Forum

A Running Start

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66875 by Buc
A Running Start was created by Buc
First time in many years that I have felt we are off on the right foot.

The old game played in Athens, "mix and match" appears to have fallen by the wayside.

This I know . . . . Jeremy Pruitt and his group "run" the defense. Hear some head coach speak about doing this and that on the defense, however he is only passing along what the defensive coaches have told him. Mark Richt is not a defensive coach. Check the past history.

See where some are saying 9/10 win season in 2015. Can't argue with those numbers. Why should I? Why should anyone? Alabama, Southern California, Florida State, Tennessee and LSU are rated higher than Georgia in the recruiting wars of 2015. Alabama and Tennesse are on our 2015 schedule. Alabama at home and Tennessee the following week in Knoxville.

Reason that I partially reversed field in the previous paragraph . . . . do not know what will happen at the quarterback position. rockdawg mentioned that Ramsey looked shaky in his time calling plays. Below is a paragraph that rockdawg posted and in my mind, spot on.

Back to the top. New hire Thomas Brown. Excites me, see it goes like this . . . . I have some "history" with Thomas Brown. Great guy, all business. Don't need to wait and see with Thomas Brown, did that years ago.

Another thought. Bryan McClendon taking over as receivers coach. Can only imagine how effective he will be on the recruiting trail. I do know that there are some outstanding high school receivers in South Florida. I also know that Bryan McClendon is "rock solid" in South Florida.

Building depth that has been discussed on this board for a looooong time, on both sides of the ball.

Take care of the media Mark Richt, you do a fine job there, usually.

rockdawg said . . . . Had hopes for Ramsey, but saw too much of the "deer in the headlights" in the bowl game. Maybe he had a bad day, but to be a successful D1 QB, you have to have a mind that sees situations and tells your body what to do in fractions of a second. You also have to have the intangibles that make you a winner, not just good at racking up stats. As we saw last year, a bad play or a bad game can make the difference in the season. I just have not seen either yet from Ramsey. Hope we do. Or hope Park is the guy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66876 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A Running Start

Attachment sanford-stadium-sky-club-georgia-bulldog-club.jpg not found

Attachment sanford-stadium-sky-club-georgia-bulldog-club.jpg not found

Question.

You folks think that there has been a "dramatic change" in football operations in the Classic City?

That is meant to be a "gut felt" question.

Many of you read and post here . . . . Is "dramatic change" going a bit too far?

In the 14 going on 15 years under Mark Richt, maybe I should ask the question this way . . . . Do you feel that the changes made in the past year or so have had a "positive change" in the Classic City?

Understand the chatter about needing a head coach, not in disagreement with you. What about the rest of the "things" going on in Athens?

Do any of you like seeing McGarity being questioned?

What about the changes that require dollars to improve Sanford Stadium, such as . . . . the photo above borrowed from Bill King at AJC.

McGarity and the Mahogany Row Group watch the games from the photo shown above.

For those that have not seen the numbers . . . . $3 million to refurbish Sanford Stadium’s Sky Club while spending $705k to upgrade stadium concessions. Never mind those so-called rest rooms that most of the 90 something thousand fans use. Big donors get "big rewards".
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66877 by DAWGtm
Replied by DAWGtm on topic A Running Start
Buc,
There has been change in how football is being approached in the Classic City. To the good I believe so, dramatic we will see when we tee off in the fall. Do believe there was a pee peeing contest after the BB and we now know who has the biggest stream and it's not Scrooge mcduck. This year to me is setting up just like a all in hand in poker all the chips are on the table. This time of year I do like the cool-aid. I know it's bad for me I just can't help it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66878 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A Running Start
DAWGtm, one thing I can appreciate and join with you on the Kool-Aid sipping . . . . I have a much better feel about "change" in Athens.

Not for a second do I believe that Pruitt, Rocker or Thomas Brown will do anything but move our program forward. Different mind set than I have seen in more years than I need count.

This group reminds me so much of reading the AJC back in the day of Jesse Outlar, Furman Bisher and TV5 Atlanta Sports Director Ed Thilenius.

I lost touch with the folks in Athens when Erk left. Then I watched the "aftermath" of the days when VD left. Never cared that much for VD, especially in his latter years, but those that were hand picked that followed him, a sad time in Georgia Football, all over again.

Have seen some of the same mistakes being made in the past 14 years, but . . . .

There is "new blood" in Athens now. I sincerely hope that those in coaching positions now do not get beaten down by the likes of those that have had that yoke around their necks for far too long.

Will say this . . . . going to hold Mark Richt's feet to the fire when it comes to our starting quarterback in 2015. That is his claim to coaching prominence. Our head coach was given a substantial raise this year, good old boy won't get it if the quarterback position fails us.

I feel that we have a very good chance in "most games". Much as I hate to say it . . . . urban "liar" meyer's team beat Alabama. Alabama also had a relative "newbie" as the quarterback coach in that game. Yes, myself along with others have our eyes wide open, watching the quarterback position closely. As Wartdawg would say, No Excuses.

A well called offensive game, makes Pruitt's defense look like the best we have seen in a while.

Always glad to see you posting, know that we think alike in many threads that I have read on this board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66879 by DAWGtm
Replied by DAWGtm on topic A Running Start
I also hope that the new blood has taught the old dog that competition is more than a word its a attitude. You want to see players excell show them that their hard work means something don't just give somebody a starting spot just for time in grade make them earn it. Don't meen this a a knock on HM because I do belive he gave his all but if he was the best QB we had on scholarship last year we are in deep do do this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66880 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic A Running Start
No Kool aid for this old dawg. Faces and coaches change but we are still 2nd tier

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

More
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds