Forum

SEC Coaching Question . . . .

9 years 6 months ago #63832 by Buc
SEC Coaching Question . . . . was created by Buc
Think the nation understands that the SEC is a hard egg to crack.

Couple of questions about the "newbies" in the SEC coaching ranks.

Watched Bielema meet Richt at midfield after the game was over, watched Bielema leave after shaking hands . . . . shoulders "slumped" walking off of the field.

There was a lot of "build up" for the game in Little Rock, but . . . .

Rocky Top, they have all of the "things" that these high school players want to see as far as facilities. Beginning to question whether or not Butch Jones has what it takes to move the program forward. I do not doubt the coaching ability of Jones, in certain areas, do question some of the sideline "stuff" that I am beginning to see "week after week".

Back to Bielema. Running the football can be a very good thing, but Bielema has to figure this out . . . . he is now in the SEC, different game played here. Every team that he and his troops will face understand how to line up with the Razorbacks.

Anyone that believes "any team" in the SEC will be bullied or ran over, ain't gonna happen.

Cannot say this with any certainty, but I seem to remember Muschamp being hired by Foley to change the mess that meyer left. He has not done that. Not sure that the fans in Arkansas or Tennessee understand what they are up against.

Question. Who will lead the Tennessee offensive attack next season? Who will lead the Arkansas attack next season? When I look at both teams appears to me that there are some "holes" in the coaching philosophy for next season and maybe beyond.

We have been through that, not once, several times.

Just thinking to myself again. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63833 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic SEC Coaching Question . . . .
Buc. I was going to sit on this until the end of the season but since you stirred the

Puddin.... check your vault I have said many times. I would not trade our problems for

Anyone else's. Looking into the future the East is ours for the picking for the next

Several years. Heard all the talk about UT,KY, about how they have turned the corner

Well at times when you turn the corner you run smack into another corner. Dawgs have

First hand experience in that area. Add the messy in UF and now the questions with SC and

Mizzou who has their house in better order than us ????

True we have much more work to do....however I do like the contractors we have leading the
:cheer:
way. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

More
9 years 6 months ago #63834 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic SEC Coaching Question . . . .

yankeedawg1 wrote: Buc. I was going to sit on this until the end of the season but since you stirred the

Puddin.... check your vault I have said many times. I would not trade our problems for

Anyone else's. Looking into the future the East is ours for the picking for the next

Several years. Heard all the talk about UT,KY, about how they have turned the corner

Well at times when you turn the corner you run smack into another corner. Dawgs have

First hand experience in that area. Add the messy in UF and now the questions with SC and

Mizzou who has their house in better order than us ????

True we have much more work to do....however I do like the contractors we have leading the
:cheer:
way. Go Dawgs

Not once have you said this, many times . . . . check your vault I have said many times. I would not trade our problems for anyone else's.

Earlier in 2014, after what I watched in 2013, some of my thoughts have changed.

At the poker table, guess I am all in. Will I and others be rewarded? Don't have a clue.

yankeedawg1, when I say I am "all in", have been "all in for the Univeersity of Georgia" probably longer than many on this board.

It has become increasingly hard for me to look at what I have seen over the years, and accept "replays of what I have seen over the years". My biggest problem this day and time is simply this . . . . want to make some new footprints in the sand.

If this old fart is wrong in his belief of what he has seen happen on the "entire team" this season, especially the defensive side, not sure that I would return to this board and be as vocal as I have been.

Difference in the offensive side and the defensive side . . . . we have not had a leader on the defensive side since . . . . I have my opinion on that, but . . . .

Don't mean for this to be ugly, but I have watched our coaches lean toward the offensive side of recruiting for years, with the exception of the offensive line. Maybe now "both sides of the ball are in the same HUDDLE". Believe you and DAWGtm refer to TEAM play more often than many when looking over previous posts.

Simply this, if it is not broken, don't fix/mess with it. Speaking as a long time spectator, it appears that we are closer to "fixing it". Might pp some off again, that however belongs in their basket . . . . Mark Richt leave the coaching to the coaches. I said that, again. Seems to finally be working in our favor. Some on this board have said over the years that they wish they could have "spent some time" in by gone days. It was fun, it was football. Would love to see Hutson Mason lead this group to ATL. What a turn around that would be from the beginning of the 2014 Season (South Carolina). Anyone agree with the last statement?

Go Dawgs, Coach'em Up!! Too much talent to mess up in JAX. gators have changed the starting quarterback for us, will not make a difference if we arrive in JAX to play. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago #63848 by TN Dawg
Replied by TN Dawg on topic SEC Coaching Question . . . .
Buc,
I can say this, up here in TN, Jones is feeling pressure to win. One game that comes to mind. UT vs UF - game that they were totally devastated about losing. Especially looking at UF now.

They are sitting at 3 - 4 with Bama, SC, KY, Mizzou, & Vandy remaining. None of those are sure things and the Vandy game being there, they are worried about that one as well.

All the blame is being put on Kiffin & Dooley for not recruiting O - Line (where you heard that before). O Line has given up 17 sacks in last 3 games. It held together pretty good until they played quality teams. Soon though it will be all Jones' recruits. Stay tuned for developing details.

Lot of talk about number of years with program. Comparisons made between Freeze and Jones. Faithful are hoping he can have the same success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 6 months ago #63852 by Buc
TN Dawg, said before, you probably spend as much time in Sanford Stadium as anyone on this board and other boards. Another member of this board that I feel falls in the same category . . . . GooseDawg78. Both of you are "closer" to the action in terms of being around folks in the stands, versus those like myself that are fed what the networks want us to see and . . . . hear. I feed off of what guys like the two of you have to say both before and especially after a game.

Tennessee at this point reminds me of what Ole Miss and Miss State have gone through over a long period of time. Coaches come and go, on occasion the "good old boys" make a very good selection, one that quite frankly puts butts in the seats, grabs national attention. At this point much press is being afforded to both of the Mississippi head coaches. They earned it through their efforts, and quite frankly have moved the SEC further in advance of the other conferences.

Jones in my opinion shows many of the characteristics that Muschamp has exhibited on the sidelines during a game. That could be good or bad. I have been one that has mentioned Mark Richt being less than "into the game" on the sidelines. Still bothers me at times, but I "think" he is beginning to "change" some habits. Do I want to see Mark Richt coaching on game day like Jones and Muschamp, nope, unless it is necessary.

Of course I have to say a "little something" :) about offensive line recruiting and teaching. Have also said this before . . . . not so long ago, probably a majority or close to a majority of UGA folks felt that Will Friend should be relieved of his job. Time has passed and looking at what some thought a short time back was a hire that should not have happened are on board now.

Kiffin will be one of those that will probably "never grow up". He is who he is. Dooley in my opinion was a "wish and a hope" by those running the Tennessee program. By what I just said, I mean this . . . . the difference in Kiffin and Dooley is as far apart as the North and South Poles. Tells me that the "higher ups" don't have a clue. If I were in charge in Knoxville right now, would give Jones "time". We gave Will Friend time and it worked it appears. We gave grantham too much time, don't really have to go too far into that, especially from where I sit.

Will stop with this. Freeze has turned Ole Miss around, what is going on right now on the Ole Miss Campus is just the beginning. I stand by that. Freeze understands football and . . . . recruiting, whether we agree with his policy or not. Say again, Tennessee needs someone like Jones, he will not turn tail and run. Nuff said. :whistle:

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63935 by Buc
Seems to me regardless of where we end up, the following article by Seth Emerson shows the value of having a "happy group" playing defense.

Thing about this particular article, it is not blowing smoke, statistics speak for themselves.

The word "team" seems to be popping up more and more.

Picked from the article below.

It’s way more fun because I can trust them,” Floyd said. “Last year, we’d get to third down, I’d be focused on, ‘I hope the secondary can cover everybody.’ But now I’ve got total confidence in them.”

www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/10/27/33799...etly-turns.html?rh=1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds