Forum

UGA vs. Gators Game Recap WLOCP 10/28/1023

6 months 2 days ago - 6 months 2 days ago #83109 by stevedawg
Ah, y'all, I can feel it in the air; it's a cool autumn afternoon as the Dawgs square off against the Gators in what's sure to be another chapter in The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry. Get your sweet tea ready and put up your feet, because this one was a doozy.

1st Quarter:The Gators began the game with promise as Graham Mertz found Eugene Wilson III several times, including a beautiful 25-yard touchdown pass. You could hear a collective sigh from the Georgia fans - the Gators were up 7-0 after a successful Trey Smack kick.But the Dawgs didn't back down. They marched down the field, with Carson Beck connecting with his receivers left and right, including a significant completion to Dominic Lovett and Oscar Delp.
However, Florida's defense tightened up near the end zone, stopping them short. Peyton Woodring came out and made sure Georgia got points on the board with a 22-yard field goal. 7-3, Gators still in the lead.
The Gators tried to answer back, but a devastating sack by Jalon Walker led to a fumble, recovered by the Gators, but their drive was essentially shut down.Georgia took over, and it wasn't long before Carson Beck found Ladd McConkey on a deep pass, resulting in a 41-yard touchdown. The Dawgs took the lead, 10-7, after another successful kick by Peyton Woodring.

2nd Quarter:The Gators began with a bit of struggle; a quick three-and-out was followed by Georgia's Daijun Edwards showing off his running skills, darting for 11 yards and eventually finishing the drive with a 20-yard touchdown. Georgia extended its lead to 17-7.
Misery compounded for the Gators. Graham Mertz was sacked twice on their next possession, the latter leading to a fumble recovered by the Dawgs. The Georgia offense, smelling blood, quickly capitalized with Daijun Edwards diving into the end zone from 2 yards out. Georgia was now up 24-7.But the Bulldogs weren't done. Their defense stepped up big with Joenel Aguero blocking a punt, resulting in a safety. The scoreboard read 26-7 in favor of Georgia.The Dawgs tried to take advantage of the momentum, but the Gators' defense finally showed some resistance, forcing Georgia to punt.As the quarter wore on, both teams exchanged possessions without significant advancement. The Gators, struggling to find their groove, were repeatedly stopped by the ferocious Georgia defense. Punting became a familiar sight for the boys from the Sunshine State.The final minutes were more of a chess match, with both sides seemingly content to regroup and strategize for the second half.

2nd Half:
Trey Smack sent the ball sailing for 65 yards, and we watched it disappear into the end zone. UGA took their position, and Daijun Edwards did his little dance, managing a couple of yards, pushing his way up to the UGA 27.Then Carson Beck, with the weight of the Bulldog nation on his shoulders, found Ladd McConkey, who took the ball another 7 yards to the UGA 34. I could feel the anticipation in the crowd, the murmurs, the hope. And sure as sugar, Carson Beck ran that ball for another 3 yards, securing a fresh set of downs.

Now, the Dawgs seemed to be finding their rhythm, but the Gators weren't just about to roll over. Between Edwards' short runs and Beck's pass completions, including a beauty to Dominic Lovett that had us across halfway into Gator territory, you could feel something brewing.
However, as it tends to happen, the drive stalled at the FLA 42. Brett Thorson came out and punted, pushing the Gators back to their 6-yard line. Mertz and his Gator crew tried to shake things up, but the Dawgs defense was barking, and they couldn't find their way past the UGA 28.

But then, oh my stars, Carson Beck throws a beauty downfield to Dominic Lovett for 55 yards, taking us to the FLA 17. The stadium roared, I swear it could've shaken the heavens. A few short runs and a couple of missed opportunities later, Peyton Woodring stepped up and put the Dawgs on the board with a 32-yard field goal.

Florida took over, and boy, did they respond. With a series of plays, including a stunning run by Trevor Etienne and a string of completions by Mertz, they made their intentions clear. But when it mattered most, at the UGA doorstep, the Dawg defense stood tall, denying them a touchdown.
And then, as the sun started to set, the Dawgs marched back down the field. Beck found McConkey again for a stunning 54-yard completion, taking them deep into Gator territory. And after some back and forth, it was Dillon Bell, catching a pass from Beck and taking it to the house for a touchdown. The crowd roared; it was pure jubilation.

The Gators, though, never ones to back down, started the 4th with purpose. After a series of plays, including a crafty pass from Mertz to Pearsall that got lateraled to Eugene Wilson III, they found themselves knocking at UGA's door. A couple of plays later, Hayden Hansen was in the end zone, catching a Mertz pass.

The Dawgs then took over, with Kendall Milton leading the charge. A series of runs and a couple of impressive completions by Beck had the Dawgs deep in Gator territory. And sure enough, Kendall Milton took it home with a short run, taking the Dawgs further ahead.
But these Gators, let me tell you, they've got grit. They managed to march down the field, with Mertz leading the charge. After a series of passes and runs, it was Mertz himself who took the ball in for a touchdown.

With only a bit of time left, the Dawgs did what they had to do, running out the clock and ensuring victory.And as the sun set on this epic battle, I couldn't help but think about all the great games these teams have given us over the years. This one was right up there with the best of 'em. And as the last whistle blew, and the crowd erupted, I knew we'd all remember this one for years to come. Well, that's all from me, folks.

Hope y'all enjoyed the game as much as I did!

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
Time to create page: 0.022 seconds