Forum

The fade

17 years 6 months ago #1578 by wlayton
The fade was created by wlayton
Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same way I do about the short fade pass in the end zone? It seems to never work (intercepted at UK right before the half, CRITICAL scoring opportunity). I know, I know, the pro's do it all the time but it just seems to be a very low percentage pass play. I think it is a difficult throw in close to the end zone as opposed to the longer fade route in the middle of the field. Tighter coverage versus looser coverage. I like the play in the open field, it seems to work well because it's thrown before the db is turned around (I know same in end zone, but much less room). Anyway, we seem to complete 1 in 10 (if that), hate the fade!!

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 6 months ago #1580 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: The fade
I am with you. The play I really hate is that bubble screen Spurrier used to run on us. WVU did it too. Oprah Winfrey could get 150 yards on us with that play.

To make the fade route work you need a guy like Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss. I believe that play to Johnson in the endzone against Auburn a few years back was a fade but that may have been more of a jumo ball. Anyway. Once again I agree with Mr. wlayton.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1586 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: The fade
Glad to hear that I'm not by myself on this play. The pass to Johnson I believe was more of a jump ball with the miss match in size with Johnson at approx 6'3" vs. the db at approx 5'11". Plus, I think David threw the ball from about the 25 yard line. He had looked to the right for Gibson (bait) and turned left to Johnson. I also agree with you on that "bubble screen"---hate it. Also, why can everybody run it well against us and we are terrible when we try the play?

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #1596 by Getdown11
Replied by Getdown11 on topic Re: The fade
I think the fade in the endzone only works with good receivers that can grab the jump ball. Right now we dont have receivers that can catch the ball when it hits them in the numbers.

As for us sucking at covering the bubble screen, I believe its because of the defensive scheme we typically run plus if its executed well its pretty hard to stop. It all comes down to the receivers making the blocks and comes down to the saftey getting off of his to make the play. I believe we just arent very agressive on defense. We dont explode through gaps, we very rarely blitz from the secondary, and we play soft zone coverage. Dont get me started on missed tackles.

Go Dawgs !!!!

Go Dawgs!!!!

More
17 years 5 months ago #1597 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: The fade
Getdown11, I couldn't agree with you more!! We need to go get Will Muschamp at AU to be our new DC, they are very aggressive.

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.027 seconds