Forum

GAMEDAY: #5 GEORGIA BULLDOGS AT #1 TEXAS LONGHORNS (2024-10-19)

3 days 13 hours ago - 3 days 10 hours ago #83275 by SouthernDawg
A crisp morning 42° here in the Queen City and big time, top-tier college football matchups are in the air.

For the first time since 2020, Georgia comes into a matchup as the underdog. The 2024 squad has left a lot of question marks in minds of fans and critics and for very good reason. We haven’t seen a team looking like this really in the Kirby era that I can think of, at least the defensive end of things. Texas looks very much like Georgia did in 2021 & 2022 with a dynamic offense chock full of explosive playmakers looking to roll over everyone in its way. We look like we’re a team that is playing not to lose with an offense that is lacking the explosive playmakers to get any consistent offensive momentum going.

Let’s zoom in on the defense because, shockingly, I think this is the worst defense I have seen under Kirby in 9 years. Maybe that 2016 squad, but this one is close. Do we have a secondary? Do we? Because I’m seeing Starks & Everette getting burned like its a game within a game.  We’re giving up 7.1 yards per pass attempt, which is the worst we’ve looked since 2013 (7.4yds). We are feeling the huge loss right now of Javon Bullard, Tykee Smith and Kamari Lassiter. If Everette, Starks, and Jackson want to have the heat turned down, a complete performance tonight would go a long way towards doing that.  I also think we’re starting to feel the real impact of losing high performing coaches who have moved on like Fran Brown. Will Muschamp moving into a lesser role has hurt us as well, amongst other things. This defense looked great against Clempson, and since then, has gotten progressively worse each game. We are not seeing any swarming to the ball carrier like we have in prior seasons.

The key stat here, which I think holds the key to the win, is the the 3rd down completion percentage. We’re averaging 39% completion while allowing opponents to convert 32% of the time, whereas Texas is completing 52% of its third downs while allowing opponents to convert only 28% of the time. If we can’t our D off the field on thirds and Texas continues to stretch drives, then I don’t see an avenue to victory in this one.

Offensively, Beck will have to rise to the occasion on this one and will our o-line. Texas will be without question the toughest D-line Georgia has faced this season. Our receivers are going to have to……receive. We are going to need Arian Smith to shake whatever is bothering him and be that consistent stud receiver who isn’t dropping any passes except the ones that change the course of the game. We need a big time output from our receivers and with Robinson out, Frazier (who I think will be the best RB we’ve seen in years) and Etienne will have to haul the mail tonight to wear out that D. I’m looking for a complete victory on the time of possession battle to starve that Texas offensive engine of the oxygen it needs to burn.

Can we win this game? Yes. Is this the game that makes or breaks our season? Yes. Is this the toughest regular season opponent remaining? Yes. Do I think we win? No. I think our deficiencies in the secondary are much beyond a week’s hard practice to fix and I think Ewers will feast on our soft secondary. I think it’s a moderately close game, but I don’t see us winning this one. I sure as hell hope I’m wrong and I’ll be there cheering them on. I would love to be shocked and proven wrong. 

GO DAWGS! GATA! SIC EM! 

Game & Broadcast Info
  • Kickoff: Saturday, October 19 – 7:30 p.m. ET
  • Location: Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (100,119) | Austin, Tex.
  • 2024 Records: Georgia (5-1, 3-1 SEC), Texas (6-0, 2-0 SEC)
  • 2024 Rankings: Georgia #5/4, Texas #1/#1
  • TV: ABC (Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbsreit, Holly Rowe, Katie George)
  • Video Stream:  ESPN+
  • Radio: 95.5 FM WSB – Bulldog Network |  Affiliates  | Scott Howard (PxP), Eric Zeier (Color), DJ Shockley (sideline)
  • Audio Stream:  georgiadogs.com
  • Satellite: SiriusXM (82)
  • Web Stats:  georgiadogs.com
  • Twitter: #UGAvsTEX
  • SECN ReBroadcast: 10/23 – 12-3pm ET, 10/25 – 12-3am ET
  • History:  Georgia vs. Texas All-Time Series Results: TEX 4-1
  • Last Meeting: Texas won 21-28 in New Orleans, La., 1/1/2018
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 days 18 hours ago - 2 days 18 hours ago #83276 by stevedawg
Wow. Great game by our Dawgs, with many crazy things we rarely see.

It was a tough event to referee with lots of whistle blowing.
2 Helment butts that were marginal calls.
On another call the referees changed their own call from Dawgs favor to Horns favor after the stadium started looking like they were going to storm the field.  The Horn fans were not happy and threw trash on the field. That special event was brought to you by the Horn's student section.

Plus a few interceptions and fumbles for some side show action.

All in all a good time was had by the Dawgs.The team fought hard and heavy. The defense was full on. The offense showed up at critical times.
The team brought home a WIN aganist #1 Horns. And they did it as the 'way under' dog (no pun intended) in the matchup.

Next stop in 2 weeks is "WLCP".
Go Dawgs!

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

• stevedawg
  • Away
  • DAWGS.com moderator
2 days 13 hours ago #83277 by SouthernDawg

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 days 5 hours ago #83278 by Wartdawg
Well an honest assessment here is that the Dawgs overcame Carson Beck, Kirby Smart, the officials, thrown objects, and the Texas Longhorns.

But hey... the real Georgia D finally showed up and that made the difference.

God Bless and Go Dawgs...

Oh and when you are dominating... don't start the second half with a stupid squib kick.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• Wartdawg
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 days 13 minutes ago #83279 by kentdaddy

Well an honest assessment here is that the Dawgs overcame Carson Beck, Kirby Smart, the officials, thrown objects, and the Texas Longhorns.

But hey... the real Georgia D finally showed up and that made the difference.

God Bless and Go Dawgs...

Oh and when you are dominating... don't start the second half with a stupid squib kick.

More
2 days 13 minutes ago #83280 by kentdaddy
Yes to all the above.

More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds