Forum

Offensive Change of Pace . . . . Rob Sales

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66861 by Buc
Devin Cochran, 6'7" Offensive Tackle. Below is what he had to say while in Athens.

“The offer surprised me a lot. To be completely honest I was going up to Tennessee but due to the weather I went right down the street to Georgia,” Cochran said. “When I was asked to go down to talk to Coach Richt, my family and I were very surprised and when he offered me I was ecstatic. Coach Sale's is an awesome guy and so far he's really cool to talk to and seems like he's a great coach as well. Overall he's a downright cool guy.”

Watched film on Devin, definitely a right tackle. Reminds me a lot of Theus. Nothing wrong with playing right tackle, not a statement knocking Theus or Cochran.

What I really appreciated hearing was the statement Devin Cochran made in the bold type above. There are some on this board that have commented on these "newbie coaches in Athens" and their understanding high school players.

We have had a year now to watch Pruitt and Company recruiting, now we see another coach with an Alabama background on the offensive side of the ball showing the same characteristics.

"Newbie coaches" keep leading these players to sit with Mark Richt. I like the fact that this group is taking charge. Stay in the office Richt, leave the "outside stuff" to a group of coaches that understand how to "sit and chat" with these young players and their high school coaches. Important that Mark Richt does the living room work, Moms and Dads like that.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66862 by Buc
Leading up to the link below, since the hiring of Brian Schottenheimer I have been out front when I said . . . . "don't know".

Have done some research on Schottenheimer as I do all players and coaches when making statements or asking questions on this board.

Still don't know. Reading the article below, makes me a bit more cautious. Know only what I read and what my wishes are for our football team.

A comment in the article about Schottenhemier likes to run the football. Think most of us are aware of the fact we have "several" running backs that could suit up for any D1 college football team, and play.

Also know that we have an offensive line that proved it was able to create cracks in the defensive lines we played against in 2014.

Guess I am down to this on Schottenheimer. Will his coaching methods make as much headway with quarterbacks as the offensive line made with Will Friend?

How large is the gap between the quarterbacks that are currently in Athens? Will there be a true competition between those that want playing time?

Must be able to throw the football in the SEC. Don't have a problem with "run first", do have a problem with not being able to allow "open competition" at any position, especially now that it seems we have all of the parts to move forward.

One more statement. I have watched almost all of the football goings on in Indianapolis. I watched an unbelievable "student athlete named Conley" that proves not everyone in Athens recognizes the talent that resides there, year after year.

Head coach played quarterback. Brian Schottenheimer played quarterback. Question. Why did AM travel to different places in the country to be instructed by others that coach quarterbacks?

Folks, just asking questions. I hope that I along with other Bulldog fans have a new hire that comes in making more money than Mike Bobo did and gets the job done. I really don't need to hear drum beats about a quarterback that will arrive in 2016 at this point. I would prefer to see one of the quarterbacks on campus step forward, through excellent position coaching and fill the largest void that I see in 2015 Georgia football.

Quite frankly I see Brian Schottenheimer the same as I see any of the incoming recruits. Schottenheimer has to prove that he can shore up the quarterback position. He is making the money, eh. Also was not offered a job in the NFL. My bet is that those are days of the past.

slanagan21, here is hoping that you are right about Jacob Park. Since you mentioned Park, I have gone back and watched tape on Park and Ramsey. Park stands out. Will that mean anything come Spring Practice? If the past is to be believed, no.

www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-footba...rian-schottenheimer/

Edit: Rob Sales is a new recruit in my eyes. Like what I have read about Sales. Proof is in the pudding. Coaches have to prove themselves also. Just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66864 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Offensive Change of Pace . . . . Rob Sales
I felt that AM always wanted to peel the onion past the first layer. He spent time with

Gruden and several others working on his skills. He wanted fresh eyes looking at him

Nothing wrong with what he was learning on campus.....he was pushing for as much info as he

could upload. His time at the Manning camps paid off.....Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66865 by Buc
There has also been a lot of talk on this board and others about the group of coaches we have on the defense.

I prefer referring to our defensive coaches as Pruitt/Rocker and Company. These guys are on the "top of their game also". Recruiting game.

They know how to approach these high school players and once on campus, the defensive coaches stay on point . . . . After reading the link below, having one of the top high school performers in the State of Georgia say what he did about Rocker and Pruitt, backs up our chatter about this group being much better than what we have watched for many years.

Anytime this early in the recruiting game a player of Michail Carter's ability being recruited by Alabama, and he puts us on equal footing, says a lot to me. Talk about building depth.

georgia.scout.com/story/1520263-michail-...r-had-a-blast-at-uga
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66866 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Offensive Change of Pace . . . . Rob Sales
Buc just ponder this for a second...... Pruitt / Rocker. Only in year two....

Already toe to toe for the best talent.....mmy thoughts lie with them having the earned

Respect of HS coaches....when a player comes for a visit. His HS coach has already

Told him to listen and learn.....these men are not blowing smoke or BS at you

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66869 by Buc
yd1 have thought about what you say in your post. Have posted to that subject many times.

One misleading fact that has been around our football team for many years is the "ability" of "all" to jump in the pool.

There is not a single coach on the defensive side of the ball that has not "jumped into the pool".

While we often speak of the great amount of talent that has called Athens home for years, there has been a lack of "follow up" from the coaching staff.

Anyone that wants to debate or casually discuss whether or not Pruitt/Rocker and Company have not changed attitudes in Athens, but in the high schools as well, time to get it on.

Say again. If I had to put my finger on the major change in Athens, it is not what I have witnessed in the past, it is what has happened since the arrival of the Alabama Gang.

Have had a few say I should not think in terms of the "Alabama Gang". To that I say this, the "Alabama Gang" has changed the way football is approached in Athens. I buy into the Pruitt/Rocker and Company way of recruiting and coaching. Just exactly what was exciting about our coaching prior to the "Alabama Gang" roosting in Athens?

A lot of young men that brought attention to themselves, because they gave all. Then there were those that left high school as BMOC and never grasped the meaning of "team". That also falls on the coaches as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds