Forum

Monday Thoughts, Coach Will Friend's Contribution

9 years 2 months ago #66917 by Buc
Going back to Coach Will Friend's beginning in Athens.

A large portion of the "so called Dawg Nation” was all over Will Friend being hired as our offensive line coach. As far as I know, the single best "hire" that can be attributed to Mark Richt.

Coaching changes are never totally or even close to being understood until they have some time with the players, both on and off the field. Will Friend did both and took some heat from the beginning. Wrong coach they said. Wonder what that "portion" of the Dawg Nation has to say about Will Friend at this point. I can speak to that . . . . they come up for their 15 minutes of fame, never to be heard from again.

On this board there were some folks that believed from the get go that Will Friend would be the answer to a problem that had existed for many years. One of those that spoke in the affirmative was AllDawgs5. Having played running back in college he understood the move, and hire, and he was right.

Many at this point see a coaching staff in Athens that is adding a lot of young coaches from the State of Alabama. If we get down to brass tacks, Coach Will Friend opened the gates to the change we see on the defensive side of the ball. Getting past that at this time, Coach Friend made believers out of young men that were “overlooked” for far too long by the lack of leadership in the Classic City.

Enjoy reading comments now from many of those that think some of us have probably forgotten what was said in the past. They got on the bandwagon for sure, and knew all along that Coach Will Friend was the right man for the job. Right?

Now Rob Sales can go full tilt on what Coach Will Friend left behind to take the offensive coordinator's position at Colorado State University.

Don't see a lot of AllDawgs5 these days, busy man. Bet this, he and I both like the hire. While I can't speak for AD5, can guess. What is wrong with change? I say the best thing that has happened to Georgia football in the recent past was a boost from a man that played and coached under the system employed in Tuscaloosa. Huge change in Athens, from where I sit.

Thanks you Coach Will Friend.

Continue the good work Rob Sales.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66918 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Monday Thoughts, Coach Will Friend's Contribution
I held my thoughts on CWF mostly until last season. What struck me was his work ethic.

No coach speak, no blowing his own horn. Head down and grind move the pile. Players

Bought in. He was focused on results and improvement. Don't see CRS going backwards.

As you say Buc...CWF. did coach'm up. Thanks for setting the bar....Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66919 by Buc
I do have this habit of writing names down and saving some of their posts when changes are made in Athens.

Also come back on occasion when board traffic is slow and read through different happenings at the time. That applies to myself also.

Interesting to read some of the opinions . . . . both before and after.

I liked offensive line coach Stacy Searels. Many thought he was the problem. Searels was handcuffed during his time with Georgia. Great offensive line coach, no backing from those higher up. Main reason Searels left was for that reason.

Lifted from the internet, below in italic.

Searels arrived at Georgia in January 2007, after serving four years coaching the offensive line at LSU from 2003-06. During that time, the Tigers won a National Championship (2003), a SEC Championship (2003), and two SEC West titles (2003 and 2005), while compiling a 44-8 record

In his first season at Georgia, as in 2008, Searels was faced with starting three freshmen, one of whom was Boling, whom he helped tutor into Freshman All-America honors in 2007. He also guided C Fernando Velasco into becoming a second-team All-SEC selection. Behind that line, Moreno earned first-team All-SEC honors and the Bulldogs completed an 11-2 campaign that ended in a Sugar Bowl win over Hawaii and a final ranking of No. 2/3. The offense averaged 177.2 rushing yards per game, while ranking 34th in the nation in scoring offense (32.6 ppg) and 13th in fewest sacks allowed (15).

Here is hoping that some very important lessons have been learned by those running the show in Athens. Rob Sales is not faced with the same "stuff" that Stacy Searels faced for sure.

Not always about the running backs, and quarterbacks do not seem to do well when not protected. Way I see it.

Keep hearing media chatter about the "strong armed quarterbacks". Good enough. Ever get the chance to ask AM who his real friends were while in Athens, bet you already know the answer. Those were the players that he had meet him in the ice cream parlor after games. Bright young man that AM, brighter than some above him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66920 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Monday Thoughts, Coach Will Friend's Contribution
Thanks for digging into the vault and pulling up that flashback

AM was/ is a very special person one who touched many lives both on and off field

Heads keep talking about who is going to be our QB. I want to find us a center who can

Be a leader on the OL. Has to follow jones and andrews...

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66921 by Buc
yd1, you said in italic, and Brother, I agree. Precedent has been set with both centers that you mention. Jones has since been moved to the guard position for Houston in the NFL.

Heads keep talking about who is going to be our QB. I want to find us a center who can

Be a leader on the OL. Has to follow jones and andrews...

Believe that too many look past the "serious work" that the offensive line does almost every game.

Offensive line is one area that Nick Saban recognized, not only in Tuscaloosa, way before that.

Did not mean that you did not have your eyes on the offensive line earlier. Do have posts showing just how much you were involved in those "offensive line conversations".

Wonder sometimes if the running back posters understand what it takes to move the football forward 4 yards. Many of those posters might want to take a closer look at where NFL clubs are choosing their players in the draft. Comes with understanding the game. I suppose.

Todd Gurley is a great running back, at this time I don't see Gurley going in the top 10. If well he will be a "blockbuster" of a back for some NFL team. That is nothing more than the simple truth.

If Herschel Walker had not been a "political football" . . . . played for a coach and team that "understood" his talent, no doubt we would see his name many more places in the record books than we do at this time.

College and NFL football is a "business". Hard for many to understand that. Some of us have been around "long enough" to know that our eyes do not "deceive us".

Figure you and I can have a "chat" seems others like to read. Lots to discuss, guess others are not "retired" as has been suggested by some on this board and others.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66922 by yankeedawg1
Traffic will start to pickup as we get closer to spring game

Enjoy hearing your thoughts as. Always.

Go Dawgs!

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds