Forum

Something To Think About

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #68462 by Buc
Something To Think About was created by Buc
Seems to me that the 2015 Season is going to answer a lot questions and produce a lot of answers.

Whether we are for or against Mark Richt, referring to his coaching abilities, leaving everything else out.

From the beginning of Mark Richt's coaching days in Athens he was an unknown "head coach". Richt was known as a very good offensive coordinator. Proved to be that when he was promoted to offensive coordinator at FSU.

Came to Georgia and he did so not being sure it was the right thing for him to do. Group recruiting Richt from Georgia convinced him it was the right thing to do. First year as the head coach had a so-so year for a first time leader. After that Richt's stock started to rise and rise quickly. All was well up until somewhere around 2006/2007, there were "some" that were starting to question Richt's ability to lead, both players and assistant coaches.

It has often been referred to here as the time spent after 2007 was like riding on a "roller coaster". Both player and coaches were showing signs of something not quite right. Some of the fan base picked up on what appeared to be a lack of something. Something had gone wrong, appeared the roller coaster had left the tracks.

Coaches hired, coaches released.

Fast forward to 2015 Season.

Mark Richt has a serious amount of talent in Athens, both veteran and rookie. Head coach has hired new coaches and the results of those hirings will play out this season. The things that have been going wrong have to be corrected this year. Public Relations and much of the media have really been beating the drums for this season. That happens most years, but there is something about moving forward in 2015 that not only needs to be done, it has to happen.

Many of us are pro Pruitt/Rocker and Company. In agreement with ogredawg and others, 2015 is not a time for excuses. Not a player on the defense that has not said or at least is in agreement with them being in tune with the way the defense under Pruitt should/will run. We will see, don't see talent as a big issue.

If the defense is going to be "that good" then the offense should have a great year. My opinion, the necessary parts are there, in abundance. Yes there are some very good offensive linemen that are as good or close to as good as the starters. There is depth on the offensive line. Comes down again to a new hire, Rob Sale has a lot to work with. Schottenheimer gets his turn at D1 college football. One thing Brian will like . . . . the players listen, don't have the big bucks in their pockets, makes a difference. Example of that . . . . Nick Saban at Miami. I know.

Will stop on this for now, have more to rattle on about, and will.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl, sflanagan21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 9 months ago #68464 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Something To Think About

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
8 years 9 months ago #68467 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic Something To Think About
This is certainly the year for answers at UGA Buc. We've heard and seen the same "ole song and dance" for at least the past 8 years with CMR and it's getting very old. I respect everything the man stands for as far as I can see but it's time for some results that end in SHIPS!

I said several years ago that I felt like we would never win a NC with CMR as our HC and that statement was meant almost merely off of the lack of intensity that he has as a leader. As athletes we all feed off of our leader and very seldom do you ever see much emotion from CMR. I'm not saying you have to bring it like the OBC to win it all but there are times when as a HC you need to show some "FIRE" in order to get that last ounce of fight from your players.

Fast forward to 2015 the year of "answers". My Dad always told me to "be careful what you wish for". I have never been a Bobo fan so I was glad to see him move on and also happy for him. I've placed a lot of blame on Bobo over the years and some he deserved as it was obvious that he made a bad call or calls and some was just me not liking him as an OC. The fact is he has had more talent on his side of the ball since he took over as OC in 07' than most OC's can even dream of having. I would say he did okay with his talent but I do believe that he could have done way better.

Will Shottenheimer be any better? "Be careful what you wish for" keeps going through my head because I've been wishing for another OC for the past 5 years and now we have one. At first I was asking why Shottenheimer he hasn't done anything in the NFL. After digging a little deeper into his career you can make arguments for and against him. The pro's to having Shotty as our OC is for one his pedigree speaks for itself and enough said there, two he has NFL experience which I believe right away gets the attention and respect of his players and three he is stepping into VERY familiar territory as far as the style of offense CMR runs. So as far as the pro's go we at the least got an even trade at OC and that alone should out way the con's right?

I'm a BIG Pruitt fan and I have put all of my faith into him and our D to dominate and win us the big games this year. We have a lot of hungry talent, speed and depth on that side of the ball and if everything comes together like it looks like it is then the D will get us those big stops that win the big games. As much as I have put the blame on Bobo in the past there is no way I can deny how bad our D's have been over the past what 10 years??? Honestly we haven't put together a solid D since the Erk days, yea Van Gorder was a good DC but giving up 34 to LSU in the 03' SEC ship still hurts. I think Erk was a genius to say the least and I see some of Erk in Pruitt or at least I want to haha. My point is that Pruitt has a track record for producing some good players and some BIG wins wherever he goes. Right now today he has every player on his side of the ball believing they are going to win it all and believing is over half of the battle in sports.

I've never been the one to say this is our year to win it all. Yea every year I go into the season very optimistic just like most college football fans do about their team. But I also look at our weak points every year and i think that may be why we don't win it all right there. I pointed to Mason and our secondary last year. 2013 I pointed to our D in general. 2012 was the last year I was this optimistic and I still had doubt that our D could win the big games for us. I won't go back any further because that's it starts to get to painful.

Sorry for the rambling fellows and I will end it with this. I've been referring to this year as the year that all the pieces come together. Just like every other hard core Dawg fan I am too sick and tired of the excuses. Way too much talent has passed through our field house over the years to not win a NC and I blame it mostly on the coaches we have had. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here but I really believe that from below CMR down our staff could NOT be any better right now. And with all of that depth and talent on our rooster there are NO excuses this year. I will not accept that not having a proving QB will stop us this year as I keep hearing some say. Flipping OSU won it all with a 3rd string QB so NO excuses.

GO DAWGS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 9 months ago #68472 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Something To Think About
Buc it looks great own paper maybe MR will just walk the side lines and let the OC an DC coach.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, growl

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 9 months ago #68474 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Something To Think About
DWS, if it was Christmas, I would hang a stocking over my fireplace for you.

I am not the only person on this board or other sites that know from past performances by MR . . . . your advice is "spot on".

Your post is not ugly, it is based on too many decisions that . . . . allow me this . . . . washed away a week of players practicing their butts off to lose another game by MR.

For all the mistakes both our offensive and defensive players made . . . . the crucial mistake was made by MR.

Good post DWS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawg With Style

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 9 months ago #68483 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Something To Think About
Some Things Will Nevah' Change !!!!

Just sayin'........

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!