Forum

Missing Larry

16 years 7 months ago #6502 by fire_dawg
Missing Larry was created by fire_dawg
I know that this is going to be Larry's second game not calling, but I just don't think I can listen to anyone BUT Larry call a TN. game. After all, this was the game that the \"hobnailed boot\" originated. Zeir did bring alot of knowledge to the booth when he called the game against bama, but he's no Larry Munson! I guess we as Dawg fans have just been spoiled for many years by having the BEST, if not the GREATEST play by play announcer in all of sports call our games. Not having Larry call every game is sort of like not UGA or Harry Dawg on the sidelines, he is a part of our DAWG NATION!!!! And with us being on the road for the whole month of Oct., it is going to be real tough. Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest.
GOOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• fire_dawg
  • fire_dawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 7 months ago #6503 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Missing Larry
Anyone know what Munson's all time record is when calling UGA games in terms or wins and losses? That will be a real trivia question someday among UGA fans.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #6513 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Missing Larry
ok dapolla, we are waiting for the answer, we know you have it.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 7 months ago #6518 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Missing Larry
UnderDog37 wrote:

Anyone know what Munson's all time record is when calling UGA games in terms or wins and losses? That will be a real trivia question someday among UGA fans.

Okay, fine.

Larry came to Georgia in 1966, the year of Vince Dooley's first SEC Championship season.

Dooley went 201-77-10 from 1964-1988, meaning that you must subtract the '64 and '65 seasons from his totals. That makes him 188-70-9 during the Munson years.

Goff only coached one game (1990 against Clemson, which we lost) where Larry did not call the game due to back surgery. His career totals with Georgia were 46-34-1, making him 46-33-1 when Larry called the games for him.

Donnan went 40-19, with all games called by Larry.

Richt is 65-18, with only one game (against Alabama) not having been called by Larry, making him 64-18 under Larry.

So Georgia's record with Larry Munson behind the microphone is 338-140-10. That's a 69.2% winning percentage.

More telling is that we are 368-240-24 ALL TIME without Larry calling the games. That's only a 58.2% winning percentage.

Incredible as it sounds, we have played 1120 official games as a major intercollegiate football team. Larry has called 488 of those games, or a little less than half (43.5%) of all the football games the Georgia Bulldogs have ever played.

In closing...somebody fund stem cell research now so that we can get Larry a new spine, new fingers and about fifty more good, healthy years full of cigars, fishing and Georgia football.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 7 months ago #6524 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Missing Larry
fire_dawg wrote:

I know that this is going to be Larry's second game not calling, but I just don't think I can listen to anyone BUT Larry call a TN. game. After all, this was the game that the \"hobnailed boot\" originated.

And that ain't the only call. Lest we forget:

\"Touchdown Andy Johnson!\" 1973 in Knoxville, Andy Johnson fakes a pass and runs weak side into the end zone -- \"My God we have beaten Tennessee in Knoxville!\"

\"He's running over people!\" 1980 in Athens; Herschel runs over Bill Bates in his first appearance.

\"Give the guy some rest!\" 1980 in Athens; Herschel's second touchdown to put Georgia up.

\"Lady Luck just laughed out loud right there.\" 2003 in Knoxville; Sean Jones picks up a Jabari Davis fumble and returns it for a 96-yard touchdown as time runs out in the first half.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 7 months ago #6525 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Re:Missing Larry
dapolla wrote:

In closing...somebody fund stem cell research now so that we can get Larry a new spine, new fingers and about fifty more good, healthy years full of cigars, fishing and Georgia football.

Then you better pray for anyone other than a pub!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds