Forum

What will it take to win National Championship?

17 years 5 months ago #2176 by UnderDog37
It will take a lot more depth in the offensive line than what we will have next season to win a national championship. We are gonna be painfully thin, and we cannot afford an injury of any kind there. It will also take a lot more love from the pollsters than an SEC team normally gets from them as well. You would think that a 13-0 season and an SEC championship would be enough, but it wasn't for Auburn in 04, and they were one of the most dominating teams I ever saw in this conference. Until we get a playoff, I dont think we will get any love from any of the pollsters, simply because the ones that vote only want to see the NC given to an eastern power like Notre Dame, or a western team like So Cal. Mark my words...if Notre Dame beats So Cal this weekend, there will be much lobbying to give them a title shot, no matter what happens with the Michigan situation. This whole BCS system is designed to put teams in power that the media types in the biggest media market areas want to see as champions....thus, poor little Auburn, Alabama got left out in 04.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• UnderDog37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago #2177 by jacketexterminator24
Replied by jacketexterminator24 on topic Re: What will it take to win National Championship?
UnderDog, I've been saying the exact same thing for years now. Take the polling power away from the media and give it to the coaches, A.D.'s, whoever. The media is a bunch of homers. They base their votes on storied programs and the storyline a NC game would carry, versus which teams are the most well rounded, talented, and deserving. Notre Dame has no right to go to Glendale nor does So Cal. Assuming they beat the Gators and LSU, Arkansas deserves to go. USC and the Irish would get blown away by Ohio State. If not the SEC winner, then take Michigan, otherwise I won't even bother watching a game with a predictable outcome. Ridiculous.

• jacketexterminator24
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago #2185 by UnderDog37
Sometimes it doesn't matter wether the coaches control the polls or not, though. Two examples: in 1980, UGA was 12-0, unbeaten, untied, everything else you need to have to get a championship. The media tried EVERYTHING to not vote us in. They sed we had a weak schedule, we were just lucky, we weren't that good....all the usual complaints. We got it because we were the only D-1 team that was unbeaten that season. In 1993, FSU lost to Notre Dame during the season, but only dropped ONE SPOT in the polls. Notre Dame lost to Boston College later on, but still didnt get a title shot. Why? Because all the coaches who vote wanted Bobby Bowden to get a title. Notre Dame finished with the exact same record as FSU, AND had a more convincing bowl win than the 1-point win FSU had in their bowl. FSU still got the title despite being beaten by Notre Dame. They wanted Bobby to get a title before he retired....it's that simple. and it was another poll conspiracy.

• UnderDog37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.026 seconds