Forum

Paul Oliver academically ineligible

17 years 4 days ago #4353 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic The Oliver Rumor,...
May have some teeth afterall! Not sure what to make of the article, other than to acknowledge that the rumor, first mentioned by Rx appears to have merit. Guess we will all need to stand-by for further updates. I just can't imagine flunking out during the junior/senior years. By then the course work is fairly straight forward...almost easy! Something about this entire situation just doesn't add up.

wlayton: You heard anything????

My apologizes to Rx! If true, you get the \"scoop\" award!!!

LINKAGE: onlineathens.com/stories/051707/football_20070517045.shtml

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 days ago #4364 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:The Oliver Rumor,...
From Georgiadogs.com:

ATHENS, Ga. --- University of Georgia senior cornerback Paul Oliver has failed to meet NCAA academic eligibility requirements for competition this fall and plans to petition the NFL for entry into the supplemental draft this summer.

Oliver’s situation does not preclude him from remaining enrolled in school. He was a regular starter last season and has started 15 games in his career.

“We’ll miss him for sure,” UGA head coach Mark Richt. “Of course, he could have made a decision to leave for the draft immediately after his junior season. He was aware there could be risks but he decided to continue in school and get closer to his degree. His best opportunity now to continue his playing career is through the supplemental draft coming up in July.”

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • RxCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 3 days ago #4365 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:The Oliver Rumor,...
NC_Dawg wrote:

My apologizes to Rx! If true, you get the \"scoop\" award!!!

This is one scoop award I don't want. What is the depth at CB like, and who is going to cover Bowman?

I'll warn you guys, Bowman is a load, as is the Oklahoma State tight end Pettigrew. The other receiver slot is unknown right now, but there is plenty of depth and athleticism at receiver.

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • RxCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 3 days ago #4366 by dawgs511
Replied by dawgs511 on topic Re:The Oliver Rumor,...
As much as it ticks me off that he let this happen, I think we will be ok. We got Remarcus Brown, Prince Miller, Asher Allen, Tomas Flowers, and 1 more...cant think of the name. We should be ok.

• dawgs511
  • Visitor
17 years 3 days ago #4370 by Skum
Replied by Skum on topic Re:The Oliver Rumor,...
Big blow, he's one of our best players..

• Skum
  • Visitor
17 years 3 days ago #4372 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic I agree with 511!!!!!!!!
At that particular point in someones scholastic career the course work is largely core related toward your degree. Class work is more specific and to some degree individualized. Compared to the first/second year at UGA, I seem to recall damn near sleep walking through my senior year!

Yep, this one, unfortunately, falls squarely on PO's shoulders! What REALLY surprizes me is that this couldn't have been a mystery. Its not like one course determines the pass/fall ratio. Obviously, this is something that has been a growing issue for sometime and if so, why wasn't a boatload of tutorial talent made available to a struggling student athlete? I just find this entire scenario a little misrepresented!!

Nonetheless, I wish this young man the best in his endeavors for the supplemental draft. If memory serves, PO was ranked rather high as a prospect to enter the draft early. Sure would like to see him in Charlotte!!!

As far as backups, we should be fine. The depth chart behind PO reads: Asher Allen (5-10, 192, So.), Thomas Flowers (5-10, 186, Sr.), Donavon Baldwin (6-2, 190, RSo.). Allen and Flowers will need to step up from a leadership perspective, both have credible experience and athletic ability. Likewise, there may be some position shifting as a result of this!

Rx made a great point! OK State will view this as a weakness to exploit. So we better be prepared! Personally, IMVHO, I believe we will see the \"O\" carry to team moreso than the \"D\", at least until our youth and inexperienced are given enough time to find there place!

Should be an interesting season!!!!!!!!!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds