Forum

Goff and Donnan revisited

16 years 7 months ago #6911 by UnderDog37
Goff and Donnan revisited was created by UnderDog37
Let me begin by saying that I think Coach Richt is the best thing to happen to UGA since 1964. I watched him as an OC under Bobby Bowden for close to 15 years. It's no coincidence that FSU was a good, but not great team until CMR was given the OC position. Check the facts......from 1987, when CMR was promoted, till 2000, his last season, FSU went 14 seasons with a final top 5 ranking, 14 straight bowl appearances, 2 national championships, played for 3 others, and conference champions from 1992 till 2001. At UGA, a bowl game every year, 2 conference titles, played for one other. Again, something we haven't seen here since the last few years we had Coach Dooley. It's been good until last year. So much for the good.

Now, for the bad, and in the case of the last 2 seasons there has been quite a bit of bad, and I know I am spoiled, but the day I say that a loss is ok, because we are \"inexperienced\" is the day y'all can say I'm not a fan anymore. The fact is, that team looked like a team coached by Donnan or Goff the other day. They looked totally unprepared, totally out of focus, and totally awful on defense and on special teams. I havent seen the likes of this since the Donnan days, when our team would be routinely 4-1 or 5-0 only to be exposed by UT, win the next 2 or 3, get exposed by UF, win the next one, get beat by AU every other year, and then a maybe win or loss against Tech, then listen to Donnan point out that a loss to Tech wasn't important because it wasn't a conference game, and then be 7-4 or 8-3, and go to a bad bowl game, and listen to Goff or Donnan blow smoke up our a$$es at the end of the year by telling us that we are just one season away from greatness.

Bottom line: Florida is in the same boat we are, as far as youth and inexperience, and they beat UT 59-20. They lost only once to a team they should have beaten with AU, and they lost to what may or may not be the eventual National Champion by 4 points in the visiting stadium. I know Stafford is young, but so is Tebow. I know we have a young OL, but so does UF& AU. I know our defense is young and suspect, but so is UF's. Our running game is supposed to be beter than UF's, but it looked like garbage against UT. Our receivers once again cannot catch the ball, but UF's dont seem to be having a problem catching balls from another superb QB with a rocket for an arm. The common denominator is coaching, people....and our assistants, especially on defense, and the coaches charged with teaching WRs how to catch just aint making it. I am tired of hearing about how we are supposed to be great in 08 or 09. We say that every year. How can we be in a position to have to replace almost the entire OL with a bunch of freshmen and JUCO transfers? It doesn't make sense. However, it still is what it is. We got exposed by UT, we will probably (I hope) beat Vandy, but they aren't a \"gimmie W\" anymore, have a week off to prepare for UF, and hopefully we will be better prepared that we were last week, only to get exposed by UF (again), then hopefully we can finish the season with a win over Tech, and a decent bowl, and a 7 or 8 win season. No, I cant accept it...I wont accept it, and I refuse to say that the way we looked the other day was because of inexperience......we were just totally unprepared, and that's a coaching problem. Especially with the D coaches. Looked like a Joe Kines or a Gary Gibbs defense out there, and I'm not gonna apologize for feeling this way, so critisize me all you want, but I refuse to accept mediocre football. 0-6 against the SEC East since last year IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.....................just as it wasn't with Goff and Donnan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• UnderDog37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #6913 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re:Goff and Donnan revisited
Thank you, underdog, well said. Glad to hear you're one of us who refuses to accept mediocrity. I'm totally behind Richt, but like you, I'm not sure some of the assistants are making the grade.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

More
16 years 7 months ago #6914 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Goff and Donnan revisited
What I saw last week was a total lack of preparation, but it was especially evident on the D side of the ball. Arm tackles, missed coverage assignments, no intensity, poor play from # 12, who looks to be one of the biggest busts we have recruited since Jasper Sanks, and an unimaginative game plan from the DC. It's usually the D that keeps us in the game, but being down 28-0 at the half while also giving up 14 first downs and only making UT punt one time is just plain awful. Special teams was also bad. We never had a kicked blocked under CMR until last year, and now we have another blocked kick against the same team. It's a bad day whenever the punter was the best thing going for the offense. Top to bottom, it has to be the worst performance for a UGA team in the Richt era.

• UnderDog37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #6928 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Goff and Donnan revisited
Perfect UnderDog37, exactly what sadlerdawg and I have been preaching. We all love CMR but Martinez and Jancek have got to go. I'm not sure they can even SPELL defensive scheme much less implement one.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 7 months ago #6931 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Goff and Donnan revisited
I can only hope CMR feels the anger of the fans.

More
16 years 7 months ago #6932 by miss_uga
Replied by miss_uga on topic Re:Goff and Donnan revisited
I agree with UnderDog37. What happened to the concept of WRAPPING UP and protecting the QB? Maybe, as someone else stated earlier....maybe in another post...Stafford did look panicked like he was anticipating getting hit, but guess what!?!? He DID get hit!! SEVERAL TIMES!! The O-line was practically laying down. We don't need to lay down...we need to HUNKER DOWN!!!!!!!

It's time to get ready for the next game. This was a heartbreaking loss, but we can't allow it to darken our spirits to the point that we don't believe in our beloved Dawgs. I, for one, am standing up and screaming-- I AM PROUD TO BE A GEORGIA BULLDOG!

• miss_uga
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds