Forum

Final Eight, Not Final Four

8 years 8 months ago #68634 by Buc
Final Eight, Not Final Four was created by Buc
Believe at the end of the 2015 Regular Season, there will be a lot of conferences that will have much to say.

Appears that the SEC will get one team in the Final Four. Regardless of the SEC's overall talent level, it will not make a difference to the selection committee.

College football has grown with the addition of a Final Four Team playoff system. There will be a drop off in just exactly what the bowl games mean when the dust clears and nothing to be talked about, other than the Final Four playoffs and the winner of same.

I believe after the 2015 Season there is going to be a lot of “loud talk” coming from not only the SEC, the other conferences as well. Most are going to want to expand the playoff numbers from four to eight. I believe it will actually take some of the pressure off of the selection committee. Once the committee gets past the first four, the second four will be for the most part, head and shoulders above some of the lesser teams throughout college football. Believe that to be true when I look at the Final Four pairings last season, and the teams that did not get invited.

B1G seems to be moving forward. They have the National Championship trophy in Columbus, Ohio now. Not a doubt in my mind that Penn State is on the rise. Cannot overlook Michigan at this point with the coaching change. Michigan State has one of the best college coaches, period.

ACC has proven that they can and do play serious college football.

More talented (Star Rated) high school players come from the State of California, has been that way for many years. Could see two teams from the West Coast being in a Final Eight.

Big Twelve has an enormous amount of talent.

College football ratings can and will rise with the addition of four more teams in the playoffs. More advertising dollars for the “Football Factories”. Could see college football playoffs becoming as good or better than the NFL with TV ratings in the United States. TV ratings are understood by Disney, they will make sure the college playoffs reach new heights, such as is enjoyed by the NFL now. Never underestimate Mickey and Minnie.

Introduction of the SEC Network proves the point that the “dollars” will be available to all “Football Factories” with the right leadership. ESPN will be all over a eight team playoff. Fact.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 8 months ago #68635 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Final Eight, Not Final Four
Hey Buc, I started a thread back in the spring suggesting 20 or 12 teams.

Why not? I think it would be a lot better and add excitement to the bowl games for the teams in the top 20. It would spread the games out more like the nfl playoffs instead of having all the games right around new years day.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #68636 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Final Eight, Not Final Four
scooby, lot of talk now about paying the players . . . . Inevitable.

My thoughts on the expansion of the Finals should be handled in such a way as to keep the top talent involved.

If #1 faces of with #12 or #20, chances are that the game will not hold a lot of interest (overall). There is always a chance that #12 or #20 could upset a top ranked team, but the Vegas money managers would not support that.

If it is an eight team playoff, believe the interest would sky rocket. Chances are that #8 facing off with #1 would create more interest, and fan interest leads to the "bottom line". ;)

I am one of those that does not like "Football Factories" warming up with what some call games, others like myself call them an extension of "practice scrimmage". In some cases the "practice scrimmage" between rated teams in the top 20/25 does not equal to lining up the #1 team with the #2 team, both playing for the same university.

Could see 12 teams, past that it would hurt college football . . . . I think.

This old fart believes the magic number is "8".

That of course would require "new contracts" between college universities and the carrier(s) on television. Could very well mean more money and exposure as more "Networks" would be involved with the new contracts. Competition between "Networks" would work in favor of the Golden Goose on most campuses . . . . College Football.

Anytime that money is flashed, college leaders find a way to get their share. Meaning, scheduling is not a major problem.

Going to take college football and add another step, called "professional", paying the players, college presidents almost every one of them will "take care of the details".

College football is much different than most of us have witnessed in the not too distant past. At this point, college football is for the most part, or a large part a training ground for the NFL. My opinion.

One thing that I keep in mind is Roquan Smith and the way his coming to Georgia happened. There is more to that than is being discussed at this point. Mahogany Row at every D1 university is aware that big time changes are just around the corner. College football continues to change. Again, my thoughts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 8 months ago #68637 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Final Eight, Not Final Four
Folks, sorry to report that one of our own, my Brother Steve was put in hospice today. He has fought very hard, if only I were as brave as he. Thanks for your prayers for a DGD.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
8 years 8 months ago #68638 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Final Eight, Not Final Four
God Bless Steve. Thank you Chief.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 8 months ago #68639 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Final Eight, Not Final Four
Thanks Buc, my family and I appreciate your kindness.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds