Forum

Hi folks! Let me introduce myself

6 months 3 weeks ago #83064 by AirForceDawg
Hi folks! Let me introduce myself was created by AirForceDawg
In 1978 my dad received a new assignment to Moody Air Force Base in Valdosta, GA and brought my siblings and I there. One summer day I perused the local newspaper, 'The Valdosta Daily Times', and saw an article about former Valdosta HS quarterback Buck Belue. The former Wildcats star athlete was heading to UGA in August to play football and baseball for the Dawgs. When I was doing outside chores, I'd listen to the radio. One day I came across Larry Munson talking about UGA football and started listening to him because of the local connection. That fall I became hooked on the Dawgs and have been following them ever since.

After a stint as an enlisted member in the USAF, I enrolled at UGA in 1991. On 5 October I witnessed the Dawgs upset #6-ranked Clemson in Sanford Stadium. In that game, highly touted true freshman QB Eric Zeier (UGA's first mid-year [January] enrollee) came off the bench to lead UGA to a come-from-behind win over the Tigers, snapping the Tigers' three-game win streak in the series.

In April 1996, four months after graduating from UGA, I was browsing the internet for the first time and discovered 'The Dawgvent' website. I was amazed that there was an online group of passionate Dawg fans (some of them I still communicate with today) talking about UGA sports. That day I registered as "AirForceDawg" and have used that handle on various message boards (e.g., Dawg Run [RIP], Dawg Post, Hair of the Dawg, Talk'n Dawgs) for more than 27 years now.

In October 1996 I reentered the USAF via Officer Training School and received my commission in February 1997. Over the Fourth of July weekend in 1999 I created a UGA sports website called 'Dawg Treasures' and ran it for seven years. Sadly, I closed it since I had a newborn, toddler, spouse, a demanding 12-hour/day job, and had to complete Air Command and Staff College by correspondence in my spare time.

For the last 45+ years I've closely followed the Dawgs and bleed red and black. I'm not a lurker, but a contributor. Thanks to stevedawg for setting me up with an account here. Negaholics and snarky posters have driven me away from other sites. I look forward to being part of this group of mature Dawg fans.

AFD (UGA 1991-'95)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• AirForceDawg
  • AirForceDawg's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #83065 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Hi folks! Let me introduce myself
Huge Dawgs.com welcome to AFD...   Enjoyed reading about how you came to be a Dawg.  I to followed a winding road to become a member of the Dawg Nation.  

Relocated to  Athens late 2002 after living in Chattanooga for 26 years as a transplanted Yankee from upstate NY. 

Myself and a large number of Big Orange fans became really disgruntled over how both Johnny Majors and Phat Phil were treated....  Spent many afternoons the winter of "03" walking the campus learning about UGA. 

One January Saturday morning...  I clearly remember standing on the bridge under the scoreboard looking into Sanford  telling myself...  it's time to learn to call the Dawgs... Not a day goes by I don't thank God for setting me down in Athens.  AFD.. looking forward to reading your thoughts and opinions about our football team...

Again ....Welcome....

stay well .... and "Go Dawgs ".  YD1

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, AirForceDawg

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #83067 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Hi folks! Let me introduce myself
Welcome aboard AFD, it is such a pleasure to see that there are DGDs out there that we can welcome to be here.  I personally think that being a DAWG is something that is destined for those of us that are lucky enough to have ended up where we are, and have  the absolute best College Football Team at our back door to support and tailgate with on Game Day, or everyday for that matter.  That all being said Welcome to the real home of the Dawgs.  Looking forward to your posts.

GO DAWGS!!!!!  GATA!!!!!

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, AirForceDawg

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds