Forum

Just as I suspected,....

16 years 7 months ago #6535 by NC_Dawg
Just as I suspected,.... was created by NC_Dawg
The local EweTee Media are beginning to hype Saturday's game as a pivotal point in PhatPhil's career, or lack thereof!....Make no mistake about it, the Dawgs better bring their \"A+\" game! If we can smack em' in the mouth early and often, they may fold ala the UF game. However, if we allow them to hang around and answer point for point, it could be a nailbiter!

Tuesday, 10/02/07

UT has 5 steps to climb in SEC East

By BRYAN MULLEN
Staff Writer

KNOXVILLE — The to-do list on Rocky Top is a long one. Now with the Southeastern Conference's Eastern Division race wide open, the Tennessee football team needs to get to work and improve in multiple areas if it wants to turn around its season.

The most important game in Coach Phillip Fulmer's tenure as the Vols' head coach comes Saturday, when Georgia comes to Neyland Stadium. The winner still has a legitimate shot at the division title, the loser will be playing for pride. Here are five ways for UT to surprise everyone and finish 2007 as one of the nation's best comeback stories:

Get more push from defensive line

One way to take the pressure off UT's up-and-down secondary is to pressure opposing quarterbacks. There's been little of that during key times this season. UT did not have a sack or a quarterback hurry at Florida, and had no sacks and only one quarterback hurry at Cal. And everyone knows how UT fared in those games. The Vols improved against Arkansas State, but need to prove they can do it vs. SEC foes.

Settle the secondary

For the first time this season, UT's secondary appears to be set. Freshman Eric Berry is getting comfortable at strong safety, and cornerback Marsalous Johnson has been quietly impressive. Working in prep school transfer Brent Vinson and juco transfer DeAngelo Willingham at the other cornerback spot adds athleticism and speed. But the staff needs to find some way to get All-SEC safety Jonathan Hefney motivated. It cannot wait any longer.

Wrap up

It was an odd sight, but last week during practice, Vols' defenders were performing tackling drills. And they spent plenty of time on it. UT has struggled in tackling this season, and more than a few times it has allowed big plays. Speed and strength certainly help, but sound fundamental technique is the best way to bring an opponent to the ground. Looks like UT is finally making that a point of emphasis.

Special teams need major improvement

The most glaring problem is punt return defense (UT has allowed two punts to be returned for touchdowns). But there are plenty of other major problems. The Vols are not booting the ball deep enough on kickoffs. Also, finding breakout returners has been slow. But there is good news. Britton Colquitt likely will return to kickoff duties this week, and LaMarcus Coker has shown big-play abilities on punt returns since returning from his suspension.

More playmakers on offense

\"Dynamic.\" It's one of Fulmer's favorite words. He uses it when discussing what types of players he's looking for on offense. With two weeks to prepare for Georgia, UT fans are hoping Fulmer has finally found one or two. The problem is those players are new to the program, and the coaching staff is hesitant to put them on the field. Look for receiver Kenny O'Neal to play more as the season wears on.

###########################

While the article best resembles a Sears Christmas Wish List,...yes, I realize I just dated myself, the points made about Philopotamus are spot on and indicative of a waining support system...and dangerous quagmire, indeed!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• NC_Dawg
  • NC_Dawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 7 months ago #6541 by DawgSpeare
Replied by DawgSpeare on topic Re:Just as I suspected,....
Quoth NC_Dawg who quoted UT news media:

The most important game in Coach Phillip Fulmer's tenure as the Vols' head coach comes Saturday, when Georgia comes to Neyland Stadium.

I find that very hard to believe, but it sounds good for motivational fodder. Dawgs have but one game left this season; only one: UT

More
16 years 7 months ago #6563 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Just as I suspected,....
The guy who wrote the article in the Tennssean was the only journalist in Nashville to predict the Dawgs win over Bama, a pretty fair guy,

More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds