Forum

Our problem.

16 years 6 months ago #7344 by dawg1454
Our problem. was created by dawg1454
After 4 hours of research I have decided that no Willie is not the best DC out there but the problem we have is our players do not go after the ball enough.And some of the responsablity also lies on Stafford ,o-line and receivers but ill get into that in a min.In the pre-CWM era from 2000-2004 we were averageing 24.8 TO's a year 308.84 ypg 16.6 ppg 24.6 TD's p year 13.8 INT per year. Now to the willie era 29.5 TO's a yr 297.1 ypg but heres the kicker weve been holding them to less yards (This yr being an execption because were averaging 319.6 ppg) but were giving up way more points at 17.9 ppg over 2.5 yrs (This yr is 19.7 and we havent hit the real meat yet) we gave away 27.5 TD's per yr over the past 2 yrs. And so far this yr we only have 2 INTs. So the way i see it were (this year being an execption ) that were giving it up more in the red zone but overall the \"d\" does not look as good but on paper we dont look bad(not that im saying that we look good). Plus we dont have the bit hit that we had before with blue and Thurman. I also think were weak on both lines and i think thats where the problem starts on both sides of the ball.If we had thrown fewer INTs last yr the d accually held and we might have won some of those games. But Stafford has improved alot and may only have 7-8 INTs this yr and no more than 5-6 each of the next two after looking at the numbers and seeing that greene threw 10 his first yr and 8-9 the rest of his college career and shockley threw 4 his senior year i have alot more faith here.That being said i see now that not all of what stafford has produced was all of his fault it lies more with the line and his RECEIVERS or lack there of and if he had time to throw he might could hit some of the wide open receivers. But all of that being said yes our D need to wrap up and attack the ball more AND STOP THEM IN THE RED ZONE not one side of the team can win or lose a game. Does CWM need to go most likey or get better recruits teach the guys he has that they need to get the ball and wrap up not just make one arm tackles. The real differance b/t the teams of today and 3-4 yrs ago is heart and the good talent is better but the bad is worse (espically on D).But i feel with better receivers (like the ones that greene had) we would have more oppertunies to score and with better talent on the backside of the ball we might could acually stop some one. But i have to say that i feel our main problem is recuriting which dose ult lies on the coaching staff. Thanks for reading and tell me what you think.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dawg1454
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #7346 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re:Our problem.
I'm not a big stats guy, dawg1454, I'm more of a results kind of guy. I don't think the stats prove a whole lot, but watching teams cram the ball down this \"d\"'s throat (oops, I mean down the WD-40 boys throats) is what proves they aren't up to snuff. Yes, they have talent, and flashes of brilliance, but they are not nearly aggressive enough and nobody will step forward to lead them. These are the defensive coordinator's responsibility. Slick willie needs to fire these guys up and discover somebody to lead them, and abandon his \"break but don't break too bad\" philosophy (we're way past the \"bend but don't break\" stage). Watching the other team march down the field at will while you're \"preventing the big play\" is demoralizing. Fix the WD-40 boys first, then I think the other solutions will fall into place.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

More
16 years 6 months ago #7350 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Our problem.
You can count the number of take-aways we have had this season on one hand. That is a very big statistic, one that often makes or breaks teams in the SEC. This is a very big reason we are not playing as well on the D as we have over the last few years. We havent had the type of impact players that we had with Davis, Blue, or Pollack. I know we are all tired of hearing it, but this is another example of youth on both sides of the ball.....although I still think the lack of aggressiveness is a coaching problem.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #7358 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Our problem.
Love the cliques sadlerdawg.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.027 seconds