Forum

Great Rivalry

18 years 5 months ago #327 by oledawg
Great Rivalry was created by oledawg
From an entertainment perspective that was one of the best games I've seen in a long, long time. Plenty of offense, mistakes, bad calls, good calls, interceptions, fumbles, neither team could seem to contain the other. It was one of those that the last one with the ball wins. Emotion was up and down like a roller coaster.

AU is to be congratulated, 4th and 11 and they convert a huge play to set up the winning FG.

Ok now for the UGA in me, Tubberville is a smart coach and that time out tactic he has been using over the years when he sees the call isn't gonna work really burns my &*&^^$%#. We had offense this week but the defensive scheme seemed to be a little off till the second half. Irons big runs were set up by a play that went to a gap between the our nose tackle and our DE with a LB covering the run. AU had a guard and tackle to run block. Could have driven a semi through it. Persuit was non existant till the second half. We couldn't seem to get our backs untracked against their defense to hold their LBs for the play action but some folks really made some good catches. I counted 5 dropped balls for us that DJ put in peoples hands though. May have made a difference but thats hindsight. Glad to see our offensive abilities back in the passing though. DJ made some poor choices that could have killed us but luckily AU DBs have butter fingers. All in all a game that we shouldn't beat ourselves up over but move on and keep working. K Kats next week, take em down and its to the SEC CG, then to the gnats. Oh, a big thanks to Stevie over in Columbia. Never thought I'd say that in my life.

Nice meeting you Ashdawg. Didn't get home til 4 AM.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• oledawg
  • oledawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bull Dawg
More
18 years 5 months ago #334 by jacketexterminator24
Replied by jacketexterminator24 on topic Re: Great Rivalry
what burns me is that we can't stop a 4th and 11. For God's sake Richt! ur the head coach! what in the hell did u do for 2 weeks? play checkers? u can't come up with a plan for a 2 point conversion or 4th and eleven in 2 *%^$ weeks!? That's downright pathetic. Auburn had every right to win that game if thats the best u can do. I'll bet on the other team in the SECCG if i don't see a blowout of Kentucky and Tech.

• jacketexterminator24
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago #335 by oledawg
Replied by oledawg on topic Re: Great Rivalry
Whoa big guy, after looking at the game again there are a couple of other things that were more devastating than the 2 point play or the 4th and 11. Remember these are kids we expect the world out of. They will make mistakes, they aren't perfect as much as we'd like them to be. Show me a coach or player that claims to have never made a mistake and I'll show you a bonifide liar. We presented 2 very nice gifts to the folks from Alabama that they converted to scores. 2 guys that don't lose the handle on the ball that often did just that. I'm not kicking them just that the turnovers gave AU 14 points very easily. Take them away and its a very different game. But that's football, taking advantage of the other guys mistakes. We put up enough points to win and just missed the "W", (even with the mistakes) we don't lose faith but continue to support the efforts of kids playing their hearts out for us. Don't jump ship, we take the good with the bad. We were not supposed to go anywhere this year, UT and UF were supposed to trample the SEC. This year is not what every super media know it all expected. UGA and LSU in the SEC CG. I can live with that. It really doesn't matter how you get to the big party, but that you get to it. Since USC lucked out against ND and Texas basically doesn't have any competition in their conference our chances this year for a NC shot were at best very long odds. The overall performance of the "Program" and the positive strides we've made since Richt have and will continue. We'll get there just keep the faith. This oledawgs opinion, I bleed red and black, win, lose, or draw! Go DAWGS!!! Skin those Kats!

• oledawg
  • Bull Dawg
More
18 years 5 months ago #339 by jwthompson1962
Replied by jwthompson1962 on topic Re: Great Rivalry
Great post oledawg! I have to agree with everything you stated. The so-called-experts had us finishing behind both the gators and vols. heck, they even had fat Phil's boys playing for the NC! And look where they are? They're fighting just to have a winning record! The one real gripe I have about the Auburn game is how we left the middle of the field open on that 4th and long! You just don't do that! I don't care how good their RB is, you can't give the middle of the field away like that! Well, one other gripe would be some calls by the officials. That pass interference on Pope after the catch by McClendon was totally BS! And that crap about the timeout calls was some more BS! It seemed to me that they waited to see how the play would comeout before stepping in to say a TO was called! The play works for postive yards, no timeout. Auburn gets sacked, intercepted, or anything else, timeout was called before the play! But, other than that and our inability to stop Irons, it was a good game.

• jwthompson1962
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago #341 by jacketexterminator24
Replied by jacketexterminator24 on topic Re: Great Rivalry
I agrre that the 2 point conversion wasn't a huge deal, but the 4th and 11 sent me home. Martinez can't only think run. He sent battle to blitz and Blue was way out of position. Nothing against Paul Oliver, but Aroma what's his face is a tall fast receiver, and Oliver is a fairly new starter. Basically, Greg took the words right out of my mouth. I'm just burnt up inside because we lost to the Gators and the Tigers, but not because we lost to both of them again. Instead, we lost to 2 teams we could have beaten. I feel like not everything was done to prepare those boys for these two hardest games of the season. The players aren't to blame, but lack of preperation and too many simple mistakes were. The fumbles killed us. Flowers can be a great return man, but for Gods sake go down if u don't see a hole. I don't know what happened with Sutherland's fumble other than just unlucky break. I have to agree with Munson, it just wasn't meant to be. KEEP ON KICKING BOYS. IT AIN'T OVER YET!

• jacketexterminator24
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago #342 by oledawg
Replied by oledawg on topic Re: Great Rivalry
oops, just saw the Richt show, and the AU fumble down on our 4 or 5 after the catch went into the end zone out of bounds. They scored off that Bad Call by the official. We should have gotten the ball on our 20. So, take another score away from AU. Lets see 31-21 = 10 for AU. 2 UGA fumbles and an oficially bad call. But, thats football.

Got a question, I was obviously mistaken or got wrong info from someone but I thought that every play had some sort of review in the SEC. Was it me or did some of those calls border on a re look???? Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Richt did admit that the defense in the first half blew some gap assignments. Irons made the most of by the way. Coverage assignments broke down too.

Kids making mistakes, God bless 'em. By the time I'm ready to depart this world my noggin won't have a hair left. Been threatening to take off my hat at the game and let the sun reflect off the hairless parts and try to blind the opposing players.

Get ready for the Blue Kats! Go Dawgs!!!!!

• oledawg
  • Bull Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds