Forum

Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game

16 years 7 months ago #6346 by dapolla
Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game was created by dapolla
So Brandon Coutu missed two field goals which would have prevented overtime, including a last-second three-pointer that would have won the game. What a jackass, right? Bring in Andy Bailey, right? Not so fast. Here are three reasons why Brandon Coutu did not have a bad game, including one reason why it was actually a GOOD game.

1) Length. Coutu missed a 55-yarder and a 47-yarder. I don't care what kind of leg any kid has, you can't expect him to make every single one of those. Even John Kasay sometimes has problems for my beloved Panthers kicking long ones, and he's Mr. Automatic. Plus the would-be game-winner was from the wrong hash for Coutu, which affects any kicker's accuracy.

2) Weather. In both instances Coutu was kicking against the wind. Announcers surmised that he was overcompensating for the wind when he missed the 47-yarder with :03 left.

3) And here's why he had a good game: he NEVER misses. To miss two in one game...well, a lot of people would think that it's a sign that his game is off, but here's how I take it: thank God he got those two misses out of the way in the same game, a game that we won! So now his misses are over, and knowing Brandon he'll work his TAIL off in preparation for Ole Miss this week, because did you see him on the sidelines after he missed? He was absolutely revolted with himself. No coach could have yelled at him -- even if it was warranted, which it was not -- any worse than he was yelling at himself. He's going to make sure that he makes a 65- or 70-yarder in practice this week, because like any Dawg he wants redemption.

So that's my preemptive strike against anyone worried about Brandon Coutu. Don't worry about him. He's a Georgia placekicker. Besides Andy Bailey -- who is from TENNESSEE -- name the last bad placekicker we had. See? Tough, isn't it?

GO DAWGS!!!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 7 months ago #6347 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game
Coutu is still in the top 5 kickers in the country. With Bailey? rather just go for it in any situation.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 7 months ago #6356 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game
No one took it harder than Brandon. He will be just fine the rest of the way. I'll bet he can't wait to kick another one.

More
16 years 7 months ago #6359 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game
I don't think anyone who knows anything about football is complaining about Coutu. Two yards closer and he makes a 53 yard FG. It was right on the money, just about 6 feet short. The 47 yarder? The wind picked up just as we lined up...like an earlier post suggested, maybe it was the ghost of Bryant. However, I can name the last great kicker before Coutu. Billy Bennett. He became the SEC's leading scorer during the 4 years he was here.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #6360 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game
Oh, yes UnderDog37 I agree with you on Bennett being the last great PK we had, I was just asking about the last BAD one we had, save Andy Bailey. My point was that Georgia just doesn't have bad placekickers. The big leg is as much a part of our legacy as is the G on the helmet and the Dawg Walk.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 7 months ago #6375 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Why Coutu Did NOT Have a Bad Game
Last bad kicker before Andy Bailey? Does anyone remember Hap Hines? Better known by his alias Hapless Hines?

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds