Forum

Never Too Early (SEC edition)

17 years 3 weeks ago #4008 by dapolla
Never Too Early (SEC edition) was created by dapolla
As promised, my SEC predictions and BCS Bowl predictions:

Southeastern Conference

Tough to call, as it is every year. The East has gotten a little easier to call, though, as Erik Ainge tore his meniscus in spring practice and may miss up to the first four weeks of the regular season. Talented as Jonathan Crompton is, I don’t think he’s got the grapes to take Florida or Georgia in that period of time, and those two losses will take Tennessee out of the divisional race. Which brings it down to Florida and Georgia. Oh yeah, and South Carolina. And if the Big Four in the East beat each other up too much (you must consider SCarolina a big player now, you simply must), Kentucky is waiting in the wings. Think I’m joking? Take a look at the final score of the Music City Bowl last year. Ask Tommy Bowden if Kentucky rolls over and plays dead. For that matter, ask Mark Richt.

The West is kind of a mess this year. LSU won every game they were supposed to win – except the two they had to win. Auburn was a powerhouse, but got exposed as beatable by Georgia and Arkansas. Alabama is always a dark horse, but I don’t think even the Evil Genius is going to be able to do much with the Tide this year. And what in the hell is going on in Fayetteville? I wouldn’t be surprised if Arkansas loses ten games this year after winning ten last year. I also wouldn’t be surprised if LSU goes 11-1, losing only to Florida in Baton Rouge. So I’m picking LSU to win the Western Division and make the trip back to Atlanta for the fourth time in six years.

The East? It’s good. Tennessee, as I see it, is out of the picture. They’ll have to sweep their major opponents – Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama – in order to even have a shot. Then they have Arkansas to worry about. Not to mention Kentucky, who nearly took them out last year. SCarolina is going to have some high moments. Spurrier’s going to come into Athens wanting blood, and he gets the Gators in Columbia again, and Auburn’s off the schedule this year. So here’s the thing: I don’t see Tim Tebow or Matthew Stafford losing one game going into the Cocktail Party. I think the East – and the SEC – is going to come down to that game in Jacksonville. No joke, I think the team that wins that game has an undefeated season and plays for the National Championship.

So here’s the exciting scenario I see, and which I will posit to you as my prediction: The SEC Championship will feature two undefeated teams and be the most important conference championship game ever played. LSU will best Florida in Death Valley, taking a 12-0 record into Atlanta. Georgia will have a brilliant season, make Tebow pancakes and avenge every loss they suffered last season, also going to the Dome 12-0. The game will go down to its last ticks tied 7-7, and Brandon Coutu will boot a 55-yard field goal as time expires to seal the victory for the Bulldogs.

Okay, so maybe that last sentence is a bit dramatic, but I do think that both LSU and Georgia will be looking at Florida tape all year long. I think that by the time each game is played, Les Miles and Mark Richt will have Tebow and Urban Meyer figured out. Two losses will put Florida in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma. The Gamecocks will have a breakout season and play in a New Year’s Day bowl. Kentucky should win eight or nine games. Alabama will go 5-7 and Nick Saban will leave to coach the Las Vegas Gladiators after the Tide drops two in a row to Sly Croom.

BCS Bowl Matchups

Orange Bowl: West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech
Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Texas A&M
Rose Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Rutgers
Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs. Texas Christian
National Championship Game: Georgia vs. USC

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #4009 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Never Too Early (SEC edition)
dapolla, I don't know what you do for a living but whatever it is, you're missing the boat. You should be a sports writer. Two GREAT posts. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of them and especially the SEC. UGA vs USC, does have a very nice ring to it. BUT, you forgot to mention the Dawgs REPEAT in '08 !! Anyway, well done and contact CBS Sportsline asap, they need some good writers (I know one that left Jacksonville to work for them and he's terrible). Also, how in the world do you keep up with EVERY conference in detail?

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #4024 by dawgs511
Replied by dawgs511 on topic Re:Never Too Early (SEC edition)
Great post dopalla! Great post!

• dawgs511
  • Visitor
17 years 3 weeks ago #4025 by Dawgforlife
Replied by Dawgforlife on topic Re:Never Too Early (SEC edition)
great post dapolla. yea your right that one sentence was a bit dramatic lol. i would love to see that happen this year with of course our repeat next year. i know that we've been predicted to beat FL this year, but i just gotta say they aren't walking out of the cocktail party with a win. the dawgs will take it for sure. im already going nuts yet we have so long till that first kickoff. im going back to youtube to watch some uga video.

• Dawgforlife
  • Visitor
17 years 3 weeks ago #4026 by dawgystyle
Replied by dawgystyle on topic Re:Never Too Early (SEC edition)
somebody needs to save this just to see exactly how close dapolla is in the end! by the way I hope your 100% right!

• dawgystyle
  • Visitor
17 years 3 weeks ago #4032 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:Never Too Early (SEC edition)
You'll get some love from a$m fans for putting them in the Sugar Bowl. But I don't believe it. I think \"Coach Fran the Genius\" is a pretender to the title. They got by last year on one of the weakest schedules in the country, and had to go to the final play to beat Army. Army! If not for a cheap shot on Colt McCoy there is no way they beat Texas. No, a$m is not going to play in a BCS bowl any time soon.

GATA! Woof!

More
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds