Forum

Somebody give Bobo a raise...

16 years 8 months ago #5757 by dapolla
Somebody give Bobo a raise... was created by dapolla
...before Michigan hires him.

This was the most impressive performance I've seen by a Georgia offense since I've watched Georgia play football. This wasn't hanging 48 on Western Kentucky. And no, we didn't score the 48 points that I predicted (although our awesome defense held \"the greatest offense in the world\" to two touchdowns). Check out my top 8 things about this game.

1) Mike Bobo. We didn't torch OSU. But unlike under Callaway, or even Richt, the offense looked...dynamic. That's the only word I can use to describe how our O played. You couldn't predict from one series to the next what we were going to do. Would we run on first down? Would we pass? Would we run to set up the pass, or just shove Moreno down your throat? Oops! Looks like Thomas Brown's knee isn't bothering him too much. What's that? Is that Brannan Southerland, nicknamed by Scott Howard \"The Big Sledgehammer\"? Looks like we STILL have the best backfield in college football, Clemson be damned. You didn't see that kind of offense with David Greene at the helm, even though he won games and made plays when he had to...for the most part. This is seriously the most excited I've ever been about our offense.

2) OSU's offense. Look, they moved around on us. They ran on us, passed over the middle on us, and generally moved the chains. But we stopped them when we had to, and that's key for one particular game this year: against Florida. OSU isn't as good as Florida, obviously, but playing their offense was like playing a scout team Gator offense. I'm encouraged about our chances in Jacksonville this year.

3) Knowshon Freaking Moreno. Good god almighty. That kid can MOVE. And he's not just a cutter and juker and jiver, like some of your more flashy, Reggie-Bush-type backs that everyone's so enamored of. Knowshon was out there RUNNING OVER PEOPLE. I saw him breaking tackles and stiff-arming and smacking Pokes on their rears and all the blood in my body rushed to my head, then my chest, then my belly. I was sitting beside my grandfather, who started teaching at UGA in 1969 and so was obviously there for the notorious \"Herschel to the left, Herschel to the right, Herschel up the middle.\" I leaned over and said \"Knowshon to the left, Knowshon to the right, Knowshon up the middle.\" All he did was smile and nod. My grandfather doesn't smile at Georgia games. He knashes his teeth and scowls and worries and predicts doom. Thank you Knowshon. You made my Grampa smile.

4) Matthew Double-Freaking Stafford. We all knew he had talent. Now we know he's a by-god quarterback. This is a guy who can lead us into battle and isn't afraid to get dirty for the team. Did anybody, like me, yell \"Slide, you idiot!\" when Stafford took off for that 14-yard run? Then I remembered that Matthew is built out of brick and mortar and cussedness. That kid's gonna put one or two more flags on our center pole, the one that flies flags that say \"1942\" and \"1980.\" They did an interview with him after the game...the look in his eyes says he expects to win. He's a leader now.

5) The Bulldog No-Name Defense. Who in the hell are these guys, anyway? Does anyone know who anybody on the defense is? OSU sure didn't, and it cost them. Five sacks, even more tackles for loss, and an interception. Scary if you're playing us. They held OSU to 14. That's all you have to say about them. I'm still a little worried about Willie playing prevent defense (remember Tennessee last year?) but I think it'll shape up. And we'll know their names by the Tennessee game, anyway.

6) Sanford Stadium. Good almighty God. The last time it was that loud was against LSU in 2004, when we hung 45 on the defending national champs. It may have been louder. You see, for the LSU game, I was in the student section, fourth row. Of COURSE it's going to be loud. For OSU, I was in the old fogey faculty section. It was loud THERE. If it was intimidating before to come between the hedges and play, can you imagine how terrifying it must be when it's that loud? Spread the word, folks, let's keep the volume up. We caused quite a few delay of game penalties and false starts by the Cowboys. I'm fairly sure that, if we work on it, we can make Brandan Cox cry.

7) That Junkyard Dawg receiving corps. What a 180-degree-turn from last year, in terms of our frisbee-catching dogs! God God Almighty, did you see the pass that Michael Moore caught? Did you see the one Bruce Figgins caught? Did you know who Michael Moore and Bruce Figgins were before the game? And welcome back, Sean Bailey, you big hairy Dawg! No wonder DJ looked so good; Sean just goes up and gets 'em, doesn't he? And once Massaquoi gets into the groove and starts catching more than one pass per game -- it'll happen! -- do you realize how unstoppable we'll be? Stafford-to-Bailey. Stafford-to-Massaquoi. Knowshon to the left. Brown to the right. Southerland up the middle. Lumpkin out of the backfield. Stafford running the by-God VEER. And that's just our OFFENSE.

8) Nearly everything else about our game. Mikey Henderson, you big hairy Dawg, keep running 'em back like that. Thomas Brown, you big hairy Dawg, keep running 'em back like that. Brandon Coutu, you big hairy Dawg, keep that leg healthy; NASA might need you to boot the space shuttle into orbit. Brian Mimbs, you squib-kicking Dawg, who in the hell knew you could punt like that? Mohammed Massaquoi, you special-teams Dawg, who in the hell knew you could HIT like that? Did you see that little skinny kid squish the OSU punter? God Almighty.

I'm telling you. Don't say \"SEC this year, NC next year.\" We're better than most other teams in the top ten - let alone the rest of the country - right now. I'm not some ESPN idiot getting excited over USC beating Idaho by four or five scores. I'm not drooling over LSU, who beat Mississippi State 45-0. I'm talking about beating by-God Oklahoma State, holding their crazy barn-burner offense to 14 and sacking their QB five times.

I won't say THIS IS OUR YEAR, because that would imply that next year belongs to somebody else. I'm saying THESE ARE OUR YEARS. So you think 80-81-82-83 was our best run? I'm telling you...we're just getting started!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 8 months ago #5760 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Somebody give Bobo a raise...
Great post dapolla and I totally agree with you. Still a little early, still a little young, still a little inexperienced, still a few unknowns...BUT......MAN are we loaded with talent.........OH and SPEED KILLS. Fastest team UGA has ever had, not even close. There were a few times on defense when we were either out of position or faked out a little which should have resulted in a 15-20 yard gain but with our speed, they got 5, unbelievable speed !!

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 8 months ago #5761 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Somebody give Bobo a raise...
I loved the game, but I am gonna be cautiously optimistic before I claim the title, lol. The REAL season opens this week, with the beginning of the SEC East schedule. If we can dismantle So. Carolina like we did OSU, I will feel better about our chances to win more than 9 games and get to a mid-level bowl. Spurrier has already backed off his earlier statements about the Gamecocks and their chances of winning the SEC, and he is now beginning to poor mouth his boys just as he always does before they begin the SEC schedule. Listening to Spurrier, even I believe that the chickens aren't good enough to lace our shoes. Although OSU was an OK team with good but not great speed, they had a bad defense, and we will see much better on the defensive side of the ball with S.Carolina this week. OSU wouldn't be much more than a second-tier SEC team right now, T. Boone Pickens' contributions to the athletic dept. nonwithstanding.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #5773 by Getdown11
Replied by Getdown11 on topic Re:Somebody give Bobo a raise...
I agree we looked really good. I too though am hesitant about calling an SEC championship.

The defense played well for the most part. The 2 TDs we gave up were just plain good plays. The first TD was a well thrown pass between defenders and an excellent finger tip catch. The second TD the blocking was good and they caught us stone footed. At least, we made him pay for the trip to the endzone. Overall the D did a good job playing sideline to sideline and kept the spread option in check.

The offense was stellar. Stafford had a good game and our running game seems to have finally come around. Brown is a machine, and I knew Moreno was going to be a difference maker this year. We spread the ball around, blocking looked decent. We wore them out with the screens, and short passes. I dont know if that was the game plan but I would really like to see us open it up a little more and see what happens. I think toward the end of the game we let up on them just because we are classy like that. Easily, I think, we could have hung another TD on them if we wanted to.

Richt and the rest of the coaching staff get a pride sticker bone from me. Good game, excellent coaching. I hope the naysayers are loving the crow.

Go Dawgs!!!!

P.S.
Oh how much it must blow to be a Michigan fan this week.

Props to the kids from Boone N.C. for not only taking $400,000 but also for showing that the
Div I-AA champions aren't going to allow anybody to kick them around.

Go Dawgs!!!!

More
16 years 8 months ago #5776 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Somebody give Bobo a raise...
I have never seen so much youth and speed ever. The future is bright for the red and black.

More
16 years 8 months ago #5779 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Somebody give Bobo a raise...
It must hurt really bad to pay $400,000 to get your a$$ kicked.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds