Forum

The Problem With Ascendancy

6 years 6 months ago #77138 by LimeyDawg
The Problem With Ascendancy was created by LimeyDawg
It's no surprise to anyone, I'm sure, that the rise of Georgia has caught the media's attention. No more flying under the radar for the Dawgs from this point forward.

The inevitable result of becoming a media darling is the propensity to speculate on how we would fare against Alabama. The supposition runs the gamut from the sensible (not yet there) to the sublimely nonsensical (Georgia is the program to dethrone the Tide.)

The Homer in me wants to believe that Georgia is the best team in the nation, fully capable of winning it all based on a productive body of work thus far. The national media seems hell bent on reinforcing this notion, and I've noticed a little of that creeping it's way into the boards on certain sites.

But lets,take a step back, shall we? Are we good? Hell yes. Are we 'Bama good? Meh, not yet.

This week's A&M game gave me hope that the tide are beatable due to the scoreline (relatively). And certainly, we have a puncher's chance in any week. But, just because we're significantly better than last year doesnt necessarily mean we've risen above our annual mediocrity. It's a process. There's work to do.

My concern is that the idea that we're already on that next level will insinuate itself in the minds of a fan base clamoring for a greatness that has been tantalizingly just out of reach. Then, each slip up (they will come) generates negativity that reaches the players.

To this point, Kirby has been superb in maintaining focus, but I can't help but worry that continued success will come at the price of undeserved arrogance. We will likely be 8-0 when we meet Auburn. If we pass that test, an undefeated season prior to the SECCG is well within expectations.

Kirby talked about changing culture, and he certainly seems to be doing so on the field. However, in an ascendant program, too quick of a rise tends to create undue expectations, especially with the fan base. I hope that a portion of Kirby's message to the team is that they ignore (to a certain extent) the noise coming from the bleachers and the media. The season is won or lost on the field. Plenty of time for accolades when the season is ended and, of course, if you want to supplant the king, you have to beat the king on gameday, not two months out.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LimeyDawg
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 6 months ago #77139 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic The Problem With Ascendancy
Excellent read Limey......saline points.....

Based on what I am hearing from our HC....he learned very well from CNS..... he has been able to keep the team focused and has done a superb job of having our team ready to play...

Imho....it’s his practice routine....coming in Monday and being totally honest about what the game film shows..no sugar coating or blowing smoke at the players

As he learned from his visit with Bill Belichick....each player..just do your job...

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg, growl

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #77140 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic The Problem With Ascendancy
Excellent post Limey.

If there's one thing I think Kirby has done a stellar job at is reinforcing that the SEC is a grind and that they've really accomplished nothing thus far in the grand scheme. Yes, 6-0 is a beautiful record to have, but it's only half way there. Let UGA lose a game or two and those same media talking heads that are lauding Georgia as the next great powerhouse will forget them like yesterday's news. The margin between relevancy and irrelevancy is razor thin. I hope this message is being conveyed loud and clear, as it would certainly help the team maintain focus. I'm sure it is. Kirby had the master of masters to learn from in this regard. Look at what the media are doing to the Tide now. They're expecting every game to be 66-3. I agree completely with CNS's latest point that the media and their hype are like rat poison to a program trying to maintain focus.

My view, after watching this team thus far, is that we're very close to "that level" which wins championships, but we're not quite there. Despite the 45-14 win over Vandy last week, and sweet as it was, the defense had the slightest hint of complacency. They weren't attacking the offense like they had been in the Miss State and UT game in Obnoxville. Kirby said it clearly after the game: "I don't think we got better this week." That's a problem. As the season goes on, if you want to be serious contenders to unseat the champ of the conference, you have to be getting better and better each week as the season goes on. I will stand by my statement I made after the UT game that if Georgia played that way every week, there isn't a team in the nation including Bama that could have beaten them. But, that level is very difficult to maintain, and maintaining it is what CNS does at an unmatched level currently. Kirby is getting this program close to it, but it's not there yet. It's close, very very close, but there's still a gap between the level of ball played in Tuscaloosa and the ball played in Athens. The media sees the two almost as parallel equals now, and I understand that their job is to create storylines and raise fan interest. But, objectively, we're not there yet.

Now, with that understanding, even though we aren't there yet, Bama is beatable. Clearly, they're beatable. They've been proven beatable a handful of times in the last five years. If Georgia wants their shot at Bama, it has to stay focused on beating Mizzou. Then Florida. Then on and on until the very end until we stand there at the end of the season having had no one beat us. That's what it takes. We have the coach to do it. That's indisputable at this point.

I listened to all-access this week and I listened to Terry Godwin (I believe it was Terry) say that the lessons he's learned from Coach Smart and Coach Tucker is that he holds his teammates accountable for everything they do and they hold him accountable likewise. He said Coach Smart demands perfection and has his players demand it from each other. If you want to know why UGA is doing what it's doing, look no further. Ascendancy takes hard work. What did Kirby say on day one when asked by the media what the secret was to "The Process" at Alabama? Kirby said: "There's no secret to it guys, 'The Process' is hard work."

Like YD said, it's the practices. It's the philosophy and mindset that nothing less than hard work and the perfection of that hard work will suffice. That explains the ascendancy. You either buy into "The Process" or you sit on the bench. Kirby has made is pretty clear that he's not afraid to sit a 4 or a 5 star that doesn't buy into it, because there's plenty of 3 stars that will and will surpass even their wildest imagination at what they can do at their position.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, LimeyDawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl

More
6 years 6 months ago #77141 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic The Problem With Ascendancy
Have watched #18 Isaac Nauta on film since Kirby mentioned "practice habits" for one and all to hear. Not only did Nauta get the message, firmly believe that most on the team took notice. As mentioned by SouthernDawg above, that is "coaching", coaching with expected "team results".

There were some comments made about #14 Malkom Parrish and cover skills which I agree with. Malkom will hit you with thoughts of making you remember his number. From where I sit, Parrish would have been one heck of a linebacker if the good Lord had given him that type of body. Speed does not allow Malkom to cover when playing man. Firmly believe that the coaches will use him more and more as a "situation player". Nothing wrong with that, he is after all playing D1 football and getting playing time. Many high school players never get to reach that height.

Believe that some of our problems on defense, if there truly were problems was #78 Trenton Thompson not in the lineup. No player in the SEC plays that position (gap responsibilities) better than Trenton. Does not get a lot of "press" after this run of wins, watch the film and it is easy to see why he was and is highly regarded. We need #78 back in the starting lineup. Fact.

Good reads guys. Good reads without the "stuff" that many put out to gain "clicks". Their livelihood depends on getting the fans attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
6 years 6 months ago #77142 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic The Problem With Ascendancy
Limey : "It's no surprise to anyone, I'm sure, that the rise of Georgia has caught the media's attention. No more flying under the radar for the Dawgs from this point forward.

Now days success = media click bait will follow you around.

I have been ignoring TV commercials for 45 years, I can ignore click bait too.

Probably the Russians. :whistle: :laugh:

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

6 years 6 months ago #77143 by growl
Replied by growl on topic The Problem With Ascendancy
Don't have a problem with Ascending, its the descending that gets on my nerves!

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds