Forum

Recruiting Dogs

17 years 3 months ago #3414 by Buc
Recruiting Dogs was created by Buc
Found this article to be interesting. Hope some of you find it that way also. Go Dogs!

Dogs take care of line needs
BY DAVID CHING
Staff Writer

The hypersensitive members of Georgia's online fan community have spent much of the last month bemoaning the Bulldogs' recent lack of recruiting success.

A sports publisher jokingly says they may need \"suicide watches on the virtual bridges of the Internet\" if the Bulldogs don't land another big fish soon.

Yes, the Bulldogs recently whiffed on some of the most highly regarded talent in Georgia -- most recently Darien, Ga., linebacker Allen Bailey, who crossed Georgia off his list earlier this week -- but many recruiting analysts say Georgia's slow finish is largely self-imposed and the class is already strong because it meets glaring needs.

Chad Simmons, a recruiting expert, points out that the vast majority of Georgia's commitments were secured before Christmas, which creates the appearance of a sluggish finish to recruiting season.

But with a huge void to fill at offensive line, Georgia pursued linemen and has been largely successful. The Bulldogs have already secured commitments from a large group of offensive linemen, including Hardaway tackle Antwane Greenlee, and five of them -- Tanner Strickland, Trinton Sturdivant, Justin Anderson, Vince Vance and Scott Haverkamp -- have enrolled early.

\"They missed out on some of the Georgia headliners like Allen Bailey, (Creekside cornerback) Eric Berry, and (North Clayton safety) Morgan Burnett, but none of those guys were immediate needs,\" Simmons said. \"When you have to sign close to 10 offensive linemen in one class, then that is going to take a toll on the luster of your class.

\"The class may not be fancy and beautiful on the outside, but it has to be viewed as a success to this point from the inside because of meeting needs.\"

The Bulldogs also added a commitment this week who addresses another need in punter Drew Butler, the son of legendary Bulldog place-kicker Kevin Butler. Although Mark Richt's staff is traditionally hesitant to offer scholarships to high school kickers, four-year starting punter Gordon Ely-Kelso will be gone next season and the Bulldogs have a hole to fill.

\"Giving a kicker or punter a scholarship is a dice roll,\" Legge said. \"Butler has his head on straight and can really punt the ball. If you are going to offer a punter, he's the guy to do so.\"

Simmons and Legge agree that Georgia's most significant remaining target is Peachtree Ridge High defensive tackle Cameron Heyward, who was scheduled to visit Athens this weekend and Ohio State the next.

The son of former Atlanta Falcons running back Craig \"Ironhead\" Heyward, he is one of the nation's top remaining uncommitted defensive tackles. But Simmons said his commitment is no more valuable to Georgia now than it ever was, despite the Bulldogs' recent misses.

\"Heyward was very important to begin with, so I don't think he is any more important now, other than in the fans' eyes,\" Simmons said.

With national signing day little more than a week away, the Bulldogs will likely extend another offer or two before national signing day. Both analysts agree Georgia is interested in Eugene Kinlaw, but academics are a concern for the Clinch County star and Simmons believes Georgia may try to place him at a junior college while planning to sign him in the future.

Legge says LaGrange's D.J. Stafford is still on Georgia's radar, while Simmons believes a pair of multitalented athletes, Norcross' Darius Hanks and Zeke Rozier have the best shot of receiving a Georgia offer.

\"Another surprise could pop up next week when the coaches hit the road again to find that sleeper, but Hanks and Rozier are the top two candidates at this time,\" Simmons said. \"If either of those guys get an offer, then I think they commit.\"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 3 months ago #3421 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Recruiting Dogs
I'm a little concerned about Greenlee. Although he has committed to UGA, he initually was interested in FSU and has grown a little interested again. Sure hope he doesn't change his mind because he's a big time player and we need him.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 3 months ago #3427 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re:Recruiting Dogs
wlayton wrote:

I'm a little concerned about Greenlee. Although he has committed to UGA, he initually was interested in FSU and has grown a little interested again. Sure hope he doesn't change his mind because he's a big time player and we need him.

Have some of those same feelings wlayton. Looking at the progress so far, can not be dissatisfied with the ways things are going. Feel that we have shored a couple of areas up that had me worried at the end of the season. Just a quick question, wondering what pro team that you pull for, if any. Good luck in 2007. Go Dogs!

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 3 months ago #3431 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Recruiting Dogs
Buc, good question. First of all, I'm a diehard DAWG fan and a diehard college football fan. I guess I have to pull for the Jaguars since I live in Jax but also have come to really like the Patriots ( didn't like the way they handled their loss to Indy though) I'll reserve comments about their coach but do respect him as a winner. Like Brady as well because he is a winner. Mainly I like them because they play TEAM ball, have great confidence and a quiet swagger. They are good and they can back it up. BUT, NOTHING replaces college football in my heart.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds