Forum

MONDAY MORNING before game 5

7 years 6 months ago #74938 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Still on the fence with the new OC. Has not really shown me enough to impress me.

thecountrynation.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #74939 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP

ogredawg wrote: Still on the fence with the new OC. Has not really shown me enough to impress me.

Verdict still out, agree.

Add this . . . .

Catch some of the passes thrown.

Backs still running the same plays as before, not much change there, lots of running back talent. Offensive line is still a hard pill to swallow at this point. Eason needs all of the help he can get, or memories of AM against Auburn a while back flash back for me.

Talking heads all over Jacob Eason throwing off of his back foot. If they look close enough at the line play, Eason can't step up, no room to do so. Most of the passes I have seen thrown off of the back foot point me to look at "other areas".
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
7 years 6 months ago #74940 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Just me chirping . . . . again.

Much of what I read and think comes down to this for me . . . .

All or many of us, especially the FANS that take the time to understand the game, whether we played, watched or whatever . . . .

Patience is running a bit thin. Coaches and some players lose their patience over a single play or game.

FAN base lost patience with the way "our" program has finished for more years than I can count. It has been said and it is true . . . . previous head coach dismissed, new hire will have a shorter length of time to correct much of the past.

I am solidly in the Smart and Company camp. That does not mean that I have an enormous amount of patience to see "solid improvement" fall by the wayside. Been there, done that.

Jacob Eason. Does not have "wheels". If I am playing against him and I am a solid pass rusher, know exactly where to find Jacob. If Jacob had "wheels" that would change a certain percentage.

Where does that leave Buc. Same place that a handful of folks on this board have been for a long time . . . . Offensive line that has to be a step above "good". Keep reminding myself, Offensive Line Coach Sam Pittman said from the get/go . . . . "We have to get larger players". I have to believe that Kirby Smart sought Sam out because he also knows what has to be done with a pro style quarterback with limited "wheels". Solid hire, me thinks. As ogredawg said above about our Offensive Coordinator Jim Chaney, show me. Totally agree.

Say this again, said it once before on Dawgs.com. Nick Saban is changing his coaching philosophy it appears . . . . base that on his starting quarterback now.

In my mind, Nick Saban would have used Jake Fromm the same way he is using his quarterback now. Not a doubt that Nick wanted Jake. I have to believe that Kirby has said some things to incoming players that none of us have a clue about. Do know this, Jake Fromm is lighting Georgia High School Football up. That is not a shot at Jacob Eason, it is simply hoping that our coaching staff can keep up with the current trends.

If we do not come out Saturday and play "Grown Man Football" . . . . we have a problem. Yes, I said that.

Go Dawgs, as Wartdawg has said for years . . . . NO EXCUSES. Our play against Ole Miss was pathetic. JMHO. Have watched the game a couple of times, changes need to be made, and I believe that will happen soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74941 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Buc,

You hit the nail on the head with the impatience thing. It blows my mind how impatient I am seeing our fan base. Let's say it once again in the hopes that it sinks in: this is not our year. Next year is not our year. Ok? Ok.

I want to address the Jim Chaney criticism brigade I'm reading on other forums and the little digs they're giving him in the toilet paper of record.

First and foremost, to be declaring Chaney fit or unfit for the OC position at this point in time is like declaring a heart transplant patient fit for a marathon right after surgery. We don't have near the metric to judge whether Chaney is going to be the guy for the job or not. I know that last year, our offense was horrible. Last year we averaged 163 passing yards per game. On third down conversions, we were a paltry 31%. Post Chubb-injury we were 89 yards per game rushing. We ranked 8th in the SEC in total offense. We ranked 10th in the SEC in passing offense and we were calling for Shoddy's head by mid season.

Chaney has his work cut out for him, there is no doubt about it, and he has it cut out for him with a tremendous amount of young talent that are learning on the fly. Kirby said he's looking for a leader to step up - well, that can be player or coach. But, take heart Dawg fans, gauging by how Kirby has run this team as "Alabama East" in his demeanor and program protocol, I have no doubt that since the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree that he will fire Chaney if he has enough information to make him secure in the fact that he isn't the guy for the job. But that is way down the road. For the time being, let's try to be a little supportive of the coaching staff and give the benefit of the doubt.

Not saying anyone here by name is calling for a firing, but I'm sniffing it out elsewhere that there's no confidence in Chaney. I smell the same thing with Pittman. Apparently Butch Davis smelled it too, when he wrote a nice piece supporting Sam. Please, let's all take a breath and give this unit time to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 6 months ago #74942 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
On the Chaney thing, all I'm saying is I'd like to see more runs and quick passes. I'm nowhere near ready to throw in the towel on him...I'm just a run early and often kind of guy. Anyone who's been on here any length of time probably knows that...hell we could run it 90% of the plays in a gane and I'd likely be harping for more runs.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 6 months ago #74943 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
I remember when we had a QB with REAL WHEELS. His name was D.J. Shockley. Most people thought he would be a downgrade from his predecessor. He was an UPGRADE.

Problem though, is he got injured at the wrong time. When you run, you sometimes get HIT . . . HARD. We had to go back to JTIII and we STILL almost beat UF.

Anytime a defense has to keep people up near the line because the QB can take off, even for "only" 5 or 6 yards . . . keeps 'em honest.

I'll keep saying it. This was NEVER going to be our championship year. Maybe next year, more likely 2018. But every game we learn, and every game JE grows up a little more in a TOUGH conference.

We actually have a better record than I expected at this point in the season. 3-1? I'm amazed. I fully expected (not kidding here) 2-2 or possibly 1-3.

No worrying here for me. We will lose to UT (not that I WANT that, just expect it) and then we will get back to winning until UF. Abuurn is now a big concern. Sticking with 8-4 or 7-5. 9-3 is a pipe dream.

We WILL face Miami in a bowl game. Bank on it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds