Forum

NFL, Disney, M&M, ESPN, College Football

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #66523 by Buc
Steve hoping to keep this topic alive and well. Going to require some reading and folks expressing different feelings.

Folks remember a while back when it was said on this board that Disney does not play to lose. Remember it was said that not too far down the road that ESPN would be wanting concessions from college football? Remember it being said here that a "contract" with the SEC was a must? Remember it was also said that there would be a confrontation between the NFL and the SEC?

The first shots have been fired, now we see just how far M&M can push those in charge of college football.

Disney and companies associated with them are all about the "clicks", the money and much more. Many of the marketing companies have a lot at stake in this situation.

If the College Football Elite (bosses) stick to their word, it basically says the NFL can lump it, but guess what . . . . the NFL Commissioner has been lobbying the College Elite for several months, trying to get the schedule to suit the likes of Roger Goodell, National Football League, Commissioner. Same Roger Goodell that works for the owners of the NFL Franchises.

All about the money. Nothing changes, this setup with the College Football Elite would force ESPN, Disney, M&M to come out of "their pockets" if nothing changes. They have to make up the difference when the "clicks" don't reach a guaranteed number.

Goodell made 45 million as NFL Commissioner last season. Can only imagine how much ESPN would have to cough up.

Said several times that there will be more, and there will be. Lots of branches on this particular tree.

www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issu...Attractions/CFP.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 months ago #66524 by Buc
Looking around at other sites, this has not been mentioned. Tomorrow, many of the sites will light up like Christmas trees. Another first for Dawgs.com.

I pay particular attention to "time lines".

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 months ago #66525 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic NFL, Disney, M&M, ESPN, College Football
Going to be a major fur ball. CFB says it will stay with the dates and there is only

A problem every 12 years well sunshine it a test of power in year 2

Remember it is entertainment. Going to be fun seeing how this gets spun

I am glad to be sitting this blizzard out. Not missing it at all

Been there done that I hold a masters ticket in snowblower operation

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
9 years 3 months ago #66526 by Buc
Comments pulled from the article.

“We’ve started a new tradition and we don’t want to back away from it now,” said Bill Hancock, the CFP’s executive director.

“We picked Monday night because it was open and it was the best night for our game. We announced that in June 2012,” Hancock said. “We established that our game was going to be on Monday night for 12 years.”

The CFP championship game on Jan. 12 averaged 33.4 million viewers, becoming the first show in cable TV history to top 30 million viewers. Privately, ESPN insiders say they are prepared for double-digit drops in viewership if the semifinals remain on New Year’s Eve.

Would hate to see College Football cave in to the wishes of ESPN and the NFL. At some point this "conflict" of schedule was bound to occur. Contract signed, sealed and delivered.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 months ago #66527 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic NFL, Disney, M&M, ESPN, College Football
Buc and the answer is...... hold it......drum roll...... M & M. Come up with mo. Money to give to CFB to change the

Dates...... in the interest of entertainment.... or... more viewers...bigger advertising $$$

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dawgs_fans_dad

More
9 years 3 months ago #66529 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic NFL, Disney, M&M, ESPN, College Football
I think YD1 is onto it. CFB hasn't met a tradition it won't toss aside for $$$. Especially one that is all of one year old.

I think the NFL has enough teams in the playoffs. Twice in recent years sub-.500 teams have gotten in. We don't need to see that every year. At some point they WILL make their regular season meaningless. Look at the NBA and College Basketball. CBB conferences don't even award their automatic bid to the regular season champ and San Antonio doesn't even care what their seed is. They just make sure their players are ready to play into June.

I hate to see CFB kowtow to the NFL, but the NFL is the 800 pound gorilla and as the saying goes, money talks and bull manure walks.

Although it wouldn't break my heart to see the CFB bowl and tournament games a little closer to the end of the regular season. OSU and Oregon played a full 5+ weeks after their conference championship games. Too long.

Oh well, best of luck to them splitting up all those billions. Just let us know when the game is on and which M&M outlet we need to tune into....

More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds