Forum

Formula

17 years 5 months ago #2464 by dapolla
Formula was created by dapolla
As promised, here is the 2006 Division 1-A Football Tournament, if the NCAA would get its head out of its rear and listen to ME.

For new members and folks who just flat out didn't read my other post about my 2005 tourney, here's the formula(with thanks to the Field-of-64 NCAA D1 bball tourney):

ALL D1-A conference champions get in, as well as the best team of the Independents. So that's the SEC, ACC, Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, MAC, WAC, MWC, C-USA, and Sun Belt champs, plus the team with the best overall record out of Army, Navy, Temple, and Notre Dame. Then, the top two BCS-ranked non-conference champs get at-large bids. The top-two BCS-ranked teams, regardless of conference championships or not, get a bye into the second round. All rounds would be played in bowl games so conferences and teams could make oodles of money.

This year, here's what your tournament would look like(I've estimated the places of the non-ranked teams...the hell if I'm doing Sagarin-style research!):

Final BCS Top 10: 1) Ohio State, 2) Florida, 3) Michigan, 4) LSU, 5) USC, 6) Louisville, 7) Wisconsin, 8) Boise State, 9) Auburn, 10) Oklahoma

Conference champions(automatic bids) and their final BCS rankings:

SEC: Florida(2)
ACC: Wake Forest(14)
Big East: Louisville(6)
PAC-10: USC(5, tiebreaker over Cal)
Big 12: Oklahoma(10)
Big 10: Ohio State(1)
MAC: Central Michigan(NR)
Sun Belt: Troy(NR)
MWC: BYU(20)
WAC: Boise State(8)
C-USA: Houston(NR)
Independents: Notre Dame(11)

Top two BCS top-ten non-champions(at-large teams): Michigan(3), LSU(4)

Championship game: Fiesta Bowl
Semifinals: Fiesta Bowl
Quarterfinals: Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl
Round One(two games each): Gator Bowl, Capital One Bowl, Outback Bowl

Round One, with seedings:

(1)Ohio State – bye
(2)Florida – bye

(3)Michigan v. (14)Troy in the Capital One Bowl
(4)LSU v. (13)Houston in the Capital One Bowl
(5)USC v. (12)Central Michigan in the Outback Bowl
(6)Louisville v. (11)BYU in the Outback Bowl
(7)Boise State v. (10)Wake Forest in the Gator Bowl
(8)Oklahoma v. (9)Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2465 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Formula
Sounds good to me.

• kentdaddy
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2467 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Formula
We could just add two more teams and do away with byes. Witht he Bye week you introduce the BCS and its flawed means as a way to determine who is #1 and #2. I want the BCS to sink to the bottom of the ocean and never be heard from again. Of course I may be a bit of a radical.

• kentdaddy
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2471 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Formula
I dunno kentdaddy, I think that a) the BCS formula would work in conjunction with a playoff, since it does take logical factors into account, and b) without the pressure of deciding the BEST TWO TEAMS, voters might actually put the number two team in the number two spot just for a better seed, knowing that other teams like an undefeated '04 Auburn or a one-loss '02 Georgia team, or a one-loss '06 Michigan team would get a shot, having won their conferences or finished highly-ranked enough.

Plus, I think making it through the season undefeated in a major conference -- as so many of the #1s and #2s do -- is worthy of a bit of a rest, don't you?

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.024 seconds