Forum

UGA PLAYER VIEWS

17 years 4 months ago #2811 by Buc
UGA PLAYER VIEWS was created by Buc
OK, going to let up after this one. Just good to be exchanging with UGA folks. This is long, but interesting. If you have seen this already, sorry, it was supposedly submitted today. Go Dawgs!

Most freshmen watched season from sidelines
BY DAVID CHING
Staff Writer

ATHENS, Ga. - A player with the talent of a Matthew Stafford stands as the exception to many rules. Included among them is that a quarterback likely won't play as a true freshman.

Obviously, Stafford did play this season, earning freshman all-SEC honors in the process. But as is often the case in a successful program, he was one of the few true freshmen on the team who made it off the sidelines on Saturdays.

Of Georgia's 24 true freshmen, Stafford was joined only by freshman cornerbacks Asher Allen and Prince Miller, receiver Kris Durham, defensive tackle Geno Atkins and linebacker Darius Dewberry on the field this year.

The remaining 18 members of the signing class were redshirted and relegated to the often-difficult duty of playing for the scout team -- and this is a class that was rated fourth in the nation by both Scout.com and Rivals.com last winter.

"We redshirted a good many this year that certainly could have helped us win games," Georgia coach Mark Richt said.

Those players will get their chance soon, as the 2007 Bulldogs will have numerous holes to fill, and they believe some of the redshirted players are fully capable of filling them.

For instance, Georgia loses three experienced linebackers -- seniors Tony Taylor, Jarvis Jackson and Danny Verdun Wheeler -- after this season. Strongside linebacker Brandon Miller will return, as will Marcus Washington, Dannell Ellerbe and Dewberry, but freshmen Akeem Dent, Darryl Gamble and Akeem Hebron all stand to enter the mix when spring practice begins.

"I think they're gonna be totally ready. Spring's gonna be good for them," Verdun Wheeler said. "They've seen all of us play every week. Every week they break down film with us. We've shown them the way, now it's just up to them to do it."

That's the way the veterans talk about many of the youngsters for next year. They've seen the young players' potential on the practice field and in the film room and they're excited about what the future holds for Georgia.

Joe Tereshinski talks about how much progress the three redshirted offensive linemen -- Chris Davis, Josh Davis and Kevin Perez -- have made. Tra Battle calls safety Quintin Banks "Baby Blue," a reference to former Georgia all-American Greg Blue, and thinks Reshad Jones can be the next Sean Jones, another Bulldog all-American. Ray Gant compares defensive end Kiante Tripp to Florida great and NFL All-Pro Jevon Kearse.

The star of the scout team may have been running back Knowshon Moreno, who was highly thought of coming out of high school, but was a victim of the glut of tailbacks on the Bulldog roster. His teammates predict stardom for the New Jersey native, however.

"He's got as much talent as any player as I've seen since I've been here," fullback Brannan Southerland said of Moreno. "He's got incredible work ethic, he's really worked hard in the weight room this year and you can see he's put on some weight."

Linebacker isn't the only position where many new names will be listed on the two-deep depth chart. The offensive line will be almost completely remade and the defensive line will see significant turnover as well.

But with the players they have coming off redshirt years and with the incoming players expected to contribute immediately, the Bulldogs don't expect a lull. They think the youngsters will jump right in with the other returning players to maintain Georgia's status as one of the league's best teams.

"They're gonna be great guys to watch. They've really matured this year," Tereshinski said. "They've done a great job of getting after it every day and they've gotten a lot of support from the seniors. It's gonna be an exciting future for them."

QUINTIN BANKS

Projected 2007 position: Safety

Height/Weight: 6-2/192

Teammate's comments: "Typical Georgia safety, I guess. The big-hitting safety that everybody says we're missing this year. He has learned the game extremely fast, the playbook. He can answer the questions that coach asks that most guys at that point don't usually know. He's learned the package extremely well." ­ Georgia safety Tra Battle

SHAUN CHAPAS

Projected 2007 position: Fullback

Height/Weight: 6-2/237

Teammate's comments: "Chapas is the tallest of the fullbacks and he's a little more thinned out because he's a little taller. They've both shown us that they can run the ball, catch the ball and they've kept their head down, too. It's hard to say a difference (between Chapas and Fred Munzenmaier) so far." ­ Fullback Brannan Southerland

RICARDO CRAWFORD

Projected 2007 position: Defensive tackle

Height/Weight: 6-1/298

Teammate's comments: "Ricardo Crawford will be a monster if he can ever learn the plays and stay healthy. The kid, he's gonna be a little boulder, a road stop." ­ Defensive tackle Ray Gant

CHRIS DAVIS

Projected 2007 position: Offensive guard/center

Height/Weight: 6-4/278

Teammate's comments: "Chris Davis is the kind of player that he can play guard and center, because he's very agile, very athletic and he can move real well. He's got a couple of technique problems, but other than that, he's a very good player." ­ Offensive guard Chester Adams

JOSH DAVIS

Projected 2007 position: Offensive tackle

Height/Weight: 6-3/274

Teammate's comments: "I think Josh has improved the most, I really do. He's really shown the most of everybody who's here. Right now, he gets beat every now and then, but he never quits. He's a hard worker, he's very enthusiastic, so that brings a lot to the table itself." ­ Offensive guard Chester Adams

AKEEM DENT

Projected 2007 position: Strongside linebacker

Height/Weight: 6-2/214

Teammate's comments: "He's just a phenomenal guy, strong upper body, probably gonna play a lot next year ­ he might start. Fast. He's just a typical sam linebacker, real good." ­ Linebacker Danny Verdun Wheeler

DEMARCUS DOBBS

Projected 2007 position: Defensive end

Height/Weight: 6-2/270

Teammate's comments: "Great upside. A little quiet, needs to get more of a football mentality, a little more toughness. He has it, but he's a nice guy too, though. When he gets some of that jerk in him, then it's a wrap." ­ Defensive tackle Ray Gant

DARRYL GAMBLE

Projected 2007 position: Middle linebacker

Height/Weight: 6-2/224

Teammate's comments: "He's getting a lot of reps now with the twos at mike 'backer since Marcus Washington got hurt. I've been going in with him and helping him out a bit. He really is a good mike linebacker. He's young and has got great instincts." ­ Linebacker Danny Verdun Wheeler

AKEEM HEBRON

Projected 2007 position: Weakside linebacker

Height/Weight: 6-1/214

Teammate's comments: "He's the most wise linebacker, the smartest linebacker we've got. Everything he does, he thinks before he does it. He doesn't make many errors at all. He's gonna be one of those Tony Taylor-type players in the future." ­ Linebacker Danny Verdun Wheeler

RESHAD JONES

Projected 2007 position: Safety

Height/Weight: 6-2/188

Teammate's comments: "Reshad's just a natural athlete. Anytime the ball's in the air, he goes up to get it. He may not know the playbook and the scheme as well as (Quintin) Banks, but athletic-wise, he's with the best of us as far as covering and ball skills. He's just a natural at it, you can really tell." ­ Georgia safety Tra Battle

MICHAEL LEMON

Height/Weight: 6-4/261

Teammate's comments: "He's probably the smallest and quickest of the bunch. He's not the strongest, but he uses other things. He kind of reminds me of myself when I was a redshirt, but he competes probably a little harder than I did at that time." ­ Defensive end Quentin Moses

KNOWSHON MORENO

Projected 2007 position: Tailback

Height/Weight: 5-11/205

Teammate's comments: "Hard-working, determined, he's fast and he's strong and I think he's gonna be a great player. He goes out there every day and gives 100 percent, so I think he's gonna be nice in the future." ­ Tailback Danny Ware

FRED MUNZENMAIER

Projected 2007 position: Fullback

Height/Weight: 6-2/240

Teammate's comments: "Fred is built a lot more like me. (He and Shaun Chapas have) been working hard in the weight room and they're gonna pick it up just great this spring. Their athleticism is gonna be big, it's gonna help them step up to be able to play fullback here." ­ Fullback Brannan Southerland

KEVIN PEREZ

Projected 2007 position: Offensive guard/center

Height/Weight: 6-3/274

Teammate's comments: "He gradually came on during the spring and unfortunately this fall he got a couple of injuries that held him out. But other than that, he's got great feet, a good personality, he's willing to work, so he's going to bring a lot to the table." ­ Offensive guard Chester Adams

KIANTE TRIPP

Height/Weight: 6-6/272

Teammate's comments: "Perfect frame, perfect size. Big, strong, hard worker. He'll probably be an all-American before he leaves." ­ Defensive end Quentin Moses

NADERRIS WARD

Projected 2007 position: Tight end

Height/Weight: 6-5/252

Teammate's comments: "I expect him to come a long way. He's very eager to learn, very eager to watch film. He wants to keep the Georgia tradition alive at tight end. He might have to wait a year behind Tripp (Chandler) or whatnot, but I think he's gonna do a great job." ­ Tight end Martrez Milner

TONY WILSON

Projected 2007 position: Wide receiver

Height/Weight: 5-11/196

Teammate's comments: "You can tell he's still young, he's got an attitude sometimes, but I think he'll be good. As far as his work ethic, he likes to work, he loves to get extra reps. When you try to tell him what to do, he listens and he tries to work at it, so he's a great cat. I think he's a playmaker. He makes things happen." ­ Receiver A.J. Bryant

BRANDON WOOD

Projected 2007 position: Defensive end/defensive tackle

Height/Weight: 6-1/275

Teammate's comments: "I probably like Wood the best. He's an athlete and he's big. But I think Wood is like a biscuit away from being a D-tackle, so put that in there to give Wood some motivation." ­ Defensive tackle Ray Gant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 4 months ago #2812 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: UGA PLAYER VIEWS
Hey Buc, this is great, thanks!! I'm printing it to see later how they all pan out.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 4 months ago #2813 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: UGA PLAYER VIEWS
I am soooooooooo ready for football season to start again next year. I wish we could have football all year. I gave up on the NBA and the NHL does nothing for me.

GO DAWGS!

• kentdaddy
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 4 months ago #2815 by nwgdawg
Replied by nwgdawg on topic Re: UGA PLAYER VIEWS
Does anyone ever feel that when football is over, it is like your girlfriend has left you and all you have left is your wife. LoL.

• nwgdawg
  • Visitor
17 years 4 months ago #2825 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: UGA PLAYER VIEWS
I'm with you kentdaddy, I could care less if the NBAand NHL folded or if they cut the MLB season at least in half. Wouldn't miss them at all. (do like MLB playoffs, World Series)-- nwgdawg, I believe the word DEPRESSION was derived from the college football season ending every year.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 4 months ago #2833 by Dawgforlife
Replied by Dawgforlife on topic Re: UGA PLAYER VIEWS
i can't wait for next season to start also. went to hs with quintin and i know that he'll give us some hits for us to see.

• Dawgforlife
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds