Forum

Need For More Player Talent or Coaching Talent

9 years 5 months ago #64855 by Buc
If you are wondering (I do) how programs have done in producing NFL Draft players over the last four years using data from 2011 through 2014.

It is sometimes said that there is no shortage of talent passing through Athens. Makes me wonder why we have to hope Missouri loses to Arkansas to be involved in games of serious consequence. Actually know why.

Say one more time, not a lack of player talent, list below bears that out. Time I think for many to look at "who" we are and "why".

There are National Championship Teams both above us (Georgia) and below us listed below that have won the trophy in the past 14 years.

My opinion, surprise, surprise . . . . Georgia's last National Championship? Not surprised.

Alabama: 30

LSU: 29

Florida State: 25

Georgia: 23

Oklahoma: 21

Clemson: 19

Miami: 19

Notre Dame: 19

USC: 19

Wisconsin: 19

Florida: 18

South Carolina: 17

Stanford: 17

Nebraska: 16

Baylor: 15

Ohio State: 14

Oregon: 14

Texas A&M: 13

Penn State: 12

Auburn: 10

Michigan: 10

Tennessee: 10

Texas: 10

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #64858 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Neither,........
I've thought and written often on this paradox, wrestled with the simplicity of the transitive properties and concluded that the "Big Boys" find little value in winning crystal balls, but GREAT VALUE in a perpetual state of almost getting there! Think about it...Better yet, look at the SEC teams that have won the NC in the last decade. With the exception of Bama, every other team has suffered tremulous periods after winning the NC, UGA included! Hell, just look across the CFB landscape to see one example after another where great fortune is often followed by great failure.....WHY????.....Expectation!

We, as fans, feel the sting of expectations not met when CMB/CMR deploys the annual bed wetting, cranial flatulence game. Imagine, if you will, the expectations that WILL come to repeat an NC. It's not just the fan base, suddenly it's the corporate sponsors, the endorsers, the big money contributors, all wanting, perhaps demanding another slice of that money pie!...This acrimonious example is played out daily inside the Beltway and has paralyzed the government of this once great republic!

Now, throttle that back, just a bit, to where the expectation falls predominately on just the fan base. I doubt that anyone, herein, didn't at one point in this season, buy into the possibility that "this was the year!"....We do this EVERY FREAKIN' year! Some more so than others, but it does occur and will again next year. Same can be said for the pundents and sportscasting bobbleheads...They may not want to buy in, but they do,...then they help cement the anxiety of expectations lost by bashing us relentless!....Then the "Big Boys" trot out Mr. Nice Guy and he "Awwww, Shucks!!!" the doe eyed masses into understanding that its a tough "arena", but we "tell the truth", play clean, hope and above all, we PRAY, that one day, one season, that crystal ball will come back home!

It's a mindset, a culture, a profitable business model that rakes in BIG $$$$, keeps the fan base energized, sets the expectations where the ultimate goal can been seen, but remains just out of reach. CMR doesn't need to go the West Africa, or India, or wherever for mission work,.....his missionary is right here in Athens! He makes no bones about his desire to foster, develop and guide young men,...and the above noted list of current NFL players is a testament to his work. It's a perfectly matched, symbiotic relationship.

If you noticed, I excluded Bama from the fortune/failure roller coaster, largely due to their historical and continued annual prominence in the hunt for the crystal. Seven million, plus endorsements is a hefty price to pay! One that we'll likely NEVER see in Athens!....But consistent dividends,.....ahhhh THAT's an investment strategy that works!

Washington should pay more attention to CFB and the exceedingly successful business models at play....

OH YAH,......

TO HELL WITH TECH !!!

GO DAWGS........

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 5 months ago #64860 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Neither,........
Props NC Dawg.

From the vault comes this article in 2012, here we are in 2014.

www.sicemdawgs.com/2012/10/mark-richt-ge...pponents-since-2008/

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 5 months ago #64862 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic I think a few more awaken each year,....
But are often drown out by the tsunami like CMR lovefest, and/or rapidly re-assimilate into accepting the 9-3 and 10-2 as "ALMOST THERE"!!! I can't begin to describe the number of dawg fans that I've talked to that actually believe in the "Almost there" mentality....Which is often followed by,...."Who you going to hire?"...."We could end up like UT or UF?"...

Like I said, its a culture and changing a deeply rooted culture is extremely difficult, if not impossible!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
9 years 5 months ago #64865 by Buc

NC_Dawg wrote: But are often drown out by the tsunami like CMR lovefest, and/or rapidly re-assimilate into accepting the 9-3 and 10-2 as "ALMOST THERE"!!! I can't begin to describe the number of dawg fans that I've talked to that actually believe in the "Almost there" mentality....Which is often followed by,...."Who you going to hire?"...."We could end up like UT or UF?"...

Like I said, its a culture and changing a deeply rooted culture is extremely difficult, if not impossible!

The above takes me back to the vault.

Article worth a look/see. What really sticks out NC Dawg is what you said above. Some might want to read the "comments". Here I was thinking the word "stoopid" applied elsewhere, shoe fits in the comment section in the article below.

Plucked this from the article . . . . Eventually, UGA’s hand may be forced to make a change — whether its the right thing to do or not.

Will not happen, our head coach is as "safe" in Athens as Nick Saban is in Tuscaloosa. Two coaches on opposite sides of the coin.

One makes 4 million a year for 9 win seasons, the other makes 7 million for winning National Championships.

While some of us that post are in my opinion on the right side of the ledger, you are correct sir when you post this . . . . "Almost there" mentality....Which is often followed by,...."Who you going to hire?"...."We could end up like UT or UF?"...

Has been said more than once or twice on this board. Make no apologies, tried the other side twice in the 14 years under this head coach, actually three times. When Richt first came on board, there were some here that were in the same "life raft" that I was in. Raft sprung a leak and . . . .

www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-footba...-ceiling-mark-richt/

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 5 months ago #64882 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic I think a few more awaken each year,....
Richt is incompetent. I have been saying it for years. I could win 10 games with that talent easily. ........probably more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.036 seconds