it back like it should be.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 10 months ago #4753 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:History of the Georgia G
CVD changed the logo from the original G (which you see on \"Scowling Dawg's\" hat) to the G we have now. That G turned out to be VERY similar to the Packers' G, and once Coach Dooley found that out, yes, he got special permission from the Packers organization to use our design of it.

Grambling's an interesting case...their G is not licensed to the school at all, so ANYONE -- up until a couple of years ago -- could make Grambling G paraphernalia and not pay the school a dime. Grambling State University is currently in the process of slightly redesigning and then copywriting their G. With all the tradition at that school -- and there's a TON -- I think it's a shame that they've gotten screwed on licensing for so long.

But anyway, Vince brought the Georgia G when he came to Athens in 1962. Personally I think that as an Auburn boy he couldn't stand looking at the other G for one second longer!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 10 months ago #4754 by apollocrush
Replied by apollocrush on topic Re:History of the Georgia G
Courtesy of Packers.com:
\"The Packers 'G' logo was invented by Dad Braisher specifically for the Packers in 1961. Georgia began using a similar looking logo in 1964. According to Georgia's official website, head coach Vince Dooley \"had been impressed with the look of the helmet worn by the Green Bay Packers, which featured the oval 'G' but in a different color scheme. Dooley settled on the black oval 'G' surrounded by a white oval background resting on each side of the bright red helmet. A white stripe was placed over the top.\" In 1996, Georgia then added a smaller black stripe inside the white stripe.\"

More
16 years 10 months ago #4755 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:History of the Georgia G
Yeah, Donnan added that black stripe and it was ugly to me. Thankfully, CMR went back to the traditional single white stripe.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds