Forum

Keys to The Contest

16 years 6 months ago #7733 by DawgSpeare
Keys to The Contest was created by DawgSpeare
Keys to The Contest: - Expect the fake punt - Expect the fake FG - Expect the onside kick - Expect razzle-dazzle, dippity doo dah plays - Somebody spy Tebow and tackle him low (don’t try to out-muscle him; he will crunch you; we don’t have to kill him, just tackle him low) - Be sure tacklers - Turnovers - Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals!

P.S.
Every team in the SEC right now is a FO (formidable opponent). UF is certainly one of the best. Like it or not, the true football fan recognizes, respects and admits the truth based on his (this is a guy thing BTW) own observations. Wisdom insists that one form his assessments and evaluations of teams and players objectively. But this seldom happens. Emotion most always body-slams wisdom in the formation of conclusions and opinions by the fan.

My sense is that this emotion does not always tilt the fan’s opinions overtly or conspicuously in favor of his team. Often, because of his deep love and attachment to his team and his desire to see them be successful, he criticizes one or more aspects of the team or the program as a hedge against failure. Doing so helps protect him from the pain that invariably accompanies loss on the field of play. I know that I do this, and I suspect others do as well.

With that said, UF is not simply a formidable opponent; the toothy lizzards are one of the best teams in the SEC and in the nation. I do not like it, but it is true. They are, generally speaking, better than UGA at this point in time. They have better talent, more success in the recent past and great pospects for the future. Now, I’m not saying that they are way ahead of UGA, just slightly so at this point in time. I think we are reasonably close to them and probably closing, but we ARE trailing them regardless of whether we win on Saturday or not.

Their QB is strong, physically, mentally and in terms of skill and leadership. He has admirable qualities (which is one of the things that is distasteful about him to a Dawg fan). Coach Meyer is effective and has come to the SEC and is being successful in our own back yard; let’s admit the truth. Give credit where it’s due. Besides superman, they have Harvin, Ingram and probably another one or two very talented big-play men on the offensive side. They have at least a couple of outstanding defenders as well. UGA has talent as well, but no one who has risen to the heights of accomplishment and success as the aforementioned lizzard people. Moreno probably has come the closest; MS has a lot of potential but has not been dominating in any performance; he has shown flashes of brilliance. All of this is OK! It’s fine! It can work to our advantage, if we continue on a path of progress and improvement. Like Lou Holtz says, “Guys you don’t have to be the best team in the nation or in the conference, you just have to be the best team in Jax on Saturday!”

Dawwwwgs Go! :angry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• DawgSpeare
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 6 months ago #7774 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Keys to The Contest
We have to come out loose, expecting to win, no fear. At this juncture, we have nothing to lose. I hope we pull out all the stops and fly around like crazed madmen. We cannot fall behind like in the UT game. I have a good feeling about this game, not contrived. This is these kids' moment to go down in Georgia lore. I think we win.

More
16 years 6 months ago #7776 by flyindawg
Replied by flyindawg on topic Re:Keys to The Contest
I agree. It's easier to watch aggressive mistakes than tentative ones.

More
16 years 6 months ago #7787 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Keys to The Contest
Nothing's worse than getting beat playing passively. Get after it for crying out loud, what is there to lose!!

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 6 months ago #7790 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re:Keys to The Contest
Exactly. Let's bring the heat on D and try to force a mistake, rather than watch the game from the field.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

More
16 years 6 months ago #7800 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re:Keys to The Contest
sadlerdawg -- Bump! Go Dawgs!

More
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds