Forum

A Running Start

9 years 2 months ago #66890 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A Running Start
ogredawg, on base with your last post for sure.

One thing that I believe I see unraveling before our eyes under Pruitt . . . . Quick and fast, I like and agree with. Also believe that Pruitt got his feet wet in his first year as a defensive coordinator in the SEC.

Pruitt is moving in the direction of "big" in the middle and actually along the front "3". ogredawg, one of the reasons that I approve of CJP, he is willing to do it a different way if it works. Pruitt loves football. First step in becoming a successful coach.

Also, agree with you about quarterback (I think). If we get good or above average play at the quarterback position, can make some of Pruitt/Rocker and Company's decisions much, much easier.

I use Pruitt/Rocker and Company a lot for this reason . . . . There is more to our defense than Pruitt alone. I have great faith in having Tracy Rocker in Athens. There are going to be SEC schools and others after him in the near future. One thing Tracy Rocker is selling is his ability to help those "qualified" a chance to play in the NFL. Rocker is going to be another case of whether or not we (UGA) want to match offers that I am sure he is going to get in the very near future.

Simple statement on Coach Tracy Rocker . . . . BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66891 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic A Running Start
Our D line is going to be another big question mark. Played "good" most of last season, but did not see any All-American play from our young men. If our two newbies on the line prove to be a dynamic duo on the inside, I think our D will be fine. Linebackers have too much talent not to be good. And if last year's secondary played that well, I can't wait to see what CJP does with talent.

I did not think the D were that bad against Tech, although they could have been better. I think that game had more to do with a sloppy O. And then GT did worse to MSU, and they had a stout SEC defense last year.

I think CJP has the D under control, and I think we will see a step up this year. If not, we're in trouble, because I don't think our running game can bulldoze everyone. I agree that CMR is on the hot seat for QB play, but I'm hoping CBS can step in and make the O multi-dimensional, and let the head coach "manage" the press, Mahogany Row, and recruiting.

Lots of question marks, but overall, I think there is a lot of upside to the coming year. We will certainly know what we have by the end of October. Key game is obviously 'bama. Hopefully, our coaches will light a fire and inspire the young pups to reverse the disaster of 2007. 'Bama won that one because they came in pumped up and mean. UGA came in lackadaisically and got blown out in the first half. Actually played a respectable game in the second half, but I want to see us with that intensity this time around. Get pumped, get ready, and get mean.

Already wishing Sept would get here!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66892 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A Running Start
rockdawg, good "stuff".

Rob Sales is also coming into a good situation in my opinion.

Appears that somewhere along the line the "light" came on, understanding that a good offensive line has as much to do with a win as any position(s) on the field.

Sales hit the ground running, just like Pruitt and his group did.

Lots of folks that "think" they know football, speaking more to the fans reactions, can't seem to get a grip on the fact that Nick Saban disciples have a very strong work ethic.

For damn sure that has been needed in Athens, after 2007 don't have a lot to brag about.

Totally agree with this statement you made above . . . . I agree that CMR is on the hot seat for QB play, but I'm hoping CBS can step in and make the O multi-dimensional, and let the head coach "manage" the press, Mahogany Row, and recruiting.

Mark Richt fully intends to remain head coach at UGA until he retires on his own, or is asked to retire. The way you described his duties above, perfect. Seems that is what is happening in Athens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds