Forum

Great game but concerned

16 years 7 months ago #6426 by wlayton
Great game but concerned was created by wlayton
T. Brown and Moreno were awesome and the offense really got it going, especially when they HAD to answer scores. BUT, I'm very concerned with our porous defense. Ole Miss cramed it down our throats for 2 and 2/3rd quarters. Running \"downhill\" like it was nothing and at one time had completed 16 of 19 passes....hey, this is OLE MISS for crying out loud !! The biggest thing to me was how EASY they moved the ball, geez, the 1st drive of the 2nd half was 18 plays for over 9 minutes !!! Unbelievable, should NOT happen. The D had better get tougher.

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 7 months ago #6432 by southernlover
Replied by southernlover on topic Re:Great game but concerned
And concerned you should be Wlayton, I had no illusions going into this game but listening to it on the radio sounded like Ole Miss was running through swiss cheese. Apparently they were able to continuously open up one particular hole in the D-line that they exploited over and over. Taking nothing away from our boys because they put 45 on the board, but needless to say we will need to impove fast getting into the meat of our schedule!

Up until last night I had been lulled into a false sense of security that Auburn was going to be an easy W this year after dropping their first two. But watching their defensive speed in The Swamp was pretty impressive. (Hated to see Quentin Groves get hurt) They soundly dominated Florida for the first 45 minutes or so, even receiving some bad calls along the way. It will be interesting to see how they rebound against LSU, followed after a week off by Kentucky.

More
16 years 7 months ago #6434 by HairyDawg1983
Replied by HairyDawg1983 on topic Re:Great game but concerned
Yes, they pretty much ran it down our throats, but when it counted, the Dawgs came up with stops. I would never be worried about our defense so long as coach Martinez is in charge. He doesn't blitz as much as I like, but he does come up with great game plans. The D is always prepared. Besides, its pretty easy to run it on someone when your O-line is close to 330 lbs on average and the D-line is only about 250. The important thing, and coach Erk Russel would be so proud, is that we stopped them when it mattered. Bend, but don't break.

• HairyDawg1983
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #6435 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Great game but concerned
I have never seen so much parity in the SEC. We have to take them one at a time, overlook nobody. There are no easy games anymore. I have some concerns about Tn., their backs are up against the wall and we HAVE to beat a team from the east. It's been way too long. Go Dawgs!

More
16 years 7 months ago #6437 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Great game but concerned
HairyDawg1983, I disagree with you on Coach Martinez. We have to either play for the interception or play for the blitz. All this prevent defense, standing around waiting for someone to catch the ball so I can tackle them BS has got to stop. As does the arm tackling.

What concerened me was the Ole Miss offensive line. THEY'RE HUGE!!! BenJarvis Green-Ellis may play for Ole Miss, but he's a fantastic back.

What made me extremely happy was this stat: only 144 yards passing offense. It's like CMR and CMB finally figured out what an incredible backfield we have, and ran down Ole Miss's throats. 180 yards for Brown and 90 for KnoMo? THAT's Georgia football.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 7 months ago #6444 by DawgSpeare
Replied by DawgSpeare on topic Re:Great game but concerned
Completely agree w/ Junkyard Dawg. No doubt there is some legitimacy to the \"bend-but-don't-break\" theory of defense. But it seems to me that that philosophy of defense invariably does break. It breaks when the opponent crosses the goal line. Our dawgs do appear to be talented and generally well-coached. I for one, ole man that I am, would like to see more bump & run and more defensive variation. More effort to confuse the offense, more blitzes, and more probability of eliminating long drives. Long drives are revelations of weakness.

More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds