Forum

Punts

16 years 6 months ago #6814 by OvalG
Punts was created by OvalG
Thought I would switch gears a little here.
Why don't we try to block opponents punts? I've been curious about that for 3 years now. That's when I noticed we rarely try to punt rush. When we do attempt a punt rush we are actually Very successful. I can't quote the statistics and I can only make observations from the televised games I've seen the last 3 years maybe longer. I do remember about 2 years ago, and it may have been against Tenn, I think we blocked 2 punts in a game. I remember we had rushed the punter 3 times at that point and had blocked 2 out of 3. I call that VERY successful.
I know the obvious...drop back and get a couple key blocks and maybe you can spring a speedster like Mikey...BUT when we don't apply pressure to the kicker 1. he can take his time to get a nice HIGH kick so they can cover better..2. they can immediately take off to punt cover and force a fair catch. 3. Worse, they can fake the punt and get the first down and beat us.
IF we rushed the punter then 1. the blockers have to stay home and actually block therefore they can't take off immediately on punt coverage. 2. the punter may get pressure and shank the kick or kick a line drive and out kick the coverage which only helps a speedster like Mikey. He then wouldn't need the entire team dropping back to block. 3. best case we actually BLOCK a punt and get field position that helps our offense or maybe run the block in for 6.
Now I'm not saying we need to all out rush on every punt...but man rush SOMEBODY!!! Especially when you are loosing by 3 or 4 touchdowns. Try to swing the momentum somehow!!
There was 1 punt today(Tenn didn't have that many anyway) Tenn was punting right to left so whatever quarter that was..(4th). We had 2 players across the blue line of scrimage mark when the ball was kicked. And they were big linemen that were each just 1 step over the blue line not trying at all to put ANY pressure on the kicker. Seriously, anyone who tivo'd it check it out.
Someone who does do stats, where do we rank in punt returns.
Sorry to carry on and on. Had to rant just a little and everything thing else I wanted to say had already been said;)
I love the DAWGS. I just hate to loose to Tennessee.
MARK G from Tennessee.

G-E-O-R-G-I-A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #6821 by dawg1454
Replied by dawg1454 on topic Re:Punts
I agree oval the same way it seems like we never rush the kicker either which really bothers me bc special teams can win close games that and fat phil would not kick to us if he could get out of it at all i think if we had been rushing the kicker i think we could have caused a pouch kick poss into mikeys hands and atleast if he has the ball and theres not 11 orange jerseys already srounding him he just might be able to make some moves and get us on the board.my case and point was the vt clemson game and the fla lsu game. we pay such safe football that in a case like yesterday we didnt even give ourselves a chance to win. but frank beamers special teams won vt that game over clemson neither teams offense could do anthing. and yes i dislike him but les miles going for it on fouth down risking it all on one play 2 times even on one drive got the lsu crowd back in the game and the whole team started playing like they belived they could win that game. momentum would have been a big help agianst tenn a sc to because in those games i never saw a spark of life it was just hey were here what more do you want. another thing id like to see not alot of but occasionally is a trick play lsu did it on spec team agianst sc tenn did it agianst us clem did it agianst fla st and nc state (one for a touch down) and with our history of special teams i think that had we tried some like that in the tenn game yesterday and had i worked we might have somthing remotely good to say today.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dawg1454
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.026 seconds