Quantcast
Forum

IMG, Sports Agents and Harbaugh B1G

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #72867 by Buc
Isaac Nauta is a graduate of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Reason for talking about this is a "situation" that is currently going on between the Michigan head football coach, and the SEC Commissioner.

Much can be said one way or the other, a couple of thoughts . . . .

IMG has been discussed on Dawgs.com for a couple of years. Might find it interesting to hear in the video that "sports agents" hang around IMG Academy in Florida. Entirely different than other high schools.

My thoughts concerning the NCAA which has been contacted by SEC Commissioner about stopping this from happening, will not hold water.

Find it interesting that the ACC and others have not stepped up and had conversation with the NCAA.

Harbaugh plays hardball. B1G knows that they have to recruit in the South to move their programs forward. Not to be forgotten . . . . urban meyer spent time in Gainesville, Florida, head coach of the gator football program. Learned a lot and left because of health problems, ( ;) ) now the head coach at Ohio State. Harbaugh is not a dumb ass. Saw what meyer did, just taking it a step further. You think? I do.

Have to say this . . . . Our head coaching change was needed, big time. Remember urban meyer taking Mark Richt behind the woodshed? I do.

Head Coach Kirby Smart will "mix". The B1G does not bother him.

www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on...hits-sec-for-whining

www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer...-practice-in-florida

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #72870 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic IMG, Sports Agents and Harbaugh B1G
There has been some conversation recently about college football becoming a big time business.

Most of us know that college football has been a big time business for a long time. It was not talked about outside of the halls where "sunshine" was not allowed.

Ask yourself this question . . . .

Why did UGA hire Kirby Smart? Think about that. Was it because he is the best college football coach? In the top ten or twenty best college football coaches?

High school football coaches making over 100,000 dollars a year? I don't have a problem with that. Just bring that number up because we are looking at football as a business.

Appears to me that the business portion of football now reaches deeply into high school football.

Anyone remember the football players at Northwestern and what they had to say about college football? I do.

A lot of conversation about players being paid more than an a "little bit". Some call it survival money.

Leads me to this . . . . Why should Greg McGarity make over 1/2 million dollars a year? Anyone believe the Athletic Director will be more important to the coffers in Athens than Kirby Smart? Yes, I know that Kirby is making less than Mark did . . . . how long will that last?

Anyone tired of looking closely at Georgia Football and the way it has been presented to the folks that "truly" support the University of Georgia?

I am no different than most that post here. I do not want to go through much of the "same" that I have witnessed for more years than I care to remember. Any that disagree, check the NC's and other pertinent facts that have surrounded UGA Football since . . . . you choose the date.

Our history is not that good. I said that and can back it up, me thinks.

Shift to this.

I do not believe we have had a head coach at the University of Georgia that equals the hiring of Kirby Smart. Been around for a while, this hire was the right hire.

Kirby Smart will get his money when the time comes, and that will not be too far down the tracks. Miss the tracks.

Go Dawgs

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #72900 by Buc
Have said for a couple of years that there is more . . . . and there is.

Below is a portion of an article presented by Florida Strong.

The $2,000,000 Handout To His Brother’s Client – “Corporate Welfare Of The Highest Order, A Late-Night Gift Negotiated In Secret.”

Tampa Bay Times: Appropriations Chairman Corcoran’s Brother Was Lobbyist For Private Academy That Received $2M In State Budget. In a June 2015 editorial, The Tampa Bay Times wrote: “’This is the way government should work.’ That is what House Appropriations Chairman Richard Corcoran told reporters late Monday night after he helped stuff hundreds of millions in special projects into the state budget with little or no public scrutiny. Among those items was $2 million for the private, for-profit IMG Academy in Bradenton that charges up to $80,000 a year for athletes to attend its boarding school. One of IMG’s lobbyists happens to be Corcoran’s brother.” [Tampa Bay Times, editorial, 6/18/15]

Tampa Bay Times: “The $2 Million For IMG Is Corporate Welfare Of The Highest Order, A Late-Night Gift Negotiated In Secret.” In a June 2015 editorial, The Tampa Bay Times opined: “The $2 million for IMG is corporate welfare of the highest order, a late-night gift negotiated in secret. There were plenty of magically appearing handouts, from $1 million to promote the beef industry to $7 million for school uniforms to a sweetheart deal for police radios. But the IMG money, coming on top of millions earmarked for the academy the last two years, and the last-minute spending spree crystallizes the hypocrisy of Republican lawmakers who portray themselves as fiscal conservatives. This is the way government should work?” [Tampa Bay Times, editorial, 6/18/15]

Tampa Bay Times: IMG Money “Crystallizes The Hypocrisy Of Republican Lawmakers Who Portray Themselves As Fiscal Conservatives.” In a June 2015 editorial, The Tampa Bay Times opined: “The $2 million for IMG is corporate welfare of the highest order, a late-night gift negotiated in secret. There were plenty of magically appearing handouts, from $1 million to promote the beef industry to $7 million for school uniforms to a sweetheart deal for police radios. But the IMG money, coming on top of millions earmarked for the academy the last two years, and the last-minute spending spree crystallizes the hypocrisy of Republican lawmakers who portray themselves as fiscal conservatives. This is the way government should work?” [Tampa Bay Times, editorial, 6/18/15]

Since 2012, IMG Academy Has Built A “Lobbying Army” That Includes The Brother Of House Appropriations Chairman Richard Corcoran. In June 2015, The Tampa Bay Times reported, “Since 2012, IMG Academy and IMG College, owned by the parent company WME-IMG, have built a 10-member lobbying army in Tallahassee that includes two former speakers of the Florida House and the brother of the House Appropriations Chairman Richard Corcoran. It has helped IMG win big friends in the Florida Legislature, including House Speaker Steve Crisafulli, R-Merritt Island, who lauded the IMG Academy for its economic development impact and its private school, which is attracting students from around the globe.” [Tampa Bay Times, 6/18/15]

South Florida Sun Sentinel: “We Suggest” The Reason IMG Received $2M Was Lobbyist Michael Corcoran, Brother Of House Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Corcoran. In June 2015, The South Florida Sun Sentinel reported, “IMG, the Miami Herald/Tampa Bay Times reported, was set to get just $50,000 for next year. During budget negotiations IMG got almost $2 million, which would have brought the school’s three-year haul of public money to $9.3 million. House Speaker Steve Crisafulli, R-Merritt Island, praised IMG for offering ‘more choice in education,’ though that choice extends only to an elite slice of Florida, and the company is seeking more foreign students. Then, Crisafulli said, there’s economic development. IMG wants to attract a division of Gatorade, for possible research on energy drinks. IMG hosts tournaments that draw tourists. We suggest that there was a more practical reason for the Legislature’s generosity. IMG’s lobbyists include Michael Corcoran. His brother is House Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Corcoran, R-Lutz. Corcoran will be House speaker in 2017-18, and everyone in Tallahassee knows that he’s already the real power in that chamber. Corcoran was most responsible for the House blocking Medicaid expansion.” [South Florida Sun Sentinel, editorial, 6/24/15]

Rep. Pilon On IMG Funding: “It’s A Travesty.” In June 2015, The Bradenton Herald reported, “But how the private company got insinuated into the budget isn’t sitting well with everyone, including advocates of other sports venues competing for some of the same dollars. ‘It’s a travesty,’ state Rep. Ray Pilon, R-Sarasota, said of the IMG project getting $2 million when the Nathan Benderson Rowing Park, which is hosting the world rowing championships, got nothing.” [Bradenton Herald, 6/18/15]

“Tea-Party Affiliated Groups Don’t Like The State Spending On IMG.” In June 2015, The Bradenton Herald wrote: “Tea party-affiliated groups don’t like the state spending on IMG, seeing it as similar to other tax breaks given out to build professional sports stadiums or to attract the film industry. Americans for Prosperity Florida chapter spokesman Andres Malave said lawmakers should spend funds on projects that can benefit a majority of Floridians, and not a narrow interest like IMG.” [Bradenton Herald, 6/18/15]

IMG Academy Is No Rookie “When It Comes To Working The State Legislature.” In June 2015, The Tampa Bay Times reported, “To get $9.3 million of state taxpayer money in three years, a private sports academy in Bradenton and its sister company have shown they are no rookies when it comes to working the state Legislature. Through 2012, IMG Academy — a sports training ground for professional athletes and a private boarding school — had never received any state money for its activities. But over the past three years, the for-profit company has been in every state budget collecting money to expand its campus, which is famous for training athletes like NFL quarterback Cam Newton, tennis star Maria Sharapova and baseball player Josh Hamilton.” [Tampa Bay Times, 6/18/15]

Before 2012, IMG Academy Had Never Received State Money – So What Changed? In June 2015, The Tampa Bay Times reported, “Through 2012, IMG Academy — a sports training ground for professional athletes and a private boarding school — had never received any state money for its activities. But over the past three years, the for-profit company has been in every state budget collecting money to expand its campus, which is famous for training athletes like NFL quarterback Cam Newton, tennis star Maria Sharapova and baseball player Josh Hamilton. What’s changed?” [Tampa Bay Times, 6/18/15]

Since 2012, IMG Academy Has Built A “Lobbying Army” That Includes The Brother Of House Appropriations Chairman Richard Corcoran. In June 2015, The Tampa Bay Times reported, “Since 2012, IMG Academy and IMG College, owned by the parent company WME-IMG, have built a 10-member lobbying army in Tallahassee that includes two former speakers of the Florida House and the brother of the House Appropriations Chairman Richard Corcoran. It has helped IMG win big friends in the Florida Legislature, including House Speaker Steve Crisafulli, R-Merritt Island, who lauded the IMG Academy for its economic development impact and its private school, which is attracting students from around the globe.” [Tampa Bay Times, 6/18/15]

Manatee County Supervisor Criticized The $2M Funding Of Privately Owned Business While Money Requested For Income Generating State Park Was Neglected. In June 2015, The Sarasota Herald Tribune reported, “Manatee County Supervisor of Elections Mike Bennett – a former state senator who sits on the board of a foundation that is raising money for the rowing park and had been lobbying state lawmakers for additional funding – said Tuesday he is particularly upset that IMG, a private business, received a budget earmark while the public park he represents was passed over. ‘It’s a county project, a state project and it’s an income generator for the state,’ Bennett said of the rowing park. ‘When I see those kinds of things not getting funded and I see $2 million for an IMG I say: ‘Wait a minute. Where are we coming from on this? Those things kind of bother me.’” [Sarasota Herald Tribune, 6/17/15]

The Florida Legislature did not approve of the IMG "Lobbying Effort".

Not only is college football a business, as has been said on Dawgs.com, high school football as well is in the "fast track".

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #72901 by Buc
www.georgiadogs.com/

imgcollege.com/

Go to the bottom of the above listed site . . . . check out who is listed there. My, my.

More
2 years 11 months ago #72902 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic IMG, Sports Agents and Harbaugh B1G
Buc,UGA needs to be careful in taking kids from IMG in the future. Too much out in the open "money" culture in my opinion. Blatant. Kid's who go there may be primed a little too much at the $pump$.

KS doesn't need to stoop to IMG to grab kids. Kids who turn their backs on their local community high school team. Yes, it's all a business---but an IMG kid is a little toooooo much business for my tastes.

I hope the Nauta signing does not come back to bite us.

As far as Harbaugh (I believe I'm on record on this board a few years ago when I wanted UGA to t least try to get him). I know what he has---Kirby Smart fire and drive.

I would also love Harbaugh for doing this if I were a Michigan man.

Would love to see Kirby open a summer camp near the Ohio/Penn border----talent rich area up that way. :woohoo: :evil:

Let the Civil War 2 begin....bring it.

More
2 years 11 months ago #72903 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic IMG, Sports Agents and Harbaugh B1G
Had Mark Richt stayed at UGA, we would have sunk even further now that Harbaugh is doing his thing.

Any NC we win under Smart, 5% of the profits should go to Steve Spurrier for starting the chain of events that have lead us to today. Love ya Ole Ball Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds