Forum

From Athens- Frozen Randomness

2 years 3 months ago #82423 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Frozen Randomness was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Mike Bono… agree .. recruiting… working with QB’s … question… When Kirby was looking for a OC.. Before hiring Todd..to my knowledge never reached out to Bobo… after he was let go from CSU …. Don’t believe Kirby would take a step backwards with Mike as OC…

My dollar bet … Kirby has a list in his mind who would be a replacement for any assistants coaches who leave …next man up..

Having proven his process wins….takes recruiting both players and coaches … to a higher level…

SD…. Wind chill at 18. … staying close to fireplace and coffee pot…

Yes I did … watched the Natty again last night …. Came away with… even with the play being overturned… the scoop and touchdown by us was huge… Young felt intense pressure… a pass rush that was absent in the SECCG.. He had to think about it every snap… hmmm…

Late third and all of the fourth …. Unlike our previous games with the Tide… it was them. Who wilted…. No fourth quarter
Collapse….to a Alabama back up QB….

Great time to be a Bulldog…

Time to wrap up signing the 2022 class on Wednesday.. Spring ball approaching at warp speed..

Pause and give thanks….. continue to check on family and friends often…

Have a great weekend and a safe week…

As always Go Dawgs……

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 years 3 months ago #82424 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Frozen Randomness
Happy Saturday YD,

4 here this morning. Got the lower tail of that monster walloping NE right now. Just got done shoveling & salting the driveway. Lots of fun. Now headed to unclog a bathtub drain & replace a tub spout. Remember when Saturdays were filled with college football and these home projects could slide? ;-)

I think we have Monken for 1 more year and then he bolts for a HC gig or goes back to the League. I always viewed his hire as a transitional one for him. Never saw him as a long term fixture in Athens. I wish he would stay but I know how it goes for big name OCs on top of the world.

Just got a text from a friend of mine back home that Saban arrived by helicopter to Lake Gibson High School in my home town to meet a recruit - only to bump into Billy Napier doing the same exact thing at the same exact time. That would have been a fun encounter to witness.

Big signing day upcoming. Lots of surprises I'll bet. Look for UGA to land an eye popper or two.

Pit Boss is fired up getting ready to put a pork butt on for an overnight cook.

Life is good. Much better than we deserve.

GO DAWGS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
2 years 3 months ago #82425 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Frozen Randomness
SD ….. just have a feeling from Todd,’s body language he is happier
Coaching college players…

He and his family love living in Athens…. All the coaches will get
A nice pay increase … he might take a HC job at the right school…

Nothing is permanent..except change… be shocked if our HC couldn’t find a more talented OC than Bobo…

I am glad all your projects are inside..

Enjoy your pig …. Low and slow…

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #82426 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Frozen Randomness
Just looked up Todd on the googler. Just like about every football assistant coach. Those guys don’t stay anywhere long. Two or three years are his norm. If it’s going good, you get a better job. Going real good and you get the head coach job with the four year college contract. It’s free money if you fail, more guaranteed if you succeed these days. That’s coming his way, I’d say. He was in the real league just a few years. College is an easier gig.

If it’s going bad, you get fired, That’s mike bobo. Then you rebound. Bobo gets the uga OC job it will be the same…bad you get fired again. Good, hello Nashville, 5 mil salary, I love the potential of vandy…etc.

I’m not a fan of the NIL stuff going on. But in a way I’m looking forward to seeing what comes from it. Will university boosters start dumping money into nil stuff instead of the current “players”. Would be funny as heck to me to see the coaches salaries start dropping. It happened to nascar, could happen here. Stay tuned.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #82427 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Frozen Randomness
ahoy scoob...

I don't agree with college being an easier gig. There's a reason why Kirby made mention of this in his post-NC interview with Rece Davis where he highlighted the startling exodus of very qualified college coaches going to the league because it takes far less toll on the man and his family. Elite college football isn't for the faint of heart. It takes a massive toll on a coach personally and professionally. These guys are CEOs of multi-million dollar if not billion dollar enterprises. Between recruiting, community activities, personnel management, public relations, academic oversight, mentoring, developing and maintaining an elite & stable coaching staff, spring camp, summer prep and then the season - it's a never ending cycle. You don't have that insane merry go round to worry about in the league.

I think you're right about NIL. I'm not a fan of it either, and oddly enough, the NCAA in its usual incompetency is allowing a free for all with little-to-no regulations on this right now. It will be interesting to see if self-policing and independent management of NIL yields a stable system, or if it gets so far out of control that the NCAA moves in to regulate. I'm betting on the latter.

I fear you're right about Bobo. Hope Monken stays. He seems happy at UGA. He turned down a massive pay raise at A&M last month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, scooby

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #82428 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Frozen Randomness
Ncaa football coaching is a demanding job, no doubt.

It’s a weird business. At a big successful university you have a ton of money coming in just for winning games. Want to win you got to recruit like crazy and I think that’s the biggest stresser on the coaches.

At a dinky place like my alma mater you are bleeding money but have to pay dearly for the coaches…because if those guys leave we will really be a hurt-in, lol.

As college football has become more elite, I have become a bigger nfl fan. I just like the draft better than recruiting. Heck, I wish the worst team got the first two picks in the first round, and the Super Bowl winner got the last two in second round, etc. just something right about the worst team getting the best players next year. With college football the rich just keep getting richer. New nil rules make this even more so. I realize this is a uga forum, so I understand how the rich getting richer is not a bad thingy for you guys.

I’d like to see the number of scholarships allowed reduced. What is it now maybe 85 players per team? Reduce that to 70 and it would spread the talent out. I believe this would be beneficial to the overall system.

I’d also like to see a “cap” on public university athletic coach salaries. I’d say 500k max. Heck, the only reason there is a team is it’s a big fat public institution. When a university makes enough on football to say no thanks to the state money, open the bank for the coach.

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds