Forum

Where's Buc?

4 years 5 months ago #80214 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Where's Buc?
Buc is dead on about the final say in play calling not resting on Coley's shoulders.

When the boss says "stay the course" and "keep doing what we do", then that is what you do.

Simpledawg also correctly points out the only coaching changes that need to happen are within Kirby.

Kirby learned from Saban and let me point out something about a coach like Saban. He is involved with everything... every aspect of his team. There is no detail too small for him to overlook. I feel Kirby is trying to coach the same way, but hasn't learned the difference between being on top of everything and thinking he knows best in regards to everything.

Here's the facts... I think the days of physically manhandling every D-line in the SEC are over. Even Saban knows this and has let some very bright offensive minds find creative ways to attack defenses. You can still be physical and run first, but be creative in how you flank an opponent when you have a stalemate in the trenches.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #80215 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Where's Buc?
Wartdawg, one thing that Saban did that I think proves what you have to say about the "man" . . . . he checks every phase of the game plan, it's just that his game plan changed noticeably when Lane Kiffin was hired. Not that Alabama didn't throw the ball prior to Lane Kiffin's arrival, he changed the way Alabama threw the football once there. Big difference.

Comes a time when most of us have had to take a good look at ourselves. That normally leads to a different plan of action.

Here's the facts... I think the days of physically manhandling every D-line in the SEC are over. Even Saban knows this and has let some very bright offensive minds find creative ways to attack defenses. You can still be physical and run first, but be creative in how you flank an opponent when you have a stalemate in the trenches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 5 months ago #80216 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Where's Buc?
Nothing is permanent.....except.... change

Agree we have the coaches to make these tweaks...

Just need a leader who recognizes they are needed..... and

Becomes part of the process to... embrace them......

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #80217 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Where's Buc?
So...is it okay to call out Kirby now?

I'm asking because I'm convinced this loss falls squarely on his shoulders. Somebody else said something to the effect that it's not about calling for his head, a sentiment with which I agree.

But, still, Georgia has a management issue.

There was also a post, I think Georgiadogs.com, maybe not, that compared Kirby to Richt at this point in their careers. The similarities are scary. I guess I'm bringing this up because, despite my support for Mark Richt, I dont want 13 years to pass to finally admit that we weren't going to get it done under that administration. Point being, is it time to worry?

We have talent by the truckload, but we seem to be falling into the same ruts that derailed Mark Richt. Case in point, look at LSU when they finally decided to get real on offense. That team is the real deal. My money is they win the West. How about Georgia? When does RBU become Air Georgia? When do we implement a plan that involves a playbook with more than a page or two?

The real question dogging me right now is this: how good could we be if we unleashed the talent we have, rather than tie it to predictable play calling? My feeling is that we need to expend similar effort in recruiting the right coaching staff as we do the highly talented players. Its frustrating.

I dont have many years left in this meat bag. I'd like to see Georgia realize its potential before I hit my expiration date, but we seem to be okay with the same old same old.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
4 years 5 months ago #80224 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Where's Buc?
LimeyDawg, I had seen the comparison of Smart/Richt a few days back and it had the same effect on me that you so ably posted above.

When Richt came on board, I was full throttle in agreement with the hire. Was also full throttle when he was released.

Does Smart continue to follow along the same line or lines that Richt did . . . . hope not. At this point I do have an empty feeling in my gut about some of the calls that were made by our head coach at a critical point in the game(s). Coach speak at this point does not cure the acid reflux.

You mention LSU. Started to do the same in this thread and glad you did bring LSU into the conversation. Orgeron is without a doubt a hard headed coach. Orgeron barely got the job, now . . . . would take a lot of "f" ups to remove him as head coach. LSU did one thing that has changed the way not only the folks in Louisiana feel about their team "again" . . . . and that is called a 180 degree turn. Brought in a coach that reworked the play book, got the Tigers away from as you described above the 4 or so plays that are easy for many or most of us to call from our seats watching our team.

One does not have to be a veteran of years in the coaching ranks to understand much of what is or is not going on. I am one that believes that maybe we as FANS have been over sold on the ferocity of our offensive line. I truly believe that we too often have to run two tight end sets or single tight end that "blocks". Something dead wrong with that picture. Believe it was dawgs_fan_dad a few years back that was asking for the tight ends to do more than block. Stacking the box as teams are prone to do against us, rather than trying to open the defensive "box" up with forward passes to tight ends, we continue to misuse their talents . . . . my opinion and maybe some others. WartDawg has mentioned "again" offensive line splits, that was brought up by him and others as a suggestion that could possibly fall on open ears.

You are spot on when you mention "TALENT". You are a UGA Grad and you have kept up with the program for a long time. I go into a meltdown when I think about the "TALENT" that has come and gone from Athens and then look at the number of NATTY's we have versus others in our conference. I do not accept excuses and that too often is what "coach speak" amounts to in my opinion.

Not going to spend another 15 or so years listening to "bluster" when that path has too often been tossed in our direction. Clock is definitely ticking for some of us.

Thanks for a very good read. Good read from where I sit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 5 months ago #80226 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Where's Buc?
Line splits to open up more running lanes...

If you can't get separation on man coverage then bring in two TE's, go play action and match those TE's up on linebackers or safeties while the coverage on the WR's takes two of their biggest secondary players out of the play... Pull 2 guards and then pinch back down on their edge with a TE coming back inside in motion from the slot..

We have the personnel to do all of this and we can still be a run first, physical team..

I just think these things are outside of Kirby's comfort zone, and he wants to have that Saban like control on everything.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds